• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you primarily go to for moral guidance?

What do you primarily go to for moral guidance?

• religion

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • philosophy/reason

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • common sense

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • science

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Throughout much of histiry, people have looked towards religion for moral guidance. With the decline of the importance of religion in western society, people have been turning to other things.

Which do you turn to?

Empathy. Golden Rule. The elevation of the species into a community that strives for the stars while respecting human dignity and life. That sort of ****.

Golden rule, always.

My opinion, if you're looking for moral guidance from somebody or something outside of yourself, you already know it's wrong for you.

Golden rule, always.

That's it?

So no abortion, self-defense, or punishment of criminals? Let's be honest, you wouldn't want others to do that to you.

That's it?

So no abortion, self-defense, or punishment of criminals? Let's be honest, you wouldn't want others to do that to you.

Um, do you know the actual wording of the Golden Rule?

Throughout much of histiry, people have looked towards religion for moral guidance. With the decline of the importance of religion in western society, people have been turning to other things.

Which do you turn to?

How about the novel notion of turning to one's spouse, children, and trusted friends for incite and guidance?
Sadly, if people don't have religious beliefs, or the support of a family or lifelong friends, they may turn to drugs or the bottle.

Um, do you know the actual wording of the Golden Rule?

There are several versions. The classic one is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

If you cheated on your taxes, can you honestly say that you would want "them" to put you in jail?

There are several versions. The classic one is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

If you cheated on your taxes, can you honestly say that you would want "them" to put you in jail?

JFC, what?

Would you want others to cheat you?

JFC, what?

Would you want others to cheat you?

No. So what?

Actually, never mind. I can see that this is too complicated for you.

No. So what?

Actually, never mind. I can see that this is too complicated for you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

So the only reading of your post is you would want others to cheat you, which is why you would ultimately cheat them.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

So the only reading of your post is you would want others to cheat you, which is why you would ultimately cheat them.

Nope, not even close. I said "never mind."

Which do you turn to?

Very interesting question. I think the term 'morality' is best avoided. Ideas of what is 'moral' can change rapidly over time and distance and are almost always related to religious beliefs. It is much more useful to think in terms of ethics. An ethical system which is reasonably stable and acceptable in widely different societies is at least conceivable.

By 'ethical' positions I mean things like 'People in power should not accept bribes' and 'Bribes should not be offered to those in authority'. Propositions which have some chance of being accepted by nearly everyone.

Which do you turn to?

"Be nice."
- Patrick Swayze, Road House.

"Be nice."
- Patrick Swayze, Road House.

Yes. Niceness and kindness, the two most important and beneficial virtues.

I think most people are born with a moral compass. We.know right from wrong. We have compassion for others

Those that don't we call sociopaths psychopath. There are other psychological disorders that effect the moral compass. These people have no compassion, no empathy, they feel no guilt for what they do. Moral guidance is not on their radar. We have one for our president.

Which do you turn to?

Mostly the new testament

The principals of love are a huge inspiration that I try to live up to:

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is not envious, or boastful, or arrogant, or rude. It does not insist on its own way. It is not irritable or resentful. It does not rejoice in wrongdoing but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

The golden rule of course, empathy is kind of a big deal

Those are the general principals at least, for specific things that may lie outside that, I turn mainly towards prayer & bible, then use reason & moral psychology for questions that the bible has no input or ambiguous input on.

Mainly though, I try to base my actions on love and care since that is the central morality that God wants.

Back
Top Bottom