• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you need an assault weapon for?

Opteron

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Chances are that an assault weapon will be used for offense rather than defense. You can't really CCW a rifle so you will probably be carrying a pistol if you are going to defend people while you CCW. Chances are that you will have a pistol nearby, and then have to go get your rifle if you are defending yourself in your home so you probably will use the pistol first to defend yourself. Its more likely that someone planning something or a criminal will try to use an assault weapon, so why not try to get as many of them off the streets as possible? I know that there's not a clear definition of assault weapon, but what do you really need anything that is non-pistol/hunting rifle for?

Chances are that an assault weapon will be used for offense rather than defense. You can't really CCW a rifle so you will probably be carrying a pistol if you are going to defend people while you CCW. Chances are that you will have a pistol nearby, and then have to go get your rifle if you are defending yourself in your home so you probably will use the pistol first to defend yourself. Its more likely that someone planning something or a criminal will try to use an assault weapon, so why not try to get as many of them off the streets as possible? I know that there's not a clear definition of assault weapon, but what do you really need anything that is non-pistol/hunting rifle fr so in or?

Those rabbits seldom stand still when I try to shoot them so I need a weapon capable of firing off a hundred rounds or so in a very short period of time or the rabbit gets away.

Chances are that an assault weapon will be used for offense rather than defense.You can't really CCW a rifle so you will probably be carrying a pistol if you are going to defend people while you CCW. Chances are that you will have a pistol nearby, and then have to go get your rifle if you are defending yourself in your home so you probably will use the pistol first to defend yourself. Its more likely that someone planning something or a criminal will try to use an assault weapon, so why not try to get as many of them off the streets as possible? I know that there's not a clear definition of assault weapon, but what do you really need anything that is non-pistol/hunting rifle for?

I use mine for varmint control and range shooting.

what business is it of yours what I do with my firearms?

Those rabbits seldom stand still when I try to shoot them so I need a weapon capable of firing off a hundred rounds or so in a very short period of time or the rabbit gets away.
Oh, ok just checking..

Chances are that an assault weapon will be used for offense rather than defense. You can't really CCW a rifle so you will probably be carrying a pistol if you are going to defend people while you CCW. Chances are that you will have a pistol nearby, and then have to go get your rifle if you are defending yourself in your home so you probably will use the pistol first to defend yourself. Its more likely that someone planning something or a criminal will try to use an assault weapon, so why not try to get as many of them off the streets as possible? I know that there's not a clear definition of assault weapon, but what do you really need anything that is non-pistol/hunting rifle for?

An amazing concentration—an amazing amount of ignorance crammed into so few words.

Considering the ridiculously low use of "assault weapons" as compared to so many other weapons, why do you feel the need to continue focusing on them?

Enough is enough really. If you want factual information about the firearms that are on the table, let me know. I will be happy to answer them with 100% honesty. If you want to discuss which firearms are at the top of the list of use in violent crime, fine let's talk.

Stop with the reference to a firearm that could just as easily be referred to as a "Defense Weapon" when you talk about gun control. It's just plain irrelevant.

I have lots of training and have fired thousands of rounds though the ar15 type rifle. I am skilled in its maintenance and repair. If I were to buy a rifle, for whatever purposes, it would be that kind. Why? Because it is the one I know best, like most military, police and other service vets.

I do not want the rifle that I know how to take care of and use banned. I do not want the only rifle that thousands of Americans know how to use and take care of banned. It is the modern rifle. It is the commoners' rifle. It is our, the people's, rifle. No other is as widely known within the American public. No other is the American public so trained with. No other can replace it today, for the average American.

No, sorry. You can't train me on a weapon and then tell me to use a completely different design and function for my personal defense and other purposes. That's stupid.

Chances are that an assault weapon will be used for offense rather than defense.

Unsupported assertion.

Its more likely that someone planning something or a criminal will try to use an assault weapon, so why not try to get as many of them off the streets as possible?

How many assault rifles have actually been used in crimes, compared to handguns and "sporting" arms?

I know that there's not a clear definition of assault weapon, but what do you really need anything that is non-pistol/hunting rifle for?

For the same reason that the military and police have them: they're the most effective weapons for the specific kind of task we are discussing.

Most crimes are committed in public, so most criminals don't carry assault weapons because, just as you stated they're hard to hide. Being as such, an assault rifle is far more likely to be used in home defense than it is for a mugging.

Well, firstly and foremostly because we don't have the Second Amendment so that we can shoot at deer or robbers. We have it so that we can shoot at government.

Secondly, the definition of "assault weapon" is aesthetic. It is whether or not the weapon looks scary or militaristic to the person who happens to be writing the law. Actual military capabilities (for example, the M4 has a three round burst, the M249 is a fully automatic weapon) are already illegal for the general civilian populace unless you have a very special (and difficult to get) license from the ATF. So when the Administration says it wants to ban all "military style assault weapons", then it either means the ones that are already banned (in which case success! everyone goes home happy!), or it means the ones whose exteriors look military, but which do not actually have those military capabilities.

Thirdly, it is actually (thankfully) less likely that a criminal will plan something with an "assault weapon", if by that you mean a rifle. As you point out, rifles are difficult to conceal about ones' person, meaning that particularly violent and/or organized groups carry them, but most criminals don't. Rifles are actually one of the least-popular murder weapons. Knives are used in five times as many murders, fists in twice as many. Focusing in on rifles in murder-prevention is sort of silly when all of these "assault knives" are lying around.

Fourthly, since rifles are unlikely to be carried out in public in a CCW manner, they are more likely to be used for defense, rather than offense, since they are generally staying in the home. Someone ripped out on meth in my kitchen at 2a.m. posing a direct threat to my children needs to be met with the biggest thing I can bring to bear, not the thing I can fit most easily into the small of my back.

I have lots of training and have fired thousands of rounds though the ar15 type rifle. I am skilled in its maintenance and repair. If I were to buy a rifle, for whatever purposes, it would be that kind. Why? Because it is the one I know best, like most military, police and other service vets.

I do not want the rifle that I know how to take care of and use banned. I do not want the only rifle that thousands of Americans know how to use and take care of banned. It is the modern rifle. It is the commoners' rifle. It is our, the people's, rifle. No other is as widely known within the American public. No other is the American public so trained with. No other can replace it today, for the average American.

No, sorry. You can't train me on a weapon and then tell me to use a completely different design and function for my personal defense and other purposes. That's stupid.

That is precisely correct. I want an AR-15 because that's what I'm good with.

What do you need the right to free speach on the Internet for? See how rediculas that sounds? I don't have to prove need for my rights.

Why do you think need is important? Why should anyone even justify such nonsense with a response? A right doesn't call for a "need" to have it, so why even humor the idea it does?

One hopes one will never need a weapon. One does not want to need a weapon and be lacking. And most imporantly, if one wants whatever type of gun you want to arbitrarily label "assaultive" as a motherflipping doorstop, as long as they don't hurt anyone else (who isn't attacking them), it's none of your goshdarn business.

Where is it written that Americans can only buy the things they "need"? In most cases it's not a matter of necessity, owning a semi auto rifle, it's a desire.

Have you ever bought something you just "wanted"? I don't "need" a lot of things. So maybe we should just get all "unnecessary" items that Americans don't really "need" off the streets. Whew....then we'll all be safe from one another.

I don't "NEED" a car than can travel in excess of 150 mph, that can get from 0 to 100 in less than 10 seconds....

But man, it's wicked good fun, and when I go to the track, if I want to be competitive, I certainly DO need it. Against the likes of some of the newer sports cars, bringing a civic is like bringing a rock to a gun fight. Nope, corvette, or go home. But the car was designed to go faster than the legal limit anywhere in the US. So why should I be allowed to have it? It's nothing more than a tool for law breaking.

You heard it here, folks! BAN ALL CORVETTES!!!!!

I don't "NEED" a car than can travel in excess of 150 mph, that can get from 0 to 100 in less than 10 seconds....

But man, it's wicked good fun, and when I go to the track, if I want to be competitive, I certainly DO need it. Against the likes of some of the newer sports cars, bringing a civic is like bringing a rock to a gun fight. Nope, corvette, or go home. But the car was designed to go faster than the legal limit anywhere in the US. So why should I be allowed to have it? It's nothing more than a tool for law breaking.

You heard it here, folks! BAN ALL CORVETTES!!!!!

Nah, just impose a "user fee" of, say, $1,000 per year, so as to not be an infringement, simply a reasonable restriction. ;)

Nah, just impose a "user fee" of, say, $1,000 per year, so as to not be an infringement, simply a reasonable restriction. ;)
Sure as long as we can do the same for voting rights.

Sure as long as we can do the same for voting rights.

Voting is actually done (occasionally) by the majority, that makes it a libtard protected right (political suicide to try to limit it), while owning "scary looking rifles" is done by a tiny minority of libtards (politically popular to "restrict", politically unpopular to defend "no restriction"), thus that "minority" right may be "reasonably restricted". ;)

Per the 2nd Admentment (A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.) you may be expected to have and be able to use an assault wepon. The second isn't about protecting just your own stuff, in fact that is secondary; rarther, it about protecting the country, i.e. the free state.

copysize.jpg

There is no difference. Should all rifles be banned?

Courts have struck that crap down, also!

copysize.jpg

There is no difference. Should all rifles be banned?

Dayum, but that second one looks very scary.......:eek:

It must be very, very bad!

Back
Top Bottom