• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What do you like best about your country?

americanwoman

dangerously addictive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is mostly for people living outside the US. What are the best things about your country and why do you love it?

:2wave:

1. Springtime fashion. The girls on my campus this spring semester were, for lack of a better word, heavenly.

God forbid the Burka ever becomes IN fashion.

2. The Ganja - The best bud always finds its way to our shores. Got Kush?

3. The media - With YouTube, and Blogging, there isn't anything I can't hear or see. I'm exposed, err make that bombarded with all the information, humor, and beauty I could ask for.

This is mostly for people living outside the US. What are the best things about your country and why do you love it?
:2wave:
Good question. The geography of Israel is varied. Forests with streams, deserts, uplands, a seacoast, and a rift valley. Israel dates to antiquity, and there are fascinating archaeological digs and historical sites. It is also the birthplace of both Judaism and Christianity. The architecture is an intoxicating blend of the very ancient and the very modern. A special law in Jerusalem specifies that new construction has to accent the ancient ambiance of the city, and buildings/homes must be constructed of quarried stone.

My city of Tel Aviv is nestled on the Mediterranean and was founded in 1904. It abuts the ancient city of Yaffo (Jaffa), and the Tel Aviv/Yaffo metropolitan area bustles with well over one million inhabitants. The weather is very moderate, and it never snows. Palm trees and tropical plants and flowers are everywhere. It has a very lively night scene with outdoor cafe's and coffee houses. The royal blue Med coastline has many beautiful beaches, a lover's promonade, and five boat marina's. The city skyline is also stunning, with modernist skyscrapers sheathed in smoked glass. Many museums, an Opera House, a Concert Hall, an outdoor concert venue, and always something going on.

One of the best things is the people. Much like the United States, many of the citizens of Israel hail from all over the globe. It is a melting pot of hundreds of different nationalities. Although Hebrew and Arabic are the official languages, a good percentage of the population also speaks English. Maps and directions are always in these three languages. I have yet to meet a tourist who expressed any disappointment, and most visitors to Israel vow to return. All in all, a beautiful and unique country.

I like the terrain.

From the ocean's to the deserts to the mountains to the forests to the farmlands to the national parks...

All of it (except New York).

(And Chicago.)

Zion was cool (although you had to go to Kenosha to get booze).

Good question. The geography of Israel is varied. Forests with streams, deserts, uplands, a seacoast, and a rift valley. Israel dates to antiquity, and there are fascinating archaeological digs and historical sites. It is also the birthplace of both Judaism and Christianity. The architecture is an intoxicating blend of the very ancient and the very modern. A special law in Jerusalem specifies that new construction has to accent the ancient ambiance of the city, and buildings/homes must be constructed of quarried stone.

My city of Tel Aviv is nestled on the Mediterranean and was founded in 1904. It abuts the ancient city of Yaffo (Jaffa), and the Tel Aviv/Yaffo metropolitan area bustles with well over one million inhabitants. The weather is very moderate, and it never snows. Palm trees and tropical plants and flowers are everywhere. It has a very lively night scene with outdoor cafe's and coffee houses. The royal blue Med coastline has many beautiful beaches, a lover's promonade, and five boat marina's. The city skyline is also stunning, with modernist skyscrapers sheathed in smoked glass. Many museums, an Opera House, a Concert Hall, an outdoor concert venue, and always something going on.

One of the best things is the people. Much like the United States, many of the citizens of Israel hail from all over the globe. It is a melting pot of hundreds of different nationalities. Although Hebrew and Arabic are the official languages, a good percentage of the population also speaks English. Maps and directions are always in these three languages. I have yet to meet a tourist who expressed any disappointment, and most visitors to Israel vow to return. All in all, a beautiful and unique country.

You do have some great fossil sites…………;)
(Paleontology and archeology)

Like the discoveries made at the Tabun Cave.

I also like our system of government.

In the long run, I think it works.

I wish they would make it a law that each member of the Iraqi Parliment would have to spend one hour a day reading this website. I mean, we go at it as much as any Sunni or Shiite. But we don't whind up shooting each other over our differences. I know there are some extreme examples. But those are extreme. They could see us bitch and moan and yell and complain and eventually get somewhere farther along from where we started. Maybe not where we want to be. But it's the "formula" that counts. And in this country, we have a good one.

One of our best exports is how we settle our differences.

I also like our system of government.

In the long run, I think it works.

I wish they would make it a law that each member of the Iraqi Parliment would have to spend one hour a day reading this website. I mean, we go at it as much as any Sunni or Shiite. But we don't whind up shooting each other over our differences. I know there are some extreme examples. But those are extreme. They could see us bitch and moan and yell and complain and eventually get somewhere farther along from where we started. Maybe not where we want to be. But it's the "formula" that counts. And in this country, we have a good one.

One of our best exports is how we settle our differences.

But we dont have people telling us I have to kill you because you dont believe in the same god as I do.

Orignally posted by Cherokee;
But we dont have people telling us I have to kill you because you dont believe in the same god as I do.
Every society has their own whacko's. It's not the religion.

Getting back on topic, I might of even liked Indian Reservations if my first girlfriend hadn't of dumped me on the Pueblo one outside of Alberqurque.

Every society has their own whacko's. It's not the religion.

In the US it isnt but in the ME it is. Their lives and laws are all based on Islam and what version they follow.

Getting back on topic, I might of even liked Indian Reservations if my first girlfriend hadn't of dumped me on the Pueblo one outside of Alberqurque.

sorry but thats too damn funny..."Looks like we are having white meat tonight"....:lamo

But all kidding aside most Reservations you visit, its like going to a third world country. Or worse...

Originally posted by Cherokee;
But all kidding aside most Reservations you visit, its like going to a third world country. Or worse...
Not any more. They are the new aristocracy.
It's where I go to see how bad I am at Black Jack!

A treat for the guys... a page of Israeli models :mrgreen:

Israeli Girls - SkyscraperCity

This is all well and good, but I must say that I am a bit distraught over the way the once fine Jewish tailoring has been allowed to sink to such depths!Just look at the top worn by Moran Atias. There is so little structural integrity to the fabric of such that it has obviously succumbed to the pressures exerted from within and has become quite threadbare. Poor thing. No wonder her lips look so pouty. I imagine she is just as distressed at this lack of competant tailoring as am I. Good thing Israel is a rather warm climate, though, for I can just imagine her having to wear that thing in the cold. There, I just imagined it.

oops. I just imagined it again...............

oops. I just imagined it again...............
There are more pages of models in that particular thread.

Lol. If I just told folks that Israel is bursting at the seams with beautiful women, no one would really believe it. Sooo....

This thread captures Israeli women doing the night scene. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Israeli girlz no.2 - SkyscraperCity

There are more pages of models in that particular thread.

Lol. If I just told folks that Israel is bursting at the seams with beautiful women, no one would really believe it. Sooo....

This thread captures Israeli women doing the night scene. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Israeli girlz no.2 - SkyscraperCity

Thanks! I loved the pics, lots of diversity but all the girls were beautiful. Now how are the men?? :mrgreen:

I love that my society still values the individual over the group. That it values hard work and intelligence over laziness and hand wringing. That if I do well in life, I don't have to apologize to anyone for my accomplishments... or hide them in fear that I'll be robbed by a mob... or some local warlord. I'm proud that my country isn't a tribalist society that still decides on issues and principle instead of just "my faction says this and it is to that that I give my fealty"... like ****ing peasants.

And beyond all, I'm proud that these values have made us strong, wealthy, wise, and noble.

A treat for the guys... a page of Israeli models

Wooooaw I planned to go to Italy, I think I'm gonna move to Israel :2razz:

I was thinking about it...what makes my country unique? Its history!

Belgium in itself is recent (1830) and tiny (30.000 km²), so there are not so many world-famous Belgians. But for more than 2000 years, we had a very rich history (see the list of battles):
1) we are right in the middle, just between Germany, France and UK...the perfect battlefield!
2) With northern Italy, Flanders was the wealthiest aera during the Middle Age, everybody wanted to own it!

Thats why Belgium has belonged to nearly all major continental European power: first, Gallia Belgica, then, Roman, Frank, the Holy Roman Empire, Habsburgian Spain, Habsburgian Austria, Revolutionary France, United Kingdom of the Netherlands...and then Belgium!

So we have thousands and thousands of castles, citadels, palaces, belfries, medieval cityhalls, cathedrals...an average of 2 castles per village in several regions! (in my village, there are 1200 inhabitants, 2 castles, 1 farm-castle and 1 WWII forteress)
Eupedia : Belgium Guide : List of town halls, town squares and belfries by region
Eupedia : Belgium Guide : List of cathedrals, basilicas & collegiate chuches by era
Eupedia : Belgium Guide : Castles list by era

(oh a funny thing...in Mechelen, a city in Flanders, there are 7 or 8 cathedrals/churches...and only 3 priests :mrgreen: )

We also have a few important political leaders
-> Clovis, king of the Franks, first king of France, was born ad raised here.
-> Charles Martel, who stopped the Islamist conquest of Europe, who founded the Carolingian dynasty, was born and raised here.
-> Charlemagne, founder of the Holy Roman Empire, was born and raised here.
-> Godfrey of Bouillon, leader of the first Crusade, first European king of Jerusalem, was born and raised here.
-> Baldwin XI, count of Flanders and Hainaut, leader of the 4th Crusade, became the first Emperor of the Latin Empire of Constantinople, was born and raised here.
-> Emperor Charles V of Habsburg, King of Spain, Netherlands and Southern Italy, Holy Roman Emperor, duke of Milan, who oversaw the colonisation of the Americas, was born and raised here.

and some artists
Eupedia : Belgium Guide - Famous Belgians : A few selected works by Flemish Painters
Eupedia : Belgium Guide - Famous Belgian people

but he most important...we have more comic makers per square km than any other country in the world :rofl
Eupedia : Belgium Guide - Interesting facts about Belgium

...to sum it up...what I like the best about my country is its rich history, which gave it its diversity, its style, its landscapes, its culture, and our lifestyle.

Last edited:

Any country that produced Natalie Portman obviously has plenty of beauty.

What I love best about my country is the freedom and the diversity. I love all the different regions and culture we have here. From the majestic beauty of our national parks to the wonders of the grand canyon, from the beaches of Miami to the snow covered mountains in Colorado. The laid back Californians to the high energy New Yorkers. And of course, the hearty midwesterners like myself. The ability we have to pull together when tragedy strikes and forget our differences is great.
The freedoms I have and the opportunities here are endless and I am proud to be an American.

Don't have much time right now, so I'll be succinct and pithy.

I love the country I live in for its capitalism, its culture of efficiency, and its incredible diversity. I immigrated from a culture that until recently had none of these things.

Back
Top Bottom