• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you do when your kid is more square than you?

Don't beat yourself up Hawkeye. Not a father alive doesn't think or wish they could have done a better job here or there. Kids don't come with instruction booklets you know.

You just play it like you know it, do the best you know how, and hope for the best.

And NEVER forget as your children are growing up and maturing, so are we. And we will continue to mature until the day we die. No one was born with all the answers.

And, from what I gathered, you seem to have a lot of love for your kids and are approaching your days to come with eyes wide open. You have made yourself available and I would venture to guess that your kids will never get to old to hug and love.

In my book, that makes you a good dad. Keep up the good work.

NOTE: neither my wife nor I have ever abused the kids.

When I ask the kids now the general response is "things growing up were crazy, stuff happened that should never happen, but you never lied to us and you taught us to be smart strong individuals, which is as unusual as it is appreciated".

I score that as a win but dang I am retired now, I have all the time in the world, I wish I was spending more of it with my kids.

When I ask the kids now the general response is "things growing up were crazy, stuff happened that should never happen, but you never lied to us and you taught us to be smart strong individuals, which is as unusual as it is appreciated".

I score that as a win but dang I am retired now, I have all the time in the world, I wish I was spending more of it with my kids.

You don't strike me as one who would ever abuse a child. I would bet the farm that your kids always knew your love for them. Never doubted it either.

That's what grandchildren are for. Used to have a bumper sticker - "If I knew grandchildren were this much fun, I'd have had them first".

Picked up on that did ya?

:rock

I am a truth teller/truth seeker with very little ego to bruise. I usually explain this by telling people that I have been Zen since 1985 but the truth is I have always been a weirdo. At some point I got to be old enough that I decided trying to hide what I am is a waste of good time and energy.

I am real, I assume that others are real unless I have a decent reason to think not, and let the chips fall where they may.....this is how I live my life now. It is not that hard, at least around here I care a lot more about the ideas than I do the people behind the keyboards speaking them, since I cant really know what my wife calls my imaginary friends anyways.

You got this call wrong, better luck next time.

My oldest son makes Limbaugh look like a liberal and is in church every time the door swings open. Izod, Dockers, golf, the whole yuppie 9 yards. He is a loving father and works hard to maintain his conservative credentials.

My middle son is an avowed atheist and a die-hard liberal democrat. Extreme opposite of his big brother. He is a successful professional and highly regarded in the international online gaming circles. But he would rather sit at his enormous gaming console with three huge HD flatscreens he uses for monitors, than go out and socialize.

My youngest son, arguably the smartest of the three, is very laid back, loves Pink Floyd and Jimmy Buffet, Comicon conventions, wears cargo shorts and sports a scruffy beard and could care less if Biff and Chaz approves of his golf shoes or not. He is totally sober but smoke 'em if you got 'em. He could care less. He banks more money, has better benefits, than his two older brothers (and even me.) He is the only one I know who can defeat his older brother in online gaming. And he makes it look easy.

His favorite pastime seems to be hanging out with me. (We are so much alike it's funny. :lamo)

So. There ya go. I got it coming from all directions.

By your description, I get the distinct impression you don't favor your oldest. You seem to suggest he's pretty shallow, caring all about brand labels and what people think of him. Am I misreading that?

That's what grandchildren are for. Used to have a bumper sticker - "If I knew grandchildren were this much fun, I'd have had them first".

Ya but.....#1 daughter is gay and not sure she wants kids and has a high powered career. #2 daughter will have kids but she makes it clear probably not for at least 10 years. Son is only 22 and expects to be married in 5 years and will have kids, but again likely not for 10 years because he wants to have fun with the currently non existent wife first.

So that prospect is far enough off that it does not help much.

By your description, I get the distinct impression you don't favor your oldest. You seem to suggest he's pretty shallow, caring all about brand labels and what people think of him. Am I misreading that?

Dont we all have our favorites?

Well he is at drinking school and he smoked weed a bunch before he went ROTC, on that front I suspect Jealousy. And the bankruptcy..... that is tied into trying to start a business, which he worked in, which he got to see me run (often well), which he wanted to run after he gets done with an Army career, so its complicated. We never told him that we were in trouble, he came back from 6 weeks in Italy for school and got told that we were closing in a week. He felt blindsided for sure, like we had not been honest with him, which we were not, and there was a reason but that was wrong. The choices that he does not respect are not wanting a career and being a stay at home dad, that does not compute for him. But he is OK with women in the military, he thinks if you are going to have kids then a parent should be home with them at least part time...which does not compute for me, because it has to be the husband who does that, so why is it a failing on my part to want to do that?.

The real life people tell me that the only thing to do is keep working on it, trying to keep the lines of communication open, that he likely will come around in time, at least to talk about it. I am just a little thrown because I never expected this age to be difficult for us. My dad died when I was 24, with us never having much of a relationship, so my personal experiences are coming up short at the moment so far as a fix or a prognosis goes , thus my query here......

Wow, you're just blaming him for everything. I wouldn't want to be around my dad if he was so obviously hostile to me.

Ya but.....#1 daughter is gay and not sure she wants kids and has a high powered career. #2 daughter will have kids but she makes it clear probably not for at least 10 years. Son is only 22 and expects to be married in 5 years and will have kids, but again likely not for 10 years because he wants to have fun with the currently non existent wife first.

So that prospect is far enough off that it does not help much.

That sucks, my brother was in that place for a long while, but years later one of his kids finally decided to procreate. Now he sees what I've been raving about.

Btw, if you're zen, let it go and watch it happen with joy. You know, my daughter was convinced she was going to be an international lawyer and would not have kids until she was 30+. Her first of three was born when she was 22. We both know about the best lain plans of mice and men...

Dont we all have our favorites?

Sure, you're afforded that opportunity, you're kid is stuck with you though. Maybe the guy wants different things for his life. He doesn't want to be stoned all the time and you judge him for that and tell us all how self centered he is? He probably doesn't want to hear about your sexual fetishes either. I know I wouldn't.

Maybe you could try being proud of him.

Wow, you're just blaming him for everything. I wouldn't want to be around my dad if he was so obviously hostile to me.

I cant tell if you are playing with me, or rather listening really poorly, so I think we are done here.

Don't beat yourself up Hawkeye. Not a father alive doesn't think or wish they could have done a better job here or there. Kids don't come with instruction booklets you know.

You just play it like you know it, do the best you know how, and hope for the best.

And NEVER forget as your children are growing up and maturing, so are we. And we will continue to mature until the day we die. No one was born with all the answers.

And, from what I gathered, you seem to have a lot of love for your kids and are approaching your days to come with eyes wide open. You have made yourself available and I would venture to guess that your kids will never get to old to hug and love.

In my book, that makes you a good dad. Keep up the good work.

How is he beating himself up, though? He keeps blaming his kid.

That sucks, my brother was in that place for a long while, but years later one of his kids finally decided to procreate. Now he sees what I've been raving about.

Btw, if you're zen, let it go and watch it happen with joy. You know, my daughter was convinced she was going to be an international lawyer and would not have kids until she was 30+. Her first of three was born when she was 22. We both know about the best lain plans of mice and men...

True that...I was never going to get married, I was sure, then changed my mind and proposed within 6 months of meeting my wife.

I cant tell if you are playing with me, or rather listening really poorly, so I think we are done here.

Sorry I couldn't offer the pats on the back you're apparently only interested in. I can only say what it looked like to me and judging by some of the earlier responses, I don't think I'm the only one.

I favor all my children unconditionally, but, if you are asking me if he is the most opposite of me of all my sons, yes. Heck, that might be his saving grace! LOL!

I wouldn't call him shallow but he does go for name brand **** and likes to give the impression he lives in a Stepford, all is in order, perfect world. Cappuccino anyone?

You know. His children are on gluten free diets, wear only the latest fashion wear, prohibited to watch anything on television that doesn't pass Jesus's muster. (Sponge Bob is not even permitted. LOL) I fear that when his children reach their teen years they may seriously rebel as kids do. But he, like myself and all my children, still have much to learn and a lot of life to live yet. I am very proud of this son, nonetheless. Especially his fathering qualities. (I'd like to think I had a little to do with that.)

Sorry I couldn't offer the pats on the back you're apparently only interested in. I can only say what it looked like to me and judging by some of the earlier responses, I don't think I'm the only one.

I am interested in comparing notes with others who are at this stage of their lives in similar situations, or better yet were but are older now and have a better perspective. THis is not something that I want to get into with my friends (who near as I can tell would not have much to say on the subject at any rate) , and I have almost no family, did not have much to start with and what I did had have had a not cool tendency to die young. I am less interested in getting told what you think I want to hear than just about everyone you have ever met, when I start to feel that is what is going on I tend to take a hike, I want the truth.

For the record I am not blaming my kid. I am stating that we are not on the same sheet of music, which bothers me. I am hoping that it gets better but I dont make it a practice to rely on luck, if I want something bad enough I try to make my own luck. I am looking for tips. And I am in the self help isle so I figure I am in the right place, no?

Last edited:
Been trying, but getting time out of him is damn hard, I present a lot of ideas but get the brush off most of the time. He lives 7 hours away and is habitually over scheduled (this is not a story, it is the truth) so time?....ya....

As I've read this thread, two thoughts...

#1 He lives an inconvenient distance away. Seven hours isn't drop-in distance, it's an overnight. If he's busy, that's tough.

#2 I kept thinking of the song Cat's in the Cradle.

As I've read this thread, two thoughts...

#1 He lives an inconvenient distance away. Seven hours isn't drop-in distance, it's an overnight. If he's busy, that's tough.

#2 I kept thinking of the song Cat's in the Cradle.

Ya, some things just cant be phoned or texted in. Not only the distance, but he has a job, is super busy, he cant come home for the weekend most of the time now even if he wanted to. Then in all likelihood a year from now the Army will send him further away. Which makes me want us make some progress on better understanding each other now when he is only 7 hours away and home once in awhile.

I have loved that song since way back.

How is he beating himself up, though? He keeps blaming his kid.

I was walking the mutt and it occurred to me what the problem is: You dont comprehend that I consider my kid to be an equal. It has to be that.

In case you and the mods are curious I was inspired to do this thread by someone, I think RetiredUSN, talking about his kids, about an altercation with a daughter who he no longer has contact with. I liked his post and wrote one commending him on his honesty, I said that not everyone could do that. I figured that there might amongst all the smart traveled people here be someone with some wisdom to offer me. I know that this is not the direction DP has operated in at least recently but I am a bit of a rebel, I dont mind seeing if we can do new things. I feel the same way about pumping some more fun into the place but dont get confused and assume that I am trolling here. I am trusting people to have more sense than that.

I was walking the mutt and it occurred to me what the problem is: You dont comprehend that I consider my kid to be an equal. It has to be that.

In case you and the mods are curious I was inspired to do this thread by someone, I think RetiredUSN, talking about his kids, about an altercation with a daughter who he no longer has contact with. I liked his post and wrote one commending him on his honesty, I said that not everyone could do that. I figured that there might amongst all the smart traveled people here be someone with some wisdom to offer me. I know that this is not the direction DP has operated in at least recently but I am a bit of a rebel, I dont mind seeing if we can do new things. I feel the same way about pumping some more fun into the place but dont get confused and assume that I am trolling here. I am trusting people to have more sense than that.

What I see is that you started a thread calling him a 'square', complained that he doesn't like to smoke dope like you and told us all what an uptight, uncool, self centered person he is who doesn't appreciate you like you think he should and you wonder why being around you may not be all that great for him.

Ya, some things just cant be phoned or texted in. Not only the distance, but he has a job, is super busy, he cant come home for the weekend most of the time now even if he wanted to. Then in all likelihood a year from now the Army will send him further away. Which makes me want us make some progress on better understanding each other now when he is only 7 hours away and home once in awhile.

I have loved that song since way back.

And what strides have you made in understanding him? Is there anything he's doing you actually approve of?

And what strides have you made in understanding him? Is there anything he's doing you actually approve of?

The last big mistake he made was 3 years ago, and he knows that this is what I think, because we do talk some.

He also knows that I am right.

What I see is that you started a thread calling him a 'square', complained that he doesn't like to smoke dope like you and told us all what an uptight, uncool, self centered person he is who doesn't appreciate you like you think he should and you wonder why being around you may not be all that great for him.

Which is supposed to be worse than being an alcoholic weed fanatic who failed in business, retired at 54, and is living off my wifes income till I kick??!!

Ya no, clearly you are dragging some baggage of your own into this thread, because your logic system is kaput.

The last big mistake he made was 3 years ago, and he knows that this is what I think, because we do talk some.

He also knows that I am right.

I'm sure you believe you're right in every regard. Is there anything positive you'd like us to actually know about him?

Back
Top Bottom