• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what do you do when you just found out a new

liblady

pirate lover
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
friend has been a senior scam artist? damn, just damn.

Is there a "rest of the story" here that I am missing?:confused:

Is there a "rest of the story" here that I am missing?:confused:

just found a out that who i thought was a dear old lady was arrested about 8 years ago for scamming other dear old people. don't know the disposition, but i suspect she provided evidence that helped put her partner in jail.

point being, i had befriended her and now i feel stupid. i felt like something wasn't quite right, so i googled her, and OMG! i wouldn't think she was doing anything wrong NOW, but she was at 70, so maybe she still is at 79.

Wouldn't bother me, as they would get nothing from me. Shakespeare wasn't half right when he said, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be". Well, except with banks and the like.

You never loan a friend money. Ever. Hell, 99% of the time I wouldn't loan family members money - including my mother. Any money I've given her I assume as a sunk cost.

Wouldn't bother me, as they would get nothing from me. Shakespeare wasn't half right when he said, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be". Well, except with banks and the like.

You never loan a friend money. Ever. Hell, 99% of the time I wouldn't loan family members money - including my mother. Any money I've given her I assume as a sunk cost.

she was on my boat for an entire weekend with other guests. and i'm not talking about loaning money, i'm talking about scamming $$$$$$ from gullible seniors. i don't know how to handle this.

Ah. See, I'm never the central event of a friend gathering. To do so means you carry responsibility. I actually enjoy going to parties/get-togethers where I don't know everyone and can just chill with new people.

The closest I come to it is having hosted a couple Super Bowl parties in the past that contain both co-workers and a few of my best friends. Having said that, I knew all of them very well, so there would be no shocks there.

Ah. See, I'm never the central event of a friend gathering. To do so means you carry responsibility. I actually enjoy going to parties/get-togethers where I don't know everyone and can just chill with new people.

The closest I come to it is having hosted a couple Super Bowl parties in the past that contain both co-workers and a few of my best friends. Having said that, I knew all of them very well, so there would be no shocks there.

google is a curse.

point being, i had befriended her and now i feel stupid. i felt like something wasn't quite right, so i googled her, and OMG! i wouldn't think she was doing anything wrong NOW, but she was at 70, so maybe she still is at 79.

Ahhh, don't be hard on yourself, it's kind of natural to think of old people as nice. Experience has taught me that just because someone is elderly, it certainly doesn't make them automatically honest and upstanding.:mrgreen: Just chalk it up as another lesson.:)

Ahhh, don't be hard on yourself, it's kind of natural to think of old people as nice. Experience has taught me that just because someone is elderly, it certainly doesn't make them automatically honest and upstanding.:mrgreen: Just chalk it up as another lesson.:)

i thought she was a fascinating woman.....and she is, just not the same kind of fascinating!

to answer your question

you don't let that startling revelation affect how you deal with other people

Lib,

Do you have any indication that she is still engaged in fraudulent activities?

friend has been a senior scam artist? damn, just damn.

Sounds a little like 'Gee dad...I know my friend is an asshole...what do I do?"

Well...I dont know son...what do you think you do?

"I guess...maybe...stop hangin out with him?"

That sure makes a lot of sense to me...

Sounds a little like 'Gee dad...I know my friend is an asshole...what do I do?"

Well...I dont know son...what do you think you do?

"I guess...maybe...stop hangin out with him?"

That sure makes a lot of sense to me...

thanks for your insight.

just found a out that who i thought was a dear old lady was arrested about 8 years ago for scamming other dear old people. don't know the disposition, but i suspect she provided evidence that helped put her partner in jail.

You're not clairvoyant, although you admit that something wasn't right about the woman.
You're not stupid, don't kick yourself.

My suggestion, as hard as it might be to do is, to stop associating with that person.
There is some sort of initiative warning signal you're detecting from this person.

You're not clairvoyant, although you admit that something wasn't right about the woman.
You're not stupid, don't kick yourself.

My suggestion, as hard as it might be to do is, to stop associating with that person.
There is some sort of initiative warning signal you're detecting from this person.

yeah, that's a given. however, we are all part of a large group and i feel that the group should be warned. the facts i have aren't fleshed out though and i can't conceive of even approachiong her with questions, although i might have to. worse yet, group events are numerous and well attended.

yeah, that's a given. however, we are all part of a large group and i feel that the group should be warned. the facts i have aren't fleshed out though and i can't conceive of even approachiong her with questions, although i might have to. worse yet, group events are numerous and well attended.

Do these people trust you more than her?

I don't want to suggest starting a line of gossip that could get you more trouble than what it's worth.
If it were me, I'd put enough space between her and myself to prevent any possibility of theft or scamming.
At the same time, if you don't want to possibly embarrass yourself and that woman, just go along enjoy yourself but stay guarded.
Do that for yourself and your friends.

Do these people trust you more than her?

I don't want to suggest starting a line of gossip that could get you more trouble than what it's worth.
If it were me, I'd put enough space between her and myself to prevent any possibility of theft or scamming.
At the same time, if you don't want to possibly embarrass yourself and that woman, just go along enjoy yourself but stay guarded.
Do that for yourself and your friends.

who doesn't trust a tiny 80 yr old lady? ;-)

thanks for your insight.

I know it was glib but sometimes the right answers are the most obvious ones.

BTW...I looked up the Morgan. Its nice!

Back
Top Bottom