• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you do for a living?

I am a stay-at-home-mom/military spouse, with the Navy Reserves as a part-time job, currently. I am going to finish up my 20 about 8 years from now, but I don't know if I'll stay longer if/when I make chief. Probably not. I plan to use my college fund and possibly spouse's tuition assistance to go to school, but I haven't really decided what I want to do yet.

I was in the Navy since a week after my 18th birthday. I was active duty for almost 10 years. I have the education and experience to potentially work in almost any power plant in the country, but I don't really want to work in that field right now and my husband makes enough to support us for now.

Prior to the military, the only job I had in high school was working as a "helping hand" (essentially a paid candystriper) at the nursing home that my mother worked at.

You do any sports psychology for kids?

Not one of my specialties, but I have done a little bit of it. Lots of focus on behavior not outcome.

that reminds me of that Saturday NIght Live Skit with the Child Psychologist ("Dr"Laraine Newman dressed like a little girl)

I remember that. Very funny stuff.

CC, could you explain a bit how psychotherapy differs from psychiatry and psychology? I have always wondered.

Psychiatry requires a medical degree, hence med school. Psychiatrists can prescribe medication. Psychotherapy is the catch-all description of all types of talk/interactive therapy. Pscychiatrists can practice psychotherapy, though in this day and age, only a very small percentage actually do. Psychology is a disipline that describes the science of the mind an behavior. It encompasses both psychiatry, psychotherapy, psychological research, and many other things.

Right now I am a full time student and a part time pharmacy technician. I am majoring in molecular biology with plans to attend pharmacy school in 2012.

I write. I recap TV shows, and write ads for I don't want to talk about it. But the pay is good. And thanks to a dear friend, I'm about to take one more shot at internet marketing and yes. I think this time is it. And if it is, the world shall be my oyster.

Chief Risk Officer for a private insurer in DC. Worked on Wall St for 20+ years, up through the ranks as a salesman, a trader, and a managing director, then as a financial risk consultant, traveling worldwide. After a couple of cardiac events (the last of which had me going into cardiac arrest in the ER-took three shocks to get me back, and no, probably wasn't in any real danger since I didn't see the white light), settled down into this almost-no-travel, significantly less stressful position.

Really enjoy working in DC - my job takes me to many meetings/conferences at the various think tanks here in DC (and there are many of them!) as well as interacting with several government agencies. Working on Wall St. was very visceral and high pressure, relying heavily on guts and instinct; working in DC is much more cerebral, drawing much more on analytical skills and ability to 'play well with others.' My days on Wall St were good, but I feel kinda like baseball players before free agency: missed the really big salaries+bonuses that later became prevalent. Oh, well.

In Vietnam in '67 and '68, with the Army's 9th Infantry Division. 9th Inf. Division known as 'the Old Reliables' hence my avatar. Very, very formative years; significant lessons learned about what life is really all about.

Tend to be very much a centrist, with liberal social tendencies offset by conservative fiscal leanings. Have worked in campaigns for both Dems and Repubs. I find that neither party has a monopoly on good ideas. In fact, seldom does either party have a good idea, IMO. It is way too much party-line nonsense getting in the way. Consequently, I tend to look to the individual, not the party. I guess that makes me an independent.

Conservative enterpeurs typically (although not all) seem to think they are doing everyone else a favor.

What the hell does that mean?

It means... typical liberal hackery thinking that they are somehow morally superior to everyone else. :shrug:

I am currently a systems analyst for a defense contractor, specializing in PATRIOT missile systems. Prior to this, I was a High School chemistry/physical science/math teacher for 11 years. Prior to that I was a test engineer working on Titan and Delta rocket motors. I also did some work for upgrades to the space shuttle's orbital maneuvering system motors. Prior to that I spent 7 years on active duty with the Air Force as an engineer's assistant/surveyor. I have been in the Army National Guard for 11 years. I deployed to Kuwait/Iraq with the USAF during Desert Storm and have done two deployments in OIF with the Army. As a teenager and during college, I worked construction doing mainly drywall. I still, on occasion, will do a drywall job or two if I need some extra $$$$ or if one of my friends needs a hand.

Even though both of my parents and most of my relative are liberals, I somehow managed to overcome that and turn out conservative.

I currently work in a coal mines (1800 feet shaft). I help keep 16 miles of belt line running, work on de-gas, a process of drilling into blocks of coal to bleed the methane out so that we can stay mining without our equipment gassing off from too high of methane levels (or blowing up :2razz:), and last but not least i work as a Long-wall jack setter, supports the mountain as the shear (cutter) advances forward into the block.

Figured I'd post this since I'm usually on here everyday and most people find my job interesting.

Back
Top Bottom