• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you believe in the Bible to be true, if anything?

There are a few interpretations that could be correct, none of which regard sewing needles, from 'Christ was using hyperbole to make a point' to 'Jesus was talking about a Needle Gate'. Either way, the point Jesus was trying to make is the same.

eye of the needle in the bible - Google Search
From wikipedia

"The "Eye of the Needle" has been claimed to be a gate in Jerusalem, which opened after the main gate was closed at night. A camel could not pass through the smaller gate unless it was stooped and had its baggage removed. The story has been put forth since at least the 15th century and possibly as far back as the 9th century. However, there is no widely accepted evidence for the existence of such a gate.[7][8]"
The Quran says:
7:40 "Indeed, those who deny Our verses and are arrogant toward them - the gates of Heaven will not be opened for them, nor will they enter Paradise until a camel enters into the eye of a needle. And thus do We recompense the criminals."

7:41 "For them there is Hell, as a couch (below) and folds and folds of covering above: such is Our requital of those who do wrong."

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

That's one interpretation. I find a more convincing one to be that there was a confusion between the word for a camel and the Aramaic word for a rope, so the image was threading a needle with a thick rope. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Is it possible to thread a needle with a thick rope?

Once upon a time, years and years ago, I googled it.

We live in an age of information. These things aren't mysteries anymore. We know how Moses parted the sea, we know how Jesus fed the masses with fish, we know how the Great Pyramids were built, we know why Noah thought the flood covered the whole globe when in fact it did not. We know quite a lot.
Sounds like a lot of ignorance.

I haven't 'arrived' at any of them. I just stated the first one that came to mind to show that Jesus was not talking about a camel going through the eye of a sewing needle. Maybe he was talking about rope going through the eye of a sewing needle, or maybe he was talking about a camel going through a needle gate. The point he was making about the love of money and decidence is the same, so it doesn't matter.
But why are you so sure of it?

You can save your keystrokes because that line of convo reached its natural end.
Don't worry - I copy pasted.

Oh, you don't want to talk anymore?

First you go on stating this is what the verse means and when your statement is questioned you are unable to stand by it.

Don't worry - I copy pasted.

Oh, you don't want to talk anymore?

First you go on stating this is what the verse means and when your statement is questioned you are unable to stand by it.

The verse's meaning is a warning against loving money and decidence. You can select for yourself the 'interpretation' you prefer, they all mean 'it's hard to get into heaven'. So that's it. Convo has reached its natural conclusion.

The verse's meaning is a warning against loving money and decidence. You can select for yourself the 'interpretation' you prefer, they all mean 'it's hard to get into heaven'. So that's it. Convo has reached its natural conclusion.
How shallow!

It's not exactly natural when you insist like that. It's usually called natural when it happens smoothly without trying.

Needless to say, I believe everything is the Bible to be true but I am curious as to what parts of the Bible you believe to be true?

A tribe of Hebrews left slavery in Egypt. Moses wrote down the first five books, but he may have had help. Jesus existed and many of the quotes directly attributed to him were part of his teachings.

Is it possible to thread a needle with a thick rope?

Depends on the size of the needle. But it's a metaphor, right? Does it matter if it is possible? Anyway, I just thought some might find the interpretation interesting. I have no dog in that hunt.

Depends on the size of the needle. But it's a metaphor, right? Does it matter if it is possible? Anyway, I just thought some might find the interpretation interesting. I have no dog in that hunt.

Well the whole discussion seemed to start from someone saying it is impossible and another saying it is difficult but possible.

A tribe of Hebrews left slavery in Egypt. Moses wrote down the first five books, but he may have had help. Jesus existed and many of the quotes directly attributed to him were part of his teachings.
Well, Moses probably didn't write the five books they have now.

Actually the Jews themselves cannot validate Moses, or Abraham.

They were 1000 years before they were written down.

and Adam and Eve is pretty much as phony as they can get.

There is, however a very interesting video I would like you to watch when you get a chance.

moses in saudi arabia youtube - Bing video

Believer or not, this is the most fascinating religious video I have ever seen.

Now as I look there are many others on the same subject.

This one is great for honest discussion.

You might even want to make a thread on it.

Last edited:
Actually the Jews themselves cannot validate Moses, or Abraham.

They were 1000 years before they were written down.

and Adam and Eve is pretty much as phony as they can get.

There is, however a very interesting video I would like you to watch when you get a chance.

moses in saudi arabia youtube - Bing video

Believer or not, this is the most fascinating religious video I have ever seen.

Now as I look there are many others on the same subject.

This one is great for honest discussion.

You might even want to make a thread on it.
That's a video published by Christians on 2012, that has under 300,000 views since then. I think I'll save time and skip it. But thank you.

That's a video published by Christians on 2012, that has under 300,000 views since then. I think I'll save time and skip it. But thank you.

That is pretty prejudiced of you.

First of all, I am not a Christian.
I don't believe for one Minute, there was any god involved in the actual place.
what I do believe, is that this is where the Moses story came from.

You need to open your eyes a little, you can learn something from everyone.
To reject something, just because you don't like where it came from.
really decreases the capacity of your personal hard drive, between your ears.

another thing I noticed is that a lot of others filmed the same thing since then.
Maybe you can find one that fits your narrow perspective.

Needless to say, I believe everything is the Bible to be true but I am curious as to what parts of the Bible you believe to be true?

True in the sense of being a decent human being:

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Do not kill.

Do not steal.

we are all god's children.

Feed the hungry.

Shelter the weak.

AS an historical document: hardly anything except some place names, a couple dozen historical people and a handful of actual events.

If the question is that hard for you, just sit this one out.

It is apparent that the question is too hard for anyone participating in this thread, the OP in particular.

There are a few interpretations that could be correct, none of which regard sewing needles, from 'Christ was using hyperbole to make a point' to 'Jesus was talking about a Needle Gate'. Either way, the point Jesus was trying to make is the same.

eye of the needle in the bible - Google Search

If we are depending on interpretations, there is also a very good chance that none of them are correct.

Unknown, but given my studies of human behavior, it's possible. Note the different interpretations of the same ancient documents by the 2000(?) denominations of Christianity.

Sent from Mount Doom using the One Ring

If we are depending on interpretations, there is also a very good chance that none of them are correct.
As long as you get the point he was making, it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom