• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you believe in the Bible to be true, if anything?

Biblical evidence lie in the eye of the beholder ..it seems. No evidence of the events described in the Book of Genesis has ever been found. No city walls have been found at Jericho, from the appropriate era, that could have been toppled by Joshua or otherwise. The stone palace uncovered at the foot of Temple Mount in Jerusalem could attest that King David had been there or it might belong to another era entirely, depending who you ask.

Armed with cutting-edge dating and molecular technologies, archaeologists increasingly agree that generally, the Bible does not reflect historical truths.

Mumbo jumbo and Santa Claus for adults.

What makes anything written in any book true? What is meant by true?

The Quran is from the same God as the Torah is.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Actually the Qur'an is plagiarized from Jewish, Christian. Zoroastrianism , and Greek medical
there are many verses, taken from the previous text.
The same prophets exist, but a whole different story from them.
All are turned into Muslims before Muslims existed.

Last edited:
"Harder than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle" means that its impossible.

A 'needle' is a fortified entrance to a walled city. The 'eye' is the actual passage. Camels have a difficult time because the passage is very low and the camel has to crawl on its knees. You say it's impossible because you think they're talking about a sewing needle.

Needless to say, I believe everything is the Bible to be true but I am curious as to what parts of the Bible you believe to be true?

I like the book of Proverbs.

What makes anything written in any book true? What is meant by true?

If the question is that hard for you, just sit this one out.

All are turned into Muslims before Muslims existed.
With all the studying you've done, you must know this: 'Muslim' means a follower of Islam, 'islam' means submission to Allah. All babies are born as Muslims.

A 'needle' is a fortified entrance to a walled city. The 'eye' is the actual passage. Camels have a difficult time because the passage is very low and the camel has to crawl on its knees. You say it's impossible because you think they're talking about a sewing needle.
Any evidence for your interpretation to be the correct one?

That's one interpretation. I find a more convincing one to be that there was a confusion between the word for a camel and the Aramaic word for a rope, so the image was threading a needle with a thick rope. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Any evidence for your interpretation to be the correct one?
There are a few interpretations that could be correct, none of which regard sewing needles, from 'Christ was using hyperbole to make a point' to 'Jesus was talking about a Needle Gate'. Either way, the point Jesus was trying to make is the same.

eye of the needle in the bible - Google Search

That's one interpretation. I find a more convincing one to be that there was a confusion between the word for a camel and the Aramaic word for a rope, so the image was threading a needle with a thick rope. Makes a lot more sense to me.
Then run with that one. It's the same point either way.

Needless to say, I believe everything is the Bible to be true but I am curious as to what parts of the Bible you believe to be true?
"Believe to be true".

What does that mean, exactly?

Is there a difference between believing something is true and knowing something is true?

To me, the word "believe" implies faith. In that context, I believe nothing in the Bible.

On the other hand, I know that many events described in the various books of the Bible are corroborated, or at least supported by physical evidence or contemporaneous sources.

The title on the cover. Veracity goes downhill rapidly after that.

This is interesting. How do you come about this interpretation?

This is interesting. How do you come about this interpretation?

Once upon a time, years and years ago, I googled it.

We live in an age of information. These things aren't mysteries anymore. We know how Moses parted the sea, we know how Jesus fed the masses with fish, we know how the Great Pyramids were built, we know why Noah thought the flood covered the whole globe when in fact it did not. We know quite a lot.

Once upon a time, years and years ago, I googled it.

We live in an age of information. These things aren't mysteries anymore.

Quite Christian of you to make a condescending comment to someone who asks for knowledge.

Regardless, good point. I just googled this,
"
This is not true, it is just a widespread Fable that has been around so long that people are starting to believe it. There is no historical backing the statement and to this day a camel still cannot call on his knees. The whole idea of the eye of the needle being an entrance and exit to a wall Kingdom come from a Biblical scripture that says it's harder for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven is for Camel to fit through an eye of a needle.. so people Conjuring up this fable to say that an eye of the needle was a small gate and a wall Kingdom that was used commonly for camels to enter and exit. If that was the case then the Bible would not say that it was impossible for a rich man to get into heaven but With God all things are possible. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 107.77.228.109 (talk) 15:58, 26 December 2017 (UTC)

--Taramul July 7, 2005 17:58 (UTC)
"

Last edited:
Quite Christian of you to make a condescending comment.
I'm atheist but that wasn't condescension. I literally googled it one day.

I believe that the names of the guys who wrote the books of the Bible are mostly correct.

With the bible, one could come up with a thousand conflicting sources on any topic. The purpose of my question was to gather how you arrived at your comment. Clearly, my first search contradicted yours.

I haven't 'arrived' at any of them. I just stated the first one that came to mind to show that Jesus was not talking about a camel going through the eye of a sewing needle. Maybe he was talking about rope going through the eye of a sewing needle, or maybe he was talking about a camel going through a needle gate. The point he was making about the love of money and decidence is the same, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I haven't 'arrived' at any of them. I just stated the first one that came to mind to show that Jesus was not talking about a camel going through the eye of a sewing needle. Maybe he was talking about rope going through the eye of a sewing needle, or maybe he was talking about a camel going through a needle gate. The point he was making about the love of money and decidence is the same, so it doesn't matter.

Now your point is clear to me, thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom