• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do we really know?

In order to answer your question, we would have to know what we do not know, this before we can give or suggest a ratio.

Schulz%20I%20know%20nothing.jpg

I don't know chit, so I don't know what that makes my personal ratio.;)

Do not try to confuse me. I know a lot of something about nothing, ok:2razz:

More.... :roll:

In order to answer your question, we would have to know what we do not know, this before we can give or suggest a ratio.

It's easer to know what we do know than to speculate on what we don't know, because future knows are based on extensions of what we know now, and new don't know discoveries will always be around the next corner.

ricksfolly

Realizing how much we don't know is the first step to understanding a subject. It's like, our brain finally takes an overview of the subject and we can see the size of our personal perspective and knowledge. Such events, in subjects we hold dear, can lead to lifelong learning.

Last edited:
Realizing how much we don't know is the first step to understanding a subject. It's like, our brain finally takes an overview of the subject and we can see the size of our personal perspective and knowledge. Such events, in subjects we hold dear, can lead to lifelong learning.

True, but in my case it's the effect of my memory, not brain, not understanding, and the overview is the accumulation of the number of times I experienced similar events, based on the weight of how many times it worked or didn't work.

Just for laughs, name one process the brain does and I'll counter it with memory and behavior conditioning.

ricksfolly

If you're reading this post, you are now blinking and breathing manually. You are also aware that your jaw has weight and must manually keep it closed.

Withdrawing your hand from a hot stove due to pain!

Yes, and as you grow older, and have more memory, you'll get to the point where subtle threats of what might happen can make you do things you aren't even aware of.

ricksfolly

If you're reading this post, you are now blinking and breathing manually. You are also aware that your jaw has weight and must manually keep it closed.

Other stimuli going on around can cause you to react, or not react, depending on how important it is to you.

Here's part of a thesis I wrote about the effects of memory...

MY MEMORY, DRAWN AND QUARTERED

I've been trying to figure out how my memory works for more years than I'd like to count and finally came up with comprehensive answers that everyone should be able to relate with. This is all new. You won't find it in any book or scientific papers.

Feel free to debate, debunk, or draw and quarter me.

It breaks down into 5 different categories, Snapshots, Associative, Proactive, Reactive, and Emergency.

Snapshot Memories: Things you see, hear, taste, touch, or smell for a moment that click in your memory, has no particular meaning , and quickly disappears. Here is a representative list.

Sight: headline, sign, store, house, tree, flower, cafe, etc
Sound: horn, car, bus, train, mower, plane, laugh, etc.
Taste: coffee, water, coke, cocoa, beer, root beer, etc.
Touch: spoon, fork, knife, toothbrush, cup, glass, etc
Smell: coffee, parfume, body odor, flower, soap, etc

Associative Memory: Same as snapshot memories except that these have relevance, remind you of incidences or events from the past, but not enough stimulation to do anything about them.

Proactive Memory: Same as associative memory except that they stimulate anticipation of things to come... problems, needs, changes, plans to do things later on, and possible consequences if you do, etc..

Reactive Memory: Same as proactive memory except that they activate response... go to, reach for, say something, write a letter, walk, eat, drink, etc.

Emergency Memory ; Same as reactive memory except that they activate immediate reaction... Run, duck, jump, avoid, brake, defend, etc.

ricksfolly

Back
Top Bottom