• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do the left and right agree on now?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It's really hard to find anything. I think we might unite if there were an alien attack on the planet, but I'm not sure.

Some things that I'd have thought we agreed on, but we don't, include:

- A reasonable amount of egalitarianism, i.e., "The American Dream", "A rising tide lifts all boats". Republicans seem to have no bottom to how they're happy for many Americans to do, much less the rest of the world.

- Opposing pandemics. I'd have bet money on this one before Coronavirus, and I was wrong. They have indulged in denial, a lack of response, actively opposing public safety measures, fighting FOR the virus against the American people, with apparently no sense of shame for their actions.

- Democracy. They not only support centuries of anti-Democratic measures such as the Electoral system and Gerrymandering and voter suppression, but they now are supporting the direct overthrow of democracy with the 2020 election.

- Public higher education. IN any number of ways, they try to curtail higher education.

- Opposing corruption. From fighting laws against bribery to supporting unlimited 'dark money' and other corruption of our political system.

- Universal healthcare for the American people. They directly support many tens of millions of people being without healthcare coverage.

- The use of nuclear weapons. While I haven't seen support for killing the human race with nuclear weapons, they do support 'limited' nuclear weapon use, i.e., our using them to kill others.

- The constitution.. I have never yet seen the right say they want something, but will refrain from doing it because the constitution limits them. Instead, they have a top priority of creating a radical army of lawyers with the Federalist Society and taking over the courts to re-write the constitution from the Supreme Court, which they now have 6 votes to do.

- Freedom. It's a word they use for propaganda, but only by assaulting it with re-definition, e.g. 'the freedom to not wear a mask in a pandemic' or 'the freedom to deny others rights'. When it comes to actual freedom, they care nothing, for example, their donors want them to pass "Ag-Gag" laws against the truth about food production being told to the people, and they happily pass them.

- Opposition to tyrants. We just watched them have no problem with a president being completely subservient to Putin, even when Putin was caught paying for bounties to kill American soldiers, and saying he had fallen in love with Kim Jong-Un, as well as bragging that he had saved the dictator in Saudi Arabia from accountability for murdering a US resident.

- Quality journalism.

That Joe Biden fell 3 times going up the stair to AF 1. I'm sure the left denies this though.

It's really hard to find anything. I think we might unite if there were an alien attack on the planet, but I'm not sure.

- A reasonable amount of egalitarianism, i.e., "The American Dream", "A rising tide lifts all boats". Republicans seem to have no bottom to how they're happy for many Americans to do, much less the rest of the world.

- Opposing pandemics. I'd have bet money on this one before Coronavirus, and I was wrong. They have indulged in denial, a lack of response, actively opposing public safety measures, fighting FOR the virus against the American people, with apparently no sense of shame for their actions.

- Democracy. They not only support centuries of anti-Democratic measures such as the Electoral system and Gerrymandering and voter suppression, but they now are supporting the direct overthrow of democracy with the 2020 election.

- Public higher education. IN any number of ways, they try to curtail higher education.

- Opposing corruption. From fighting laws against bribery to supporting unlimited 'dark money' and other corruption of our political system.

- Universal healthcare for the American people. They directly support many tens of millions of people being without healthcare coverage.

- The use of nuclear weapons. While I haven't seen support for killing the human race with nuclear weapons, they do support 'limited' nuclear weapon use, i.e., our using them to kill others.

- The constitution.. I have never yet seen the right say they want something, but will refrain from doing it because the constitution limits them. Instead, they have a top priority of creating a radical army of lawyers with the Federalist Society and taking over the courts to re-write the constitution from the Supreme Court, which they now have 6 votes to do.

- Freedom. It's a word they use for propaganda, but only by assaulting it with re-definition, e.g. 'the freedom to not wear a mask in a pandemic' or 'the freedom to deny others rights'. When it comes to actual freedom, they care nothing, for example, their donors want them to pass "Ag-Gag" laws against the truth about food production being told to the people, and they happily pass them.

- Opposition to tyrants. We just watched them have no problem with a president being completely subservient to Putin, even when Putin was caught paying for bounties to kill American soldiers, and saying he had fallen in love with Kim Jong-Un, as well as bragging that he had saved the dictator in Saudi Arabia from accountability for murdering a US resident.

- Quality journalism.
Ideally, both sides of the aisle SHOULD agree that it's a good idea to take the money out of politics - because it very much hurts both sides! Overturn the results of the Citizens United suit, make all campaign contributions illegal, and publicly fund all national elections. No "dark money" fund raisers, and no outside money for any national election - i.e. no Representatives, no Senators, and no POTUS and VP elections can be influenced, dependent, beholden, or swayed by money. The result would be that none of their votes would serve anyone's special interests, and all of their votes would be designed to serve the best interests and needs of the American people.

Why would anyone on either side of the aisle, or anywhere in between, not agree that the money has to be taken out of our politics? It poisons everything that comes out of Washington DC, and it consumes unimaginable time of our elected representatives.

Ideally, both sides of the aisle SHOULD agree that it's a good idea to take the money out of politics - because it very much hurts both sides! Overturn the results of the Citizens United suit, make all campaign contributions illegal, and publicly fund all national elections. No "dark money" fund raisers, and no outside money for any national election - i.e. no Representatives, no Senators, and no POTUS and VP elections can be influenced, dependent, beholden, or swayed by money. The result would be that none of their votes would serve anyone's special interests, and all of their votes would be designed to serve the best interests and needs of the American people.

Why would anyone on either side of the aisle, or anywhere in between, not agree that the money has to be taken out of our politics? It poisons everything that comes out of Washington DC, and it consumes unimaginable time of our elected representatives.

Hmm... would we hold (privately funded?) elections to decide which candidates (deserve to?) get public funding and how much?

In other words, if 2K candidates apply for public funding how much would each candidate be given?

- Quality journalism.
After seeing the Right act just like the KKK of the early 20th century re: BLM and adopt fascism faster than a German in 1936, I have no faith in them at all. I suspect they would align with the space aliens as long as the little green men went after Mexicans first.

That Joe Biden fell 3 times going up the stair to AF 1. I'm sure the left denies this though.
We do not care about petty things like that. Biden has done more for Americans than the one term mistake did in 4 years. A weak foot from an injury does not slow him down either.

Hmm... would we hold (privately funded?) elections to decide which candidates (deserve to?) get public funding and how much?

In other words, if 2K candidates apply for public funding how much would each candidate be given?
Polling numbers are how public funds are given out. The top 3 get the money.

lol..is that all Fox talks about nowadays? There is a lot going on in the world today--just to give you a heads a up.

Polling numbers are how public funds are given out. The top 3 get the money.

That is ridiculous - since polling numbers (private election results?) get boosted by media exposure (name recognition) which is 100% a campaign contribution. Obviously, any incumbent is going to poll far higher than some (currently) unknown (would be) challenger.

How do you suppose the top 3 (out of 10 or more?) potential candidates would get noticed (receive media attention) - assuming that none of them are allowed to spend anything to get increased “name recognition”? It would turn elections into contests between incumbents and “celebrities” (those who already had name recognition).

lol..is that all Fox talks about nowadays? There is a lot going on in the world today--just to give you a heads a up.
They only care about the stupidest things. They have low IQ's I guess. They certainly won't talk about the sanctions Biden put on the Chinese for their treatment of the Uyghur's. They agree with the one term mistake who told the Chinese that concentration camps were the right idea.

Last edited:
That is ridiculous - since polling numbers (private election results?) get boosted by media exposure (name recognition) which is 100% a campaign contribution. Obviously, any incumbent is going to poll far higher than some (currently) unknown (would be) challenger.

How do you suppose the top 3 (out of 10 or more?) potential candidates would get noticed (receive media attention) - assuming that none of them are allowed to spend anything to get increased “name recognition”? It would turn elections into contests between incumbents and “celebrities” (those who already had name recognition).
Now it is a contest of who can raise the most money by making the most promises to wealthy donors. You like that better?

Now it is a contest of who can raise the most money by making the most promises to wealthy donors. You like that better?
I had a long conversation with Joe Biden back in 2004, and had intended to write an OP about it for general discussion, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Among the issues we discussed was the time that every nationally elected representative spends fund raising, instead of doing the business of the electorate. It's obscene, and it's the reason why the interests of the few are over-served, and the interests of the many are under served.

At least that gives someone a chance to oust an incumbent. The idea that the average Joe or Mary could get enough public funding to do so is highly unlikely. As the old saying goes - it takes money (or at least name recognition) to make money.

They both agree to spend more than they dare ask for in taxation.

They both agree on the majority of military campaigns...

Opposing pandemics. I'd have bet money on this one before Coronavirus, and I was wrong. They have indulged in denial, a lack of response, actively opposing public safety measures, fighting FOR the virus against the American people, with apparently no sense of shame for their actions.

Because your narrative changes on a dime when it correspond to not testing illegal immigrants when they enter the country illegally from another thread. You don't really care about covid-19, only if it goes to destroy Trump. But perfectly fine not testing for covid on illegal immigrants as long as they can enter illegally.

Can I dump you into the middle of a gang turf that wants to kill you and say sorry, I know you'd like to be allowed to leave to save your life, but not until you find a covid test? Your lack of any humanity is shown by how your 'solution' is simply to close the door, rather than try to find safety measures.

Maybe some immigration reform?

Some republican senators have put forward an increase in the minimum wage. It's not $15 an hour but it's more than the current minimum wage.

At least that gives someone a chance to oust an incumbent. The idea that the average Joe or Mary could get enough public funding to do so is highly unlikely. As the old saying goes - it takes money (or at least name recognition) to make money.
Have you ever heard of campaigning? You know where a candidate gives speeches to tell the people what he stands for? Money should not equal competence.

Have you ever heard of campaigning? You know where a candidate gives speeches to tell the people what he stands for? Money should not equal competence.

Are you kidding me? That is exactly what campaign cash is used for.

Are you kidding me? That is exactly what campaign cash is used for.
No it is mostly used for slick negative TV ads that denigrate opponents. It doesn't cost much for a podium in the village square.

No it is mostly used for slick negative TV ads that denigrate opponents. It doesn't cost much for a podium in the village square.

Perhaps that is because mass media ads reach more people. Your idea that one must run a campaign (on their credit card?) in order to gain enough popularity to get taxpayer funding is ridiculous. Campaigning is a full-time job which requires a staff, travel expenses and mass media advertising. BTW, where is the “village square” in Texas? Limiting a candidate’s (personal campaign) spending would only make PACs more powerful - the opposite of your intended goal.

Last edited:
Because your narrative changes on a dime when it correspond to not testing illegal immigrants when they enter the country illegally from another thread. You don't really care about covid-19, only if it goes to destroy Trump. But perfectly fine not testing for covid on illegal immigrants as long as they can enter illegally.

Complete BS. If a covid test prevents saving someone's life, save their life. Do all we can for covid safety, if tests can be done, do them. If quarantine is advised and we can do it, do it. You repeatedly post offensive lies. Nothing in my 'narrative' changed.

The reason why Republicans support the corruption is that they are completely owned by it, it's how they have power. It's like asking people in the mafia if they support the mafia. National Republican politicians are owned by that money, and know they can't get elected without it largely.

Quite a bit of policy, when not in partisan wrappers.

First, the WH blamed it on the wind. Looks like the official story is that the steps are "tricky." Un****ingbelievable

Back
Top Bottom