• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do retired men do for interests, activities, make friends?

JumpinJack

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have a retired, divorced brother who doesn't have any interests outside of his grandson and visiting family members, even extended ones. And eating out (he eats out for every meal....and talks to strangers for social interaction).

I and others in the family have told him that he needs to find some things that interest him, and make some adult friends (outside of kids in the family and adult family member). He says he has no interests.

What do men do to bring some passion and contentedness to their lives, and meet other men to hang with? He doesn't drink, so bars are out (and I don't think that would be a good idea, anyway).

I have a retired, divorced brother who doesn't have any interests outside of his grandson and visiting family members, even extended ones. And eating out (he eats out for every meal....and talks to strangers for social interaction).

I and others in the family have told him that he needs to find some things that interest him, and make some adult friends (outside of kids in the family and adult family member). He says he has no interests.

What do men do to bring some passion and contentedness to their lives, and meet other men to hang with? He doesn't drink, so bars are out (and I don't think that would be a good idea, anyway).

http://www.ourtime.com/

I am way too many miles away from retirement, but a hobby is a must. Around where I live many are former soldiers, and they hang around the vfw drinking beer and whipping out their war stories to see whos is bigger. Others buy old automobiles and restore them, or practice carpentry, or even work menial jobs like walmart greeter so they can always meet people.

Myself My newest hobby is welding because I can make cool stuff, but also fixing cars, restoring old computers, fishing etc. For him it does not matter what the hobby is, it is almost guaranteed there is both an online and offline comunity who has the same interests, and these people tend to hang out.

Thanks. But I was wanting things that men do to meet other men to hang with. He needs friends and activities. In his current state, he would be too intense with a woman. He would focus totally on her and drown her.

lol... twas just teasing anyhow. I'd like to see what you get him doing. I'm curious myself. You always hear about folks retire then go get a job because they don't know what to do with themselves.

I am way too many miles away from retirement, but a hobby is a must. Around where I live many are former soldiers, and they hang around the vfw drinking beer and whipping out their war stories to see whos is bigger. Others buy old automobiles and restore them, or practice carpentry, or even work menial jobs like walmart greeter so they can always meet people.

Myself My newest hobby is welding because I can make cool stuff, but also fixing cars, restoring old computers, fishing etc. For him it does not matter what the hobby is, it is almost guaranteed there is both an online and offline comunity who has the same interests, and these people tend to hang out.

Some great ideas. Thanks.

lol... twas just teasing anyhow. I'd like to see what you get him doing. I'm curious myself. You always hear about folks retire then go get a job because they don't know what to do with themselves.

I hope he finds something to do. How can someone have no interests? He spends hours at family members' houses because he has nothing to do or anywhere to go.

I suggested bowling, joining a gym, but he wasn't interested. He's not the golfing type. He doesn't drink or gamble (to his credit). I just don't know what men DO to interact w/other men. We women have all sorts of things we do to meet other women, to the extent there are women in the area. Book clubs, gardening, gardening clubs, walking, bowling, pet groups, pet rescue, sewing, quilting, cooking, etc., etc. All chances to do something you like and interact with other women with like interests.

Poker
Fishing
Social organizations
Church
Hobby clubs

Anything that gets him out of the house is good.

I agree everyone needs hobbies but are you sure he needs new friends? He may just be an introvert. And there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just plain enjoy themselves more alone. Now, i know nothing about him and if he actually feels lonely that is a whole other matter. Just keep in mind there are different personality types.

As for hobbies, I personally enjoy reading, playing the ukulele (poorly), SCUBA diving, sky diving, going to the gun range, solving cryptograms, flying small quad copters (drones), hiking, and photography. None of those things are too social but then I am an introvert. :)

Tell him to post here. That should preoccupy his time.

I hope he finds something to do. How can someone have no interests? He spends hours at family members' houses because he has nothing to do or anywhere to go.

To me it just sounds like he's not adjusting to retirement very well. Like he needs some time and some gentle nudging. Not anything too drastic.

---Well I can only speak for myself, DO NOT RETIRE.
Retirement is a death sentence for most men. You do not have to stay with your previous career but you have to do something.
I don't care if it's hand crafting guitars, becoming a volunteer at a hospital, running a mail order/online business or sex tourism in Costa Rica.
You have to do something that makes you feel good, useful and accomplished.
Retirement leads to gumming the Early Bird Special at 3:30PM and then wandering home in time to catch Jeopardy, then to bed by 8PM and dying of a stroke....or worse yet, not dying of it.

I go to the gym at least three times a week, but I did that before I retired as well.:2wave:

Is he unhappy and bored?

nothing you have posted tells me that your brother's retired lifestyle is not satisfying for him
now, it is obvious that what he does is not what you would want him to do
but maybe eating out regularly and socializing with family is what he wanted to do in retirement
as his sister, you may sense that his current state is not fulfilling. if that is the situation, then find out from him what makes him happy. and help him find ways to do that - whatever it may be

My husband is taking classes at a local college.

And other than that, he's home. He doesn't have hobbies beyond tinkering with his Corvette. He spends most of his time watching TV and attending sporting events and practices (kids play).

I agree everyone needs hobbies but are you sure he needs new friends? He may just be an introvert. And there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just plain enjoy themselves more alone. Now, i know nothing about him and if he actually feels lonely that is a whole other matter. Just keep in mind there are different personality types.

He's no introvert since he actively seeks social interaction even at strangers. From the OP, it's clear he's driving his family crazy and they're trying to broaden his social circle so as to be relieved of him a little.

I can tell you right now, it is a hard uphill battle.

Most men at or near retirement age are not very sociable and prefer to stay at home, and only get on-line for social situations.

The reason for this is that we have become a nation of lone wolves and seem to have lost our social skills.

In Arizona I tried to start a MEETUP group that only had one meeting, then everyone lost interest.

Even in the survivalist / prepper arena everyone prefers to be a lone wolf and not socialize at all.

I am making an attempt at a local Amateur Radio club, but am finding most of them also prefer to be lone wolves.

I think no one gives a rat's ass about being in any kind of social group anymore. I have no idea why.

Even the local churches do not do visitations anymore.

Thanks. But I was wanting things that men do to meet other men to hang with. He needs friends and activities. In his current state, he would be too intense with a woman. He would focus totally on her and drown her.
In Texas, the 2coolfishing site is very active, quite a bit more than fishing.
2CoolFishing - Powered by vBulletin
I been to a few of the meet and greets, they seem to be a very good group of people.

I suggested bowling, joining a gym, but he wasn't interested. He's not the golfing type. He doesn't drink or gamble (to his credit). I just don't know what men DO to interact w/other men. We women have all sorts of things we do to meet other women, to the extent there are women in the area. Book clubs, gardening, gardening clubs, walking, bowling, pet groups, pet rescue, sewing, quilting, cooking, etc., etc. All chances to do something you like and interact with other women with like interests.

I don't know how one can have no interests either. I never have a problem with boredom.

I don't know how one can have no interests either. I never have a problem with boredom.

what tells us her brother does?

Back
Top Bottom