• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do I "win"?

What is the concept of "winning" when posting on a debate forum such as DP? Constantly I see posters throwing the concept of "winning" which is alien to me. Where is my prize? This obtuse concept should be ridiculed and rejected. We post on forums to exchange ideas, opinions and thoughts. There is no "big penis" prize or a teddy bear at the end of a debate or discussion on the internet. Either we learn and are better for it - or it's a waste of time and energy.

If anyone thinks, they are changing the world by posting on a website - (thanks Dr. Patrick for the idea via one of your posts) they should have their head examined for tumors. Changing the world is rarely if ever, done behind a keyboard. It's done by shutting off the computer and interacting with people, places and things that matter. Want to change the world or your community - go out and DO something! Stop the insanity.

Don't really think its possible to "Win" the vast majority of times on a message board. Especially on a political one. So much of politics is about perception and even things that are "facts" can mean two different things to two different people. That doesn't even take into account that you can find "facts" often that say both things. Want "facts" that gay parents are okay? Sure we got them. "Facts" that they're bad, people have those too. Low taxes increase government revenue? Decrease government revenue? Got facts for both. Regulation is good? There's examples. Regulation is bad? There's examples. Some may think certain facts or evidence are "worse" or "questionable" but even that is often times in the eye of the beholder. Ultimately most arguments can't be "won", not in a traditional sense.

I say majority of the time because there is one way to win, and its rare. And that's when you actually convince someone from the other side or that's on the wall to come over and agree with your side on a particular issue in a complete way. I've seen it happen a few times, primarily with well reasoned debate with reputable sources, a polite and persuasive argument, and an appeal to some form of rationality that the other individual actually cares about. However as I said, this is the exception not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom