• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you purchase for your 5-8 year old grand daughter?

Tom Horn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Mine got a bow.
Been shooting one that someone at the renosance festival thought looked like a Harry Potter one.
Shoulda went with the Agincourt model.

Mine got a bow.
Been shooting one that someone at the renosance festival thought looked like a Harry Potter one.

Should have gone with a cricket, my store sold a ton this year

criksa2220bsc.jpg

criksa2220bsc.jpg
When she kills something, I want it to be close and personal. So she has to be apriciative of nature. We are shooting at present at 44 feet with the Harry Potter bow.

Mine got a bow.
Mine aren't that old yet. Although I think I will make sure to get some newer bows and teach them all both bow and rifle as they grow up. Not necessarily hunting. They can make that transition easily enough on their own.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Mine aren't that old yet. Although I think I will make sure to get some newer bows and teach them all both bow and rifle as they grow up. Not necessarily hunting. They can make that transition easily enough on their own.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
if I ever buy her a rifle, she will need to pony up half, then it would be a lever action 454 casul. ( im one of those one ammo fits all freaks )

criksa2220bsc.jpg

All my grandsons either got rifles in their 10th birthday or will get rifles on their 10th birthday when the day comes.

My five year old niece got an art box. Crayons and markers and paper and whatnot. She's thrilled. Three year old nephew got a cookie monster. Already sleeps with it. I did good.

Who the **** gives kids that age weapons

My five year old niece got an art box. Crayons and markers and paper and whatnot. She's thrilled. Three year old nephew got a cookie monster. Already sleeps with it. I did good.

my son got a jack knife on his second birthday.

my son got a jack knife on his second birthday.

At two, my nephew's favorite thing to do was put a garbage can over his head and try to run somewhere. His exact destination remains a mystery.

Sharp objects seem like a bad plan.

At two, my nephew's favorite thing to do was put a garbage can over his head and try to run somewhere. His exact destination remains a mystery.

Sharp objects seem like a bad plan.
you think I have her target shoot with broad heads on her arrows? You jest. It’s a time I can high five her for pulling back and let fly. Her missed shots go 75 feet. She ever hits a groundhog she will jump for joy. She ever starts hitting target instead of being on target we will be increasing range. I can’t hardly wait till we bring back supper.

I have a what now?

****! Hell of a way to find out.

i got a BB gun when i was nine, with plenty of supervision. might get one for my kid when he's nine, but no shooting birds. another great idea for kids : audiobooks.

Mine got a bow.

Texas has lots of good archery programs if she has any interest in learning to compete. PM Me where she lives and I probably can recommend a coach

Texas has lots of good archery programs if she has any interest in learning to compete. PM Me where she lives and I probably can recommend a coach

Dude. I’m her coach. I have aspirations of her hitting a 3’x3’ target at 300 feet some day.

Dude. I’m her coach. I have aspirations of her hitting a 3’x3’ target at 300 feet some day.

cool--before my elbow went-I was shooting 30K arrows a year-during the summer-mostly at 90M

Off-topic:
I don't yet have a 5-8 year-old grandchild, and I'm in no hurry to have one. LOL. I feel old enough already from just listening to my kids converse among their peers. LOL

Archery was part of gym class in school. NY sure has changed since then!

Mine got a bow.

Red and off-topic:
I don't know a damn thing about bows and arrows, but I know the time period for Agincourt, and that implies English longbows, which range in length from six to sex feet. Is the "Agincourt model" a longbow?

I ask because the length of an English longbow is such that, assuming a 5-8 year old child is shorter than 60", the only way your granddaughter might be able to shoot the thing is using a steep/high-angle trajectory. Is your granddaughter interested in being a member of a battery of archers firing fusillades?

65a046358c86059e1231b939526ae42e.jpg
0ac68195070c23cd79f5cafdb4ba1e61--cross-bows-longbow.jpg

Trying to shoot the thing level would, I'd think, seem to be all but undoable as the bottom of the bow would be on the ground were such a short person to wield it.

Last edited:
Red and off-topic:
I don't know a damn thing about bows and arrows, but I know the time period for Agincourt, and that implies English longbows, which range in length from six to sex feet. Is the "Agincourt model" a longbow?

I ask because the length of an English longbow is such that, assuming a 5-8 year old child is shorter than 60", the only way your granddaughter might be able to shoot the thing is using a steep/high-angle trajectory.

Trying to shoot the thing level would, I'd think, seem to be all but undoable as the bottom of the bow would be on the ground were such a short person to wield it.
She’s 52”, so at 39” center pivoting at launch angle that’s 80”

Red and off-topic:

I ask because the length of an English longbow is such that, assuming a 5-8 year old child is shorter than 60", the only way your granddaughter might be able to shoot the thing is using a steep/high-angle trajectory. Is your granddaughter interested in being a member of a battery of archers firing fusillades?

She’s 52”, so at 39” center pivoting at launch angle that’s 80”

Red:
All well and good, but that has nothing to do with the question I asked:
  • Is the "Agincourt model" a longbow?

Red:
All well and good, but that has nothing to do with the question I asked:
  • Is the "Agincourt model" a longbow?
yes. She was bought a Harry Potter bow. Kinda like an upgrade to a cowboys and Indian 3yo set. I guess I should be happy because what I bought her the draw is too heavy for her now. She shot it about eight times and went back to her one that she couldn’t aim too well with. No porch. Im sure the real ones at the festival weren’t made out of yew, so no, she’s not ready to draw 125 pounds. The 45 I got her is something she can grow into.

yes. She was bought a Harry Potter bow. Kinda like an upgrade to a cowboys and Indian 3yo set. I guess I should be happy because what I bought her the draw is too heavy for her now. She shot it about eight times and went back to her one that she couldn’t aim too well with. No porch. Im sure the real ones at the festival weren’t made out of yew, so no, she’s not ready to draw 125 pounds. The 45 I got her is something she can grow into.

Red:
Thank you.

Archery was part of gym class in school. NY sure has changed since then!

true-a Democrat was trying to introduce a bill that would ban any shooting sport in NY schools including archery. Lots of schools have NASP programs and some have more advanced archery teams. Columbia University has a women's varsity team

Back
Top Bottom