• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

I made a bowl of onion soup because I had some week old sourdough that needed to be used, a partial box of beef stock that needed to be used and 2 Vidalia onions that needed to be used because they dont keep as long as Ppanish yellow onions.

I made a bowl of onion soup because I had some week old sourdough that needed to be used, a partial box of beef stock that needed to be used and 2 Vidalia onions that needed to be used because they dont keep as long as Ppanish yellow onions.
Gruyère on top?

Gruyère on top?

Gruyere and parmesan.

I didn't have any Cognac to deglaze the pan so I had to use Marsala. I did sweat the onions in a mix of butter and olive oil. I thought of use bacon lardons but that seemed to be gilding the lily.

Last edited:
More giant bacon cheeseburgers, medium to medium rare.

We get meat from a treat-animals-well meatshare ("well", other than the killing them part). A certain amount of grass fed ground beef goes into every delivery, and I'd let several pounds build up since I was too lazy to replace the propane tank for a while (I know, I know. I had reasons.)

Been roasting a lot of chickens using a pretty simple recipe. Love a simple roast chicken.

Tonight it'll be medium rare strip steaks from our "nice to animals" type meat share... grass fed. Looks pretty well marbled though.

Tomorrow will probably be medium rare filet mignon. Same source.

Sunday will be a giant authentic chinese food order with visiting family. (Guts, tendon, etc; stuff Americans tend to shy from)
any chance you would share a copy of your roast chicken recipe?
trying to get my wife to throw/glaze a chicken cooker; having a ready recipe might add just the incentive obviously needed to motivate her to make one for smoking on the kamado
besides, without a recipe, i won't know how to use it

Oh!

And for the last 5-6 nights I've had a mostly self-garden salad.
The tomatoes were terrible this year. Because of (good) things that changed my life quite a bit this June, I planted my plants but half or quarter-assed the care. 18 tomato plants became 6, thanks to squirrels digging the seeds out and a wood chuck - he's an asshole - eating the leaves off the others.

But, I've got plenty of herbs and salad greens going on rotation. So I'll get 1.5ish weeks of salad greens every 2-3 weeks. Garden tomatoes but not at prior rates. Green onions. Herbs.

It all tastes so much sharper and defined than supermarket stuff.
"sungold" and "supersweet" salad tomatoes have been wonderful in the piedmont. still thriving. the slicers, not so much
the wife loves to grow & eat them as well as winter lettuce (purple asian & kale, primarily) and year round herbs. this is what keeps the squirrels and rabbits at bay:
tarter water & feed trough.jpg

any chance you would share a copy of your roast chicken recipe?
trying to get my wife to throw/glaze a chicken cooker; having a ready recipe might add just the incentive obviously needed to motivate her to make one for smoking on the kamado
besides, without a recipe, i won't know how to use it

Here's what my wife does:

- 4lb chicken - rinse, dry well
- stick cast iron skillet into oven and set to 440-450
- rub chicken with a bit of olive oil. season well with kosher salt and black pepper
- in cavity put a few garlic pieces, some herbs tied with string (rosemary and thyme for sure, i add savory sometimes if its in the mix I buy) and a lemon cut in half
- truss the chicken (tie the legs together)
- when oven reaches temperature, take out cast iron, put 6 cloves of garlic in circle and plop down chicken
- cook for 1 hr, with thighs facing back of oven (adjust time if bigger chicken, but i usually try to get close to 4lb)

Here's what I do:

- 4lb-5.25lb chicken - rinse, dry well. 63 minutes at 445 for ~4 lb, ~75m for 5.25, same temp.

Preheat oven to 455 with the cast iron in it, then:

- brush olive oil onto chicken, bottom side up at firrst.
- Seasoning: MSG, truffle salt, pepper, a faint sprinkling of paprika and chili powder (not hot chilis - the dark 'chili powder' you can get in supermarkets, usually a mix)
- In cavity: several garlic pieces, garden spices if you have them (basil, rosemary, cilantro....but mostly rosemary sprigs), 1/4" of thin sliced onion on top, half a lemon on top.
-Turn it over. Brush the side that faces up (drumsticks facing up) with olive oil. Same spices.
- Trust the chicken.
- when oven reaches temperature, take out cast iron, put 6 more cloves of garlic at points between chicken and wall of pan, ie, front and back. If they aren't touching the bottom they don't really burn, but roast. Tasty.
- Put in so ends of drumsticks face back of oven.
- When taken out, pour the fat/stuff from pan into a container, then pour some over your portion. Make gravy if you want but I don't bother.

The garlic, you eat as you wish.

It's remarkably simple, and wonderful if you love the flavor of roast chicken.

Here's what my wife does:

- 4lb chicken - rinse, dry well
- stick cast iron skillet into oven and set to 440-450
- rub chicken with a bit of olive oil. season well with kosher salt and black pepper
- in cavity put a few garlic pieces, some herbs tied with string (rosemary and thyme for sure, i add savory sometimes if its in the mix I buy) and a lemon cut in half
- truss the chicken (tie the legs together)
- when oven reaches temperature, take out cast iron, put 6 cloves of garlic in circle and plop down chicken
- cook for 1 hr, with thighs facing back of oven (adjust time if bigger chicken, but i usually try to get close to 4lb)

Here's what I do:

- 4lb-5.25lb chicken - rinse, dry well. 63 minutes at 445 for ~4 lb, ~75m for 5.25, same temp.

Preheat oven to 455 with the cast iron in it, then:

- brush olive oil onto chicken, bottom side up at firrst.
- Seasoning: MSG, truffle salt, pepper, a faint sprinkling of paprika and chili powder (not hot chilis - the dark 'chili powder' you can get in supermarkets, usually a mix)
- In cavity: several garlic pieces, garden spices if you have them (basil, rosemary, cilantro....but mostly rosemary sprigs), 1/4" of thin sliced onion on top, half a lemon on top.
-Turn it over. Brush the side that faces up (drumsticks facing up) with olive oil. Same spices.
- Trust the chicken.
- when oven reaches temperature, take out cast iron, put 6 more cloves of garlic at points between chicken and wall of pan, ie, front and back. If they aren't touching the bottom they don't really burn, but roast. Tasty.
- Put in so ends of drumsticks face back of oven.
- When taken out, pour the fat/stuff from pan into a container, then pour some over your portion. Make gravy if you want but I don't bother.

The garlic, you eat as you wish.

It's remarkably simple, and wonderful if you love the flavor of roast chicken.
THANK YOU ... and Mrs. Person!
sounds great. both of them
will let you know how my attempt works

Spinach Dijon Salad with shredded Monterey Jack-Colby cheese, chow mein noodles, 1/2 boiled egg, sliced almonds, dried cranberries with a sweet onion dressing, and I tossed in some diced apple. Dessert was leftover apple slices topped with creamy peanut butter.

6 inch club with cheese and honey mustard
baked lays.

Left over lemon pepper wings from Wing Stop, no contact delivery. Bowl of corn flakes with oat milk (which tasted too sweet).

Norwegian salmon fillet sprinkles with Old Bay seasoning and oven grilled, with gold potatoes sauteed in olive oil until browned on the outside and tender on the inside. Breyer's strawberry ice cream for dessert.

It will be a gigantic sushi feast.

Ngiri:
- 6 Salmon
- 6 Yellowtail
- 4 Tuna
- 2 Eel
- 2 Striped bass
- 4 Scallop
- 2 Octopus
- 2 Salmon Roe
- 2 Flying Fish Roe

Maki:
- Salmon, avacado, cucumber (8x)
- Yellowtail, scallion (8x)
- Tuna, avocado (8x).

And I eat more than my wife. Don't you doubt for a second that we can clear this up. When I eat sushi, I feast.

Battered and deep fried green peppers with roast pork cubes and local Alhambra beer. Lemon flavored yogurt for afters. White chocolate with cookie bits and real coffee. Last of all a Gouden Oogst powdered Dutch cigar.

Best dessert ever :)
We love breakfast for dinner, esp omelets with fresh herbs and such, perhaps a light salad on the side.

My egg game is elite. My wife is at the point that she gets annoyed when I want to go out for breakfast.

Tossed salad and scrambled eggs is both an amazing dinner and a great theme song!

Left-over- Caprese salad and prosciutto sandwich on Italian bread that I bought today from Catania Bakery in DC after paying my respects to RBG. Their Cuccidati, that we had for dessert, is phenomenal.

six inch club on wheat
sun chips.

Back
Top Bottom