• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

I thought about doing "Corned Beef and Cabbage" tonight but the CB will go on sale in a few days......Aldi's is usually the best buy for this......flat cut not point...

So instead I made spaghetti and meatballs. I made a big batch of MBs a few months ago and put them in the freezer. I really screwed up the recipe and they have the texture of a rotted sponge....but we gotta get through them.

If anyone has a good recipe for Italian meatballs PM me.....I could use one....
..and if anyone has a taste for rotted sponge.....I have a deal for ya!!
I do my great-grandfather's recipe. Italian bread slice soaked in milk, a little salt/pepper, parsley and raisins to a pound of ground sirloin. Brown on all sides, baked or fried in olive oil drain on paper towel, add to your sauce and simmer till meat balls are cooked through and the sauce is a little sweeter and not bitter or overly acidic.

Grandbaby had a triple endoscopy today:cry: and we spent most of the day at the Children's Hospital. It turned out well. My husband and I went to Arby's . Roast beef, curly fries, diet Dr. Pepper.

Grandbaby had a triple endoscopy today:cry: and we spent most of the day at the Children's Hospital. It turned out well. My husband and I went to Arby's . Roast beef, curly fries, diet Dr. Pepper.
Lost me at Arby's curly fries...ack...puke...the rest is good.

I have been craving Arby's roast beef sandwiches but I haven't gone because i am worried that they will disappoint and not taste anything like they did a decade or more ago since I last had any.

I made chicken parmesan, and lots of dirty dishes to clean later.

I have no doubt you have a lot of dishes to do after making chicken parm. When I make it, there's a pile of dishes, pots and pans. It takes so many dishes and kitchen utensils to create this dish. The cleanup truly sucks.
I recently watched a video on how to make the clean up easier. Saved on the flour and crumbs as well. Put both, seasoned to your liking, in a shaker, dust whatever with flour, dredge it through the egg wash, sprinkle with breadcrumbs. You get a thinner and more even layer. I tried it with eggplant and it worked rather well.
I have a habit of cleaning dishes as I cook. I like it, because it prevents that overwhelming feeling of a large pileup in the sink.
That's why I do, but it all depends on what I'm making.

Oh, I am glad it worked out ok. Anxious times.

I have been craving Arby's roast beef sandwiches but I haven't gone because i am worried that they will disappoint and not taste anything like they did a decade or more ago since I last had any.
Hey, it's not real roast beef but it's damn good. Go for it. Gotta have the sauce. :love:

That's about how long it has been for us. Our down's syndrome friend loved that place and we took him every chance we had. He loved the curly fries, lol.

Thank you, @Lovebug. Another surgery averted and we are all relieved. Coming out of anesthesia was rough but grandpa used his magic and made it better.
Hugs. Don't we feel helpless when loved ones aren't well? Hi to grandpa.

I recently watched a video on how to make the clean up easier. Saved on the flour and crumbs as well. Put both, seasoned to your liking, in a shaker, dust whatever with flour, dredge it through the egg wash, sprinkle with breadcrumbs. You get a thinner and more even layer. I tried it with eggplant and it worked rather well.
I could see where your tip would work on some dishes but Lovebug, whether chicken parm or eggplant parm needs a good crust. It has to stand up to the sauce and cheese on top.

Since I was eating solo, I had another raid the freezer night. Lean Cuisine enchilada and the last piece of frozen cheese pizza (as far as I know.) Kiddo had a birthday party a while back, and I bagged up the leftover pizza and froze it for future use. It has warmed up pretty well.

So, I am trying something new today. I'm making Paila Marina! It's a traditional Chilean dish, which is a soup base with various sorts of fish and shellfish. It's sort of like a pick-and-choose sort of deal, so I just went for crab legs, clams, squid, mussles, and shrimp (I decided against crawfish).

I've got onions, and I'm using cilantro (it's supposed to be usually parsley, but I don't care).

This idea I got from Breaking Bad, as there's a character (Gus Fring), that every time he made dinner, only made Paila Marina. So I thought I might as well try!

And secondly, I am going to be making a Negroni Spaglioto for a drink, since it's St. Patty's Day. Probably will just make it after dinner or whatnot, usually that's how I enjoy alcohol.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! ☘ ☘ ☘

giphy.gif

Wishing the best for your grandbaby......hugs.

here is one from the mid 50's:

1&½ pounds ground beef [i will add pork sausage if i have it available to reach that 1.5 pound amount]
5-6 slices wet squeezed bread [use a splash of milk to wet the bread]
2 large eggs
4 cloves of chopped garlic from a bulb [back off the garlic a tad unless you love it]
½ large onion - or 1 medium onion - chopped fine
salt & pepper
[~ 1/8 cup of jelly or jam ... usually grape, but have used other flavors with success]
cover meat mixture with grated parmesan cheese
mix well
roll meat mixture into balls of desired size [for me, that is small, for hors d'oeuvres ... the key is to make them the same size so they cook evenly]
cook in large pan in 400 degree oven until browned [~18 minutes]

place meatballs in sauce to soften [i typically use paul newman's sockarooni, but whatever marinara based sauce you like should be fine]

after bringing these for an office pot luck get-together i was instructed - not asked - to bring these for each potluck thereafter, by my food-loving co-workers

get a labrador retriever; that will cure the problem
your garbage disposal will rust from disuse
That's a Lab. Mine loves everything. I just make sure she earns her keep by cleaning the dishes before I load them on sanitary rinse in the dishwater. Conserve water, get a Lab.

Back
Top Bottom