• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Last night I made tacos. Now, I'm from Los Angeles and I love Mexican food. You cannot get actual Mexican food in Portugal. You can buy tortillas here, but they do not taste right. Not at all. And you can make tortillas, of course, but the corn flour here is different, and I love corn tortillas. They just all taste wrong here.

SO, we went to Spain a couple of weeks ago. Went to an excellent Mexican restaurant there. And they were selling tortillas from Mexico. Brought them home, put them in the freezer. Made chicken tacos with black beans and guacamole last night, and let me tell you, they were the best I've ever had in Portugal.

Too many peppers? I love Santa Fe peppers. They are mild. I can take a limited amount of jalapeno. The serrano peppers are three times hotter than jalapenos. Habaneros are far spicy than serrano peppers. They are just one notch lower than ghost peppers. I learned that the hard way. ;)

Tonight, we were happy with grilled cheese sandwiches and some delicious Freestone peaches peeled and sliced. Best peaches we have had all year.
As @Lisa mentioned, temp and drought can change things quickly. Just a week prior I tasted one of the serrano peppers and it was as mild as a bell pepper. No heat at all. So I just ate the whole thing without problems.

Picked up a rotisserie chicken from the deli. Had sweet corn on the cob and baked sweet potato. Our sweet corn this year is exceptional. If only I could find some beef steak and heirloom tomatoes, it would be perfect.

Chinese food delivered (enough for two days). Basil Shrimp, Hunan Beef, Lemongrass Shrimp and Szechuan Pork.

Tonight I made T-bone steaks that I picked up at the local butcher and fresh Jersey corn on the cob. The corn was SO sweet…my husband and I each ate two ears.

Hubby had outpatient surgery today. I was up at 4:40 AM. It has been a very long day. We were both getting hungry, so we got Arby's new fish and fries. It was awful. Consider this a public announcement. Save your money.

Hubby had outpatient surgery today. I was up at 4:40 AM. It has been a very long day. We were both getting hungry, so we got Arby's new fish and fries. It was awful. Consider this a public announcement. Save your money.
Thanks for the heads up. I tend to like Arby's fish sandwiches.

I hope his recovery is quick and painless.

A made a quick vegetable marinara with mushrooms and peppers from the garden. I served it with whole wheat pasta and a salad. 2 of the cubanelle peppers that I used were very hot.

Lately, I have been snacking on fresh fruit for dessert. I had a mango last week but it wasn't very good. I've eaten 2 fresh pineapples in the past 3 weeks and might get another while they are in season from the Caribbean. I've never broken down/cleaned papaya but they smell good. The local strawberries are very red and sweet but don't have as much flavor as I remember in the past.

Wagyu beef patty on Brioche roll with onion, tomato and mayo. French fries on the side, regular and sweet potato.

Dinner was grilled cheese on sourdough and a can of Campbell's tomato soup.

I have both chicken thigh meat marinating in yogurt for curry, and pizza dough in the 'fridge that will likely be tomorrow or Friday night but I wanted something simple and easy. It doesn't get much lazier than grilled cheese and tomato soup from a can.

I have both chicken thigh meat marinating in yogurt for curry, and pizza dough in the 'fridge that will likely be tomorrow or Friday night but I wanted something simple and easy.
It doesn't get much lazier than grilled cheese and tomato soup from a can.
i suspect the word you were searching for is "better"

I have both chicken thigh meat marinating in yogurt for curry, and pizza dough in the 'fridge that will likely be tomorrow or Friday night but I wanted something simple and easy. It doesn't get much lazier than grilled cheese and tomato soup from a can.
(y)Yes grilled cheese and tomato soup is an easy meal but it is still tasty. Nothing wrong with easy meals. I love to cook but there are days I do not want to be babysitting for hours what I am preparing and even if I did life and everything that needs my attention will not allow me. I am not super woman.

A previous post you talked about making your own marinara sauce reminded me of one of the most favorite meals I had as a child several decades ago. One of the cheapest cuts of meat at that time was round steak, a very lean and tough cut of meat of the hind leg of the cow. Today you find it in ground round but not round steak. It would be cut into portions and was pounded out till it was pretty much pulverized, dredged in seasoned floured and browned. Then they added the tomatoes, green peppers and onions. It simmered for hours. When done, the steak was fork tender. The tomato gravy that was served over the mashed potatoes. It was very tasty

Tonight, it was cheese pizza and salad. It was takeout because I was not able to prepare a meal because of everything else needed my attention.

(y)Yes grilled cheese and tomato soup is an easy meal but it is still tasty. Nothing wrong with easy meals. I love to cook but there are days I do not want to be babysitting for hours what I am preparing and even if I did life and everything that needs my attention will not allow me. I am not super woman.

A previous post you talked about making your own marinara sauce reminded me of one of the most favorite meals I had as a child several decades ago. One of the cheapest cuts of meat at that time was round steak, a very lean and tough cut of meat of the hind leg of the cow. Today you find it in ground round but not round steak. It would be cut into portions and was pounded out till it was pretty much pulverized, dredged in seasoned floured and browned. Then they added the tomatoes, green peppers and onions. It simmered for hours. When done, the steak was fork tender. The tomato gravy that was served over the mashed potatoes. It was very tasty

Tonight, it was cheese pizza and salad. It was takeout because I was not able to prepare a meal because of everything else needed my attention.
Round steak is great for braciola and fajitas. Or Swiss steak.

I could have made the curry but that 45 minutes of work and then about 4 different pans to clean up. I just wasn't that energetic and I wasn't very hungry. I have a bag of of salad greens but that didn't sound very good, even with a grilled sandwich.

We had zucchini pancakes, topped with sour cream, tomato salad on the side.

Back
Top Bottom