• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Don't you lose some of the flavor in the water that way?
Nope.
You start with good, sweet corn that is at room temperature shucked and free of silk. You do not shuck the corn until you are ready to prepare it. If you have kept it in the fridge, set the corn outside in the sun to warm up before shucking. If the corn is cold it will cause the water to cool off and it takes the water a long time to reach a rolling boil again. The more cold ears you put in the longer it takes to get the water to a rolling boil. This is not good.

If you are preparing several ears, you need a stock pot filled with water halfway and bring it to a rolling boil. You do not add anything to the water. Good sweet corn doesn't need anything. The butter, salt and pepper come later.

I have found that when there are a lot of ears of corn sharing the same stockpot, 6-7 minutes tops . If you are only fixing 2-4 ears, you can use a dutch oven and follow the same process for 5 minutes. The corn needs to be removed immediately from the water. When you bite into it, it has a bit of a snap and juicy. You roll it in butter and salt and pepper to taste and you are in hog heaven.

Turkey salad sandwich on Korn's rye bread, Claussen pickle halves on the side. Napolean pastry for dessert.

Turkey salad sandwich on Korn's rye bread, Claussen pickle halves on the side. Napolean pastry for dessert.
Sounds yummy. Claussen makes the best dang pickles ever. Napolean pastries are da bomb. Yum

We are still having whatever comes from the garden. Yesterday we grilled zucchini, tomato and some veg burgers.
Have you ever made zucchini boats? They are delish and so versatile. A good way to use up the zucchini.

Tonight it is the last of the soup and crusty bread. We had a quiche and sliced tomatoes for brunch and haven't been hungry all day. It had cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onions, red bell pepper and packed a little heat from red pepper flakes. It was very good.

Turkey salad sandwich, pickle on the side. Still a little bit left from the turkey we made, but will take a break from it tomorrow. Dog and kitty been having some turkey meals and treats too.

I miss the egg creams at the counter in the drug store.
JMR I found a place where you can still get an egg cream. It's in Ashville, North Carolina. Somebody bought the old Woolworths building and restored the soda fountain and luncheonette area while turning the rest of the building into an art gallery for local artists. They have included all the original menu including egg creams and a few more up to date items. But the prices are not the same. A fried bologna sandwich is now over $7.00. :)

So, if you ever find yourself in Ashville, North Carolina you can get your egg cream while sitting at the soda fountain.

https://www.woolworthwalk.com/soda_fountain.php

Tonight, we finished off the quiche. The soup was used up yesterday and the quiche tonight. Takeout is a turnoff for both of us at this time so that means I have to prepare something tomorrow. It has to be something I can make that does not need to be babysitted because I have things to do.

"Fend for yourself, old man, night" as my beloved wife affectionately refers to it. --- Albacore tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup, dill pickle wedge, 2 mezetta hot peppers, cinnamon apple sauce, a few fritos. Dessert, if any, YTBD.

I made a pizza with some recalcitrant dough that I had in my fridge. Making long fermented yeast dough in high humidity weather is very problematic because the dough absorbs moisture out of the air and throws the balance off. I had about 8 ounces of dough that I added about 1 TBL of oil and 1/3 cup of flour to try to bring it back but what I ended up with was more like Chicago deep dish dough then NYC style thin crust pizza dough. It was very edible but kind of weird for a thin crust pizza.

Toppings were very typical, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, mozzarella, provolone, parm' but I had the first of fresh pepperoncini peppers from my garden the I sauteed with 1 small sliced onion. Fresh parsley, basil and oregano from my garden were the garnishing herbs.

Norwegian salmon fillet with Old Bay, oven broiled. Oven roasted gold potatoes. Lemon raspberry mousse pastry for dessert.
You post the loveliest desserts!

It was another scorcher today. I was not about to turn the oven on or go stand outside in front of a hot grill.
I fixed beef stew in the slow cooker. It was yummy even though I didn't have any mushrooms. There's plenty of leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

JMR I found a place where you can still get an egg cream. It's in Ashville, North Carolina. Somebody bought the old Woolworths building and restored the soda fountain and luncheonette area while turning the rest of the building into an art gallery for local artists. They have included all the original menu including egg creams and a few more up to date items. But the prices are not the same. A fried bologna sandwich is now over $7.00. :)

So, if you ever find yourself in Ashville, North Carolina you can get your egg cream while sitting at the soda fountain.

https://www.woolworthwalk.com/soda_fountain.php

What one are you talking about because I swear it was the Cadberry Egg

cremeegg.pngeggcream.jpeg

Both look pretty good. I have a bit of a hangup about the Cadberry Egg. I never allowed myself to eat one for the longest time. I finally tried one at about age 40
We lived close to a Russell Stover outlet. I loved these
dscf8567.jpg

Now I want one, but thankfully, we aren't anywhere near.

Back
Top Bottom