• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

I sear-roasted a bone-in chiken thigh and put it on top of boxed scalloped potatoes ( I was lazy) in the oven. I steamed some fresh brocolli and dressed it the vinegarette that I usually use for salad.

Fired up the pizza oven, tomatoes, basil from the garden, mushrooms and fresh mozzarella from my neighbor. It was damn hot but a few glasses of rose made it tolerable.
Do you have a freestanding brick pizza oven or something like an Ooni Koda?

Do you have a freestanding brick pizza oven or something like an Ooni Koda?
@Lisa,Yes. We love it. It's hooked up to a gas line on the patio off the back porch. It's great for bistecca alla Fiorentina in about 10 minutes; fish and kabobs take less than 5 minutes. I'm looking forward to using it when it gets cold.

New Chinese place in the neighborhood. Had the Chicken Cashew with rice, snow peas, cream cheese macarons, mixed veggies (yum) and two eggrolls. ( carryout ) Quality is excellent and fairly priced.

@Lisa,Yes. We love it. It's hooked up to a gas line on the patio off the back porch. It's great for bistecca alla Fiorentina in about 10 minutes; fish and kabobs take less than 5 minutes. I'm looking forward to using it when it gets cold.
The various Oonis are very popular on a baking/bread forum that I read. I bake pizza in a electric oven turned to max (550°F) with a ceramic stone. I've never tried to bake pizza on my Weber charcoal grill.

Left over yellow curry sauce with some shallow-fried smashed tofu, and some rice.

Smashed tofu: you squeeze firm tofu in one hand until it comes squeezing out between your fingers. This greatly increases its surface area so it takes sauce better. If you also fry it, it comes out a lot like heavily-cooked scrambled egg. It does take up a lot of oil though; I wonder if this would work in a dry fryer.

Left over yellow curry sauce with some shallow-fried smashed tofu, and some rice.

Smashed tofu: you squeeze firm tofu in one hand until it comes squeezing out between your fingers. This greatly increases its surface area so it takes sauce better. If you also fry it, it comes out a lot like heavily-cooked scrambled egg. It does take up a lot of oil though; I wonder if this would work in a dry fryer.
Deep fried tofu is amazing. I had it first in a Cambodian restaurant in Cleveland.

I made some quesadillas with shredded sharp cheddar, pulled pork and fried onions for me. Sharp cheddar for my son.

He had his with a bowl of cherry tomatoes and I had a side of my “pickled” cucumbers, tomatoes and onion with mine.

Easy and quick and used up some leftovers as we are heading to OCMD this weekend so clearing out the fridge.

Cheeseburger and fries.

I miss the diners we once had in the old part of the city. When all the different fast-food places and restaurant chains came to town, the diners disappeared. It was sad to see because the food was so much better. Same with the soda fountain inside the drug store. When CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and grocery store chains all got into the pharmacy business, the drug store along with the soda fountain shut their doors for good. To this day I haven't had a milkshake, float, sundae and even a cherry or vanilla coke that can match what they made. :(

Tonight I had a honey roasted turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion, mayo along with some chips.
We had one in the town we lived near for a long time. You sit down, cups and thermal decanters filled with delicious coffee appeared without asking. Most people ordered, no one was asked to do so. Home made everything. Yum.

I made a burger in a cast iron pan and microwaved an ear of sweet corn.
Do you use the wet paper towel method for the corn?

Do you use the wet paper towel method for the corn?
I wrapped it in Saran but I did run it under water before I wrapped it to add more moisture to it, so it steamed. It was in the husk. I nuked it for 5 minutes and then rolled it over and added another 2 minutes. I let it set on the counter while I made my burger. When the burger was almost done I husked it and the silk came off with the husk.

I was proud of myself that I ate it without butter because Im trying to lose weight. Just a little bit of salt. I didn't put cheese on the burger either.

We had one in the town we lived near for a long time. You sit down, cups and thermal decanters filled with delicious coffee appeared without asking. Most people ordered, no one was asked to do so. Home made everything. Yum.
Yes, it was homemade Lovebug. Their menus were one page. You didn't have 500 choices. But what they did offer was homemade. They were not open 24-7 and were closed on at least one of the days of the weekend depending on if their day of worship was Saturday or Sunday. It was a different time that I dearly miss.

Tonight I made a hack recipe of grandmother's recipe of chicken noodle soup that was void of any meat and had a tomato seasoned chicken stock that turned it red which resulted in the chicken stock that she made and pampered making sure it came out crystal clear when done. She made her stock with chicken backs. Something you cannot find these days but, in her day, they were abundantly available. To her stock she would add her oldest, onions, celery, and carrots and salt. She would stand over the pot of stock and would skim all the scum that would come to the top while it boiling to ensure that the stock would be clear. The noodles she was going to use in this soup she prepared weeks ago. Before tomato paste was readily available in a can in the early 50's she made her own. But once tomato paste became available, she didn't hesitate to use it. It took a lot of effort to make this soup back then and why it was only made for special occasions. Today I can make a pot of this soup in 40 minutes that would make grandma proud. And that is what I did tonight. It was delish. Like grandma I topped the bowl of soup with fresh parsley and fresh grated parmesan cheese, crusty bread. It was delish.

Corn should be baked in the oven at 350F for 25 minutes, with the husks on.
There are a lot of ways to fix fresh corn on the cob. Just ask a Midwesterner. It comes out delicious by dropping the ears into boiling water for 7 minutes.

I haven't tried it that way. Do you soak it first?
No. Just leave the husks intact, the corn has enough moisture and the husks hold it in. Some people wrap it in foil, but you may need to cook it a little longer.

Keep it simple when you can.

There are a lot of ways to fix fresh corn on the cob. Just ask a Midwesterner. It comes out delicious by dropping the ears into boiling water for 7 minutes.
Don't you lose some of the flavor in the water that way?

Back
Top Bottom