• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

I made a huge pot of vegetable beef soup in my enameled cast iron pot. I need to find something lighter because that is too heavy for me to carry up and down the basement steps where it is stored plus wash it. I've dropped it once and cracked one of the handles. I love using it but it's just too heavy for me.

This past week we used a $25 gift card to Bob Evans on Tuesday and ordered takeout of chicken and noodles for a family of 4 with an order of biscuits and a whole apple pie. Everything was very good. They packed up all kinds of jams, honey and butter for the biscuits and the bill did not exceed the $25 gift card. I could not have bought all the ingredients to make that meal for $25 yet this one provided us with two dinners. I ate two pieces of the pie but hubby finished it off in three days. It was stuffed full of apples. Thursday I made orange chicken and stir fried veggies on a bed of rice. Saturday we used a $50 gift card to Texas Roadhouse. That is a fun place. Service was excellent, We got nice size ribeye steaks, baked potatoes and sautéed mushrooms and fresh yeast rolls. The gift card covered it all. Again, I could not have picked up everything to prepare that meal for two for 50 bucks. It was WAY too much food for me so hubby turned my leftover steak into sandwiches for lunch and dinner. I was very content with a honey crisp apple cored and cut into slices with peanut butter.
Try that Honey Crisp with Marzettis's Lite Caramel sauce. It's omg good.

Spaghetti ala mizithra and a green salad.

Quick, easy, and delicious.

I made a huge pot of vegetable beef soup in my enameled cast iron pot. I need to find something lighter because that is too heavy for me to carry up and down the basement steps where it is stored plus wash it. I've dropped it once and cracked one of the handles. I love using it but it's just too heavy for me.

I did that last week and put up servings for two that will last us quite awhile. Don't mean to complain too much because I really can afford it, but it's getting pricier to make a big pot of soup. I can't imagine how those who have much less are faring...

I did that last week and put up servings for two that will last us quite awhile. Don't mean to complain too much because I really can afford it, but it's getting pricier to make a big pot of soup. I can't imagine how those who have much less are faring...
I had 4 quarts leftover and I froze them in 2x 2-quart deli containers. I have the same amount of the harira that I made on Monday. I love making soup and the leftovers make for easy and healthy meals when I don't want to cook.

they aren't
unfortunately
their number exceeds the reach of churches and other private charities
and underscores the need for more governmental intervention to assist the least among us

as to the preparation of soup, i had never tried anything other than warming a can provided by the campbell soup company
and then i began volunteering at a local soup kitchen. how much quality food could be made for relatively little cost and effort was eye-opening. guess that is why they are called soup kitchens and not steak kitchens
Mom was a great cook, but she never made soup. chowder and stew, yep, but if campbells made it then she had no reason to make it. so i was not exposed to how much better soup could be when it does not come in a can. i would bet a lot of people on the margins do not know that, either

they aren't
unfortunately
their number exceeds the reach of churches and other private charities
and underscores the need for more governmental intervention to assist the least among us

as to the preparation of soup, i had never tried anything other than warming a can provided by the campbell soup company
and then i began volunteering at a local soup kitchen. how much quality food could be made for relatively little cost and effort was eye-opening. guess that is why they are called soup kitchens and not steak kitchens
Mom was a great cook, but she never made soup. chowder and stew, yep, but if campbells made it then she had no reason to make it. so i was not exposed to how much better soup could be when it does not come in a can. i would bet a lot of people on the margins do not know that, either
Soup is the most economically efficient food. The main ingredient is water.

Soup is the most economically efficient food. The main ingredient is water.

Noodles, some cabbage or greens, asian flavor paste. Under 50c but double that if you want some protein (eg 2 eggs).

Home-made tofu is supposed to be the cheapest protein ingredient. I could never be bothered though. When someone says "cheese cloth" I lose all interest. Also home-made eggs are a lot more entertaining (chickens are hilarious).

Back
Top Bottom