• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Today son and family came home for their Dad's birthday. Our daughter and family will be here Wednesday. It was probably one of the best visits ever for me because I was not in the kitchen all day preparing a meal. The meat and cheese platter was a great idea. The only thing I made was the cake and hubby's favorite pasta salad. Everything else purchased was pre-made. I did not think the kids would like the spice cake their grandfather loves so I bought different ice cream treats to compensate. Boy was I wrong. They all loved it! I am shocked I tell you! I offered vanilla ice cream or whipped cream with the cake. Hubby is lucky he still has a couple pieces left. Anyway anyone interested in a very easy spice bundt cake, I will be glad to share the recipe.

I'm at a loss for what this is....sending me to google....lol
The chili rellenos are just a green chili stuffed with cheese and fried in a light batter until crispy, smothered in a mild green chili sauce. Never made them myself, but here one that looks similar.

chile-rellenoes.png

The chili rellenos are just a green chili stuffed with cheese and fried in a light batter until crispy, smothered in a mild green chili sauce. Never made them myself, but here one that looks similar.

chile-rellenoes.png
This sounds a little familiar now....I will try to remember it and see if it's available where I sometimes order ....

This sounds a little familiar now....I will try to remember it and see if it's available where I sometimes order ....

And a really simple way to do them is stuff the chile with the cheese, wrap them with an egg roll wrapper and fry them. I'm not sure where you are in the country but 505 Southwest makes a decent hot green chili, for commercial made.

This version can't be called authentic, but it works really well and satisfies me, and chiles rellenos is my favorite Mexican food.

And a really simple way to do them is stuff the chile with the cheese, wrap them with an egg roll wrapper and fry them. I'm not sure where you are in the country but 505 Southwest makes a decent hot green chili, for commercial made.

This version can't be called authentic, but it works really well and satisfies me, and chiles rellenos is my favorite Mexican food.
We always use the 505 'medium' green chili sauce, good stuff! We don't make rellenos with it, but your recipe seems easy and doable. :) We make smothered bean burritos with it. We wrap vegetarian refried beans, chopped onion and either American or shredded mild cheddar in whole wheat tortillas (Stacey's). Then we put a couple of slices of American cheese on top with the 505 sauce, bake in oven until cheese is melted and everything is hot.

We always use the 505 'medium' green chili sauce, good stuff! We don't make rellenos with it, but your recipe seems easy and doable. :) We make smothered bean burritos with it. We wrap vegetarian refried beans, chopped onion and either American or shredded mild cheddar in whole wheat tortillas (Stacey's). Then we put a couple of slices of American cheese on top with the 505 sauce, bake in oven until cheese is melted and everything is hot.

Yeah, we use the 505 for burritos too. I've even used it over spaghetti with some jack cheese sprinkled on, lol. The rellenos recipe is super easy (I hate cooking), and honestly, I like it as much as getting them delivered. Of course the only Mexican restaurants we have near us are 3 Margarita's and Coronas. And while Corona's isn't bad, it never seems really hot (stove hot), even when you eat in.

We had leftovers and they were quite tasty. Not sure what we will be having tomorrow because currently we are going through a spell of high temps and neither one of us are about to grill over a hot grill during such a time. One thing for sure is I have peaches that are ripe and need to be used so I will be making a peach cobbler in air conditioning . This coming week looks like a week for takeout and use up all the gift cards to restaurants we have yet to use over the past year.

Tonight we had a traditional British meal…Spagbol…that the Italians stole a hundred or so years ago. I’ve been there …and our version is better. To finish it off we stir good quality Cheddar cheese in …the Italians always leave this bit out. May have a fresh cream cake later…

A214A997-F365-4615-A4FA-A1B2557EB77B.jpeg3B4FBF5E-05BD-4F7D-850F-C45D17103204.jpeg1A3C7C5E-1830-4A9B-960F-1D4140BF3B49.jpeg

I made a red curry with chicken thighs yesterday for dinner with rice and naan. I added some steamed veggies with mine because I'm trying to lose Covid19 weight and veggie curries are an easy way to do it and not feel deprived.

Tonight it's making burgers on the grill, german potato salad, and roasted Brussels sprouts.

There are a few things that always taste better the second day, usually one pot meals with lots of spices and sauces. When you make chicken madras for example, I like to prepare it say today and eat it tomorrow. Because the sauce that coats the chicken gets the whole night to marinate into the chicken meat more and more giving the meal a lot more taste. I always use off the bone chicken for my Indian sauces (out of a bottle/package) but never chicken fillets. I always chicken thigh fillets, much more succulent IMO than normal chicken fillets.

The same goes with macaroni with ground half and half meat (never use ground beef, it just is a bit dry for me, I use half ground beef and half ground pork which makes the ground meat a lot more succulent so to speak), I make it with a kilogram of meat, a kilogram of veggies and about a liter of tomato sauce (and that is just passata, tomatoes run through a sieve without additions). Then comes the spicing, I add smoked paprika powder, spicy paprika powder and a bit of chili powder for a bit of heat.

It tastes great on the first day, it tastes better the second day IMO.

Wasn't hungry, had a can of mixed vegetables and Ritz crackers with Smart Balance.

Back
Top Bottom