• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Thin sliced pork barbecue on a bun, potato salad, sweet tea and banana pudding on what would have been my dad's 76th birthday. He always hosted a pig-pickin' on the weekend before his birthday. He and his buddies stayed up all night with the pig, drinking bourbon and sharing stories, went to bed at sunrise and got together after it cooled to make minced, pulled and sliced barbecue. All of them were were cardiac-surgeon-foodies who only ate pork a few times a year and made it a celebration.

Happy birthday, Daddy.

I had made and ate Bami, which is noodles with meat and veggies (plus eastern spices).

I sliced pork belly into strips (nice and big ones to get the maximum flavor. I then fried them in a pan until they were cooked and a bit crisped up. Then I added the eastern veggies (bean sprouts, white cabbage, carrots, etc. etc.). I halved the red chili's that were in there and took out the pips and then added it to the mix of vegetable and meat. I let that cook until cooked.

Then came the spices. First some Laos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpinia_galanga, and some djahé (a powdered ginger) and then some Ketjap Bentang Manis (which is an Indonesian Soy sauce in this case the sweet one). Then add some noodles and I had a nice meal.

I had an elegant dinner tonight. Cottage Cheese and peaches. :) I have been busy lately with doctor appointments, dentist appointments, and hubby's birthday is this weekend. I have all the ingredients to make his cake. His favorite cake is a spice cake and he does not want any icing on it. Not exactly a crowd pleaser but it is his birthday so he will get what he likes. I have a spice bunt cake recipe that gets just a dusting of powder sugar he likes. The kids show up sometime together and other times at different times. So I am going to get a Boar's Head meat and cheese platter and all the fixings to fix a great sandwich and a pasta salad hubby loves. So no matter what time they show up if they are hungry they can help themselves. I am going to pickup multiple types of ice cream and the fixings to make floats or sundaes with the kids in mind because spice cake.....will not be a hit with them .

I remembered that I had some IQF cod fillets in the freezer, so I made a salad of lentils and tabbouleh with the parsley. I pan-seared the cod and finished it in the oven while I made a pan sauce of white wine, lemon, butter, and capers.

Warmed baguette and a tall glass of iced tea made a very refreshing and light meal.

Thin sliced pork barbecue on a bun, potato salad, sweet tea and banana pudding on what would have been my dad's 76th birthday. He always hosted a pig-pickin' on the weekend before his birthday. He and his buddies stayed up all night with the pig, drinking bourbon and sharing stories, went to bed at sunrise and got together after it cooled to make minced, pulled and sliced barbecue. All of them were were cardiac-surgeon-foodies who only ate pork a few times a year and made it a celebration.

Happy birthday, Daddy.
Banana pudding is the best.

I had made and ate Bami, which is noodles with meat and veggies (plus eastern spices).

I sliced pork belly into strips (nice and big ones to get the maximum flavor. I then fried them in a pan until they were cooked and a bit crisped up. Then I added the eastern veggies (bean sprouts, white cabbage, carrots, etc. etc.). I halved the red chili's that were in there and took out the pips and then added it to the mix of vegetable and meat. I let that cook until cooked.

Then came the spices. First some Laos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpinia_galanga, and some djahé (a powdered ginger) and then some Ketjap Bentang Manis (which is an Indonesian Soy sauce in this case the sweet one). Then add some noodles and I had a nice meal.
Sounds good.

Happy birthday, Daddy.
Sounds wonderful! My condolences for the loss of your father, happy birthday to a well loved Dad.

Part of a big tenderloin. The rest will probably go to the dogs.
A small serving of fried cheese curds.

Tried this honey garlic butter chicken recipe on top of some basmati rice. It was pretty good.

honey....good, garlic....good, butter....good, chicken....good... What could go wrong. That sounds super.

Banana pudding is the best.
Banana desserts are in my top ten starting with banana cream pie. An old 1950's recipe my mom would make had three ingredients. Jello Banana pudding, 2 large boxes (the kind you have to cook), sliced bananas and vanilla wafers. In a clear glass bowl she would put a layer of vanilla wafers on the bottom. Then she would spoon a third of the pudding on top of the layer of wafers. The next layer, sliced bananas tossed in a citrus juice to keep them from turning brown. These three layers are repeated a second time. The last layer is the last third of pudding which is topped with crushed vanilla wafers sprinkled on top. An easy recipe from the 50's I loved as a kid and my kids and grandkids love it too.

Back
Top Bottom