• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Big yummy salad with all my favorites. Crisp Romaine, black olives, cherry tomatoes, English cucumber slices, red onion, chopped hard boiled eggs, shredded blend of Italian cheeses and chunky Bleu Cheese dressing. It was delish.

Made orange chicken, rice and broccoli. Next time I'm using corn starch to coat the chicken instead of flour, as you can see the skin was falling off all over. Still was a hit.
20210512_180528_copy_1564x1173.jpg

Made orange chicken, rice and broccoli. Next time I'm using corn starch to coat the chicken instead of flour, as you can see the skin was falling off all over. Still was a hit.
View attachment 67332939

Why do you suppose that happened though? The flour bomb? ;) I'm glad it tasted great despite the glitch.

We're having Asian cuisine too; Shrimp fried rice.

I lost track of this thread for a while. Lots to catch up on. Crumpets! Trader Joe's has those sometimes.

Tonight I had leftover grilled chicken breast to deal with. Sauteed onions, garlic and spinach, added some bowtie pasta and cut up chickent breast. Sprinkled a bit of grated parmesan. It was a good leftover dish.

Why do you suppose that happened though? The flour bomb? ;) I'm glad it tasted great despite the glitch.

We're having Asian cuisine too; Shrimp fried rice.
Probably because instead of laying them out on paper towels when I was done frying them like the recipe said, I put them all in a bowl with a paper towel at the bottom, with the lid on, until it was time to add them to the sauce, which was longer than anticipated. Usually the corn starch holds up to such treatment, it's what I use for general tsos and it works fine.

Probably because instead of laying them out on paper towels when I was done frying them like the recipe said, I put them all in a bowl with a paper towel at the bottom, with the lid on, until it was time to add them to the sauce, which was longer than anticipated. Usually the corn starch holds up to such treatment, it's what I use for general tsos and it works fine.

Ah, makes sense. They were still hot and thought you wanted to give them a steam bath, hence they shed their outer layer.

my wife is on yet another new diet. this time, it's vegan
being a meatatarian, i am on my own (at least until her next diet)
fortunately, she grows herbs
did not pick up pastry to cook a chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings, so the picked (rotisserie) bird was destined to become chicken and rice soup
basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and salt worked well together with diced garlic, browned chopped onion, chicken stock, botan rice (thanks for pointing me to that brand, risky), chopped bacon (previously cooked with an intent towards chicken salad), carrot, celery stalk, wilted spring mix greens, lemon juice, and the guest of honor
too thick for soup, too thin for a bog; the nite is cool, so it was warm and welcome despite its shortcomings
had never heard of, much less cooked, a florentine beef steak spiral. suspect the grocery must not have sold all of its tenderloins on special last week, and offered these in pairs, butterflied into a spiral. saw internet recommendations to pan fry to sear in the juices. heated the oven to 550 degrees with the cast iron skillet inside. once at temperature, set the stove top burner on max, dropped the steaks on the hot, dry skillet and seared both sides in under 6 minutes - total. turned off the oven and left the skillet inside to finish the cook; about 6 more minutes, to reach 140 and voila, i'm no longer a florentine rookie. the wilted spinach and provolone cheese really took the main course up a notch. will be looking for more of these butcher shop specials

my wife is on yet another new diet. this time, it's vegan
being a meatatarian, i am on my own (at least until her next diet)
fortunately, she grows herbs
did not pick up pastry to cook a chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings, so the picked (rotisserie) bird was destined to become chicken and rice soup
basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and salt worked well together with diced garlic, browned chopped onion, chicken stock, botan rice (thanks for pointing me to that brand, risky), chopped bacon (previously cooked with an intent towards chicken salad), carrot, celery stalk, wilted spring mix greens, lemon juice, and the guest of honor
too thick for soup, too thin for a bog; the nite is cool, so it was warm and welcome despite its shortcomings
had never heard of, much less cooked, a florentine beef steak spiral. suspect the grocery must not have sold all of its tenderloins on special last week, and offered these in pairs, butterflied into a spiral. saw internet recommendations to pan fry to sear in the juices. heated the oven to 550 degrees with the cast iron skillet inside. once at temperature, set the stove top burner on max, dropped the steaks on the hot, dry skillet and seared both sides in under 6 minutes - total. turned off the oven and left the skillet inside to finish the cook; about 6 more minutes, to reach 140 and voila, i'm no longer a florentine rookie. the wilted spinach and provolone cheese really took the main course up a notch. will be looking for more of these butcher shop specials
Well justabubba, you have my deepest sympathy. A suggestion you might find helpful is to do a search for recipes for two. You could have it one night and the leftovers the next day.

Well justabubba, you have my deepest sympathy. A suggestion you might find helpful is to do a search for recipes for two. You could have it one night and the leftovers the next day.
agreed
however, i am not keen on leftovers - as a general rule; tho said 'rule' is often broken
and while i am only cooking for one, i still tend to prepare as if it were still for a family of four ... despite that my youngest left the nest 14 years ago
in this instance, the 'old dog, new tricks' adage is an appropriate one

agreed
however, i am not keen on leftovers - as a general rule; tho said 'rule' is often broken
and while i am only cooking for one, i still tend to prepare as if it were still for a family of four ... despite that my youngest left the nest 14 years ago
in this instance, the 'old dog, new tricks' adage is an appropriate one
When the kids left home it was really hard to learn to cook for two. I would fix something and we would eat it for three days and the rest got thrown out. which made me feel bad because I hate to waste but if it is not eaten in three days it is a rule in my home it gets thrown out. And after eating it for three days, you were not in a hurry to have that dish again anytime soon. Good news for you is grilling time is here and if you don't have an outside grill they make some nice smokeless inside grills. There's steaks, lamb chops, pork chops, burgers you can do on a grill with a side of grilled veggies. When buying your choices of meat, take what you want for a serving and freeze the rest in individual servings for another day. When it comes to comfort food it takes some math to make 1 or two portions but it can be done.

Good luck.

Today marks the end of Ramadan, so I'm making harrira. I don't have ground lamb, so its beef instead.

View attachment 67332939
I love many Chinese/American dishes made with chicken and Orange Chicken is one of them. You are spot on about switching from flour to corn starch.

Ree Drummond has a good recipe for Orange Chicken. She makes a batter for the chicken with 4 egg whites and 2 Tbsp. corn starch whisked till frothy leaving the chicken pieces in the batter a few minutes before frying. But she also gives a good tip about removing the chicken from the oil after it reaches a golden brown letting it drain on paper towels then returns them back to the fryer for a half a minute or so because that makes the chicken crispy and will hold up to the sauce . She also gives a recipe for the sauce that requires a lot of ingredients but today there are a good number of premade oranges sauces.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/orange-chicken-2495688

I made chicken karahi with boneless skinless thighs. I made rice and boughten cilantro naan instead of roti.

fish sandwich
cheeseburger with no pickles or onions.

busy week. lots of fast food, travel, and car repairs. i finally got my car back, though, so that means my wife got her car back, too. my wallet weighs three grand less.

fish sandwich
cheeseburger with no pickles or onions.

busy week. lots of fast food, travel, and car repairs. i finally got my car back, though, so that means my wife got her car back, too. my wallet weighs three grand less.
More money more problems.

Back
Top Bottom