• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Ham and cheesy scalloped potatoes. I made a small carrot cake for dessert.

I had brussels sprouts to roast, but I was too busy making the carrot cake and didnt get them in the oven in time. Maybe tomorrow.
Your easter supper sounds like mine, except I steamed broccoli instead of Brussels.

inCollage_20210405_090504707_copy_960x960.jpg
PXL_20210404_215500287_copy_936x563.jpg

Roast beef sandwich on French bread with Provolone cheese, onions, tomato, lettuce, oil/vinegar and oregano. No contact delivery from Jimmy John's.

Broiled fresh salmon with lemon. (lemon is from our own grove)
Baby new potatoes.
Steamed broccoli.

We thought we'd do light today because this morning we went out to one of our fav. diners and pretty much pigged out. ;)

Ate at one of the best seafood restaurants in the world. We do so often. Know the owner, a fellow business owner, well. I had grouper.

I don't like grouper, though probably the most popular fish here for restaurants claiming they serve good seafood. I find it mushy, fishy and lacking in flakiness. I mentioned that tonight, and he agreed - except his grouper. There are dozens of species and he only serves one.

He owns 4 fishing boats. 2 year. One that operates out of the Keys. And I up East. His crews have strict instructions of which fish to pick off for his restaurant. Fresh and fresh can be. He's a strict but friendly boss. Do it his way or don't have a job. No food sitting under a heat lamp, for example.

His sides are only passable. But meat? Fish? OMG!

Meat? This area is horse and cattle country, mostly horses. The most expensive horses in the USA tend to be kept here, the area known for the excellent hay and other feds, plus the grazing land. Beef from here - all natural raised and grazed - go for TOP dollar. A 1,000 Black Angus will sell for $4500 to $6000 dollars each. Not 1000 pounds meat, but 1000 pounds of cow including bones, intestines, skin etc.

That's where he gets his beef. Auctions for top quality cows - he then has butchered. Not exactly health department kosher, but that's another thing a like about this area. His burgers and steaks - awesome and would cost 2 to 3 times as much elsewhere for the quality. But it's all about the fish.

No secret either. Seats about 100 people. No reservations allowed. 6 days a week it is a continuous waiting line - other than maybe between 2:30 and 3:45 week days. Nice atmosphere too, full liquor bar. We eat there probably once a week.

He's a self-made man too. Started working on a fishing boat and working part time as a cook. Married a fisherman's daughter. Got his own boat. Then another. Opened a tiny restaurant - immediately so packed he had another built - and another boat.

He's there when the business is open. Meets everyone dining, in and out of the kitchen constantly too. Anyway, that's what I had for dinner. Next time I'll have a New York Strip. I saw the Black Angus he bought a few weeks ago. I want a piece of it. LOL

Broiled fresh salmon with lemon. (lemon is from our own grove)
Baby new potatoes.
Steamed broccoli.

We thought we'd do light today because this morning we went out to one of our fav. diners and pretty much pigged out. ;)
Your dinner sounds really refreshing.

Another thing I like is he's closed on Monday - but everyone comes it. They take the place a
Thank you... I try to do salmon once a week. Omegas, ya know..

Do you ask where the salmon is from? Farm raised? Wild caught? Atlantic? Scottish? We avoid farm raised Salmon because of what they feed them.
The one thing we can't find is a restaurant that served GOOD smoked Salmon - meaning they smoked it rather than packaged. Dry and flaky, not wet and oily.

Homemade chicken curry last night ...my wife made it, kinda half way between Chinese and Indian curry , with naan and rice, really enjoyed it .

About once a month I MUST have curry! Maybe twice. But no more. Particularly like to eat it using the naan as my utensil.

Ate at one of the best seafood restaurants in the world. We do so often. Know the owner, a fellow business owner, well. I had grouper.

I don't like grouper, though probably the most popular fish here for restaurants claiming they serve good seafood. I find it mushy, fishy and lacking in flakiness. I mentioned that tonight, and he agreed - except his grouper. There are dozens of species and he only serves one.

He owns 4 fishing boats. 2 year. One that operates out of the Keys. And I up East. His crews have strict instructions of which fish to pick off for his restaurant. Fresh and fresh can be. He's a strict but friendly boss. Do it his way or don't have a job. No food sitting under a heat lamp, for example.

His sides are only passable. But meat? Fish? OMG!

Meat? This area is horse and cattle country, mostly horses. The most expensive horses in the USA tend to be kept here, the area known for the excellent hay and other feds, plus the grazing land. Beef from here - all natural raised and grazed - go for TOP dollar. A 1,000 Black Angus will sell for $4500 to $6000 dollars each. Not 1000 pounds meat, but 1000 pounds of cow including bones, intestines, skin etc.

That's where he gets his beef. Auctions for top quality cows - he then has butchered. Not exactly health department kosher, but that's another thing a like about this area. His burgers and steaks - awesome and would cost 2 to 3 times as much elsewhere for the quality. But it's all about the fish.

No secret either. Seats about 100 people. No reservations allowed. 6 days a week it is a continuous waiting line - other than maybe between 2:30 and 3:45 week days. Nice atmosphere too, full liquor bar. We eat there probably once a week.

He's a self-made man too. Started working on a fishing boat and working part time as a cook. Married a fisherman's daughter. Got his own boat. Then another. Opened a tiny restaurant - immediately so packed he had another built - and another boat.

He's there when the business is open. Meets everyone dining, in and out of the kitchen constantly too. Anyway, that's what I had for dinner. Next time I'll have a New York Strip. I saw the Black Angus he bought a few weeks ago. I want a piece of it. LOL
Every time we have gone to Florida, the grouper is something I look forward to and get my fill. Grouper sandwiches, grouper steaks.... Son and family went to Florida for Spring break. The last place they went before heading home is the fish market for the catch of the day. They packed it well in ice and they delivered some beautiful grouper steaks. I can't wait to fix them.

Another thing I like is he's closed on Monday - but everyone comes it. They take the place a

Do you ask where the salmon is from? Farm raised? Wild caught? Atlantic? Scottish? We avoid farm raised Salmon because of what they feed them.
The one thing we can't find is a restaurant that served GOOD smoked Salmon - meaning they smoked it rather than packaged. Dry and flaky, not wet and oily.

We buy ours at Costco. costco salmon - Bing images What's available, we buy.
If you are ever in San Diego, try Pt. Loma Seafoods. Yummy smoked local fish and salmon.

Every time we have gone to Florida, the grouper is something I look forward to and get my fill. Grouper sandwiches, grouper steaks.... Son and family went to Florida for Spring break. The last place they went before heading home is the fish market for the catch of the day. They packed it well in ice and they delivered some beautiful grouper steaks. I can't wait to fix them.

It is #1 choice in Florida. At the restaurant I mentioned, he has his fishing crew pull off the Scamp Grouper for his restaurant. The others
grouper are sold at the fish market. He said it is hard to get - because fishing boat owners and crew pull Scamps off for themselves.

The most common grouper around here is Red Grouper - but they tend to have little black worms. Won't hurt you if cooked - but still no thanks.

leftover spaghetti from the freezer
bread stick.

i find that freezing prepared pasta is hit or miss. seems like you'd almost have to flash freeze it and vacuum seal it. this one had only been frozen a week or two, though, so it was decent.

leftover spaghetti from the freezer
bread stick.

i find that freezing prepared pasta is hit or miss. seems like you'd almost have to flash freeze it and vacuum seal it. this one had only been frozen a week or two, though, so it was decent.
@Helix, try placing it in a plastic bag and simmer.

Lou Malnati's sausage deep dish pizza (delivered from Chicago).

@ChezC3, we did order the plain cheese and a sausage pizza from Lou Malnati's. Was supposed to arrive last Friday, then they sent an email that afternoon saying they had a mechanical breakdown and wouldn't ship it until Monday. Turns out they didn't ship until yesterday, so it did arrive today. We had the sausage, the taste of everything was good, the crust was a bit hard for some reason, don't think I over cooked it, not sure if it's supposed to be that way. We favor NY style, have forever, but wanted to try this one. Was good, glad we checked it out. Thanks for your input. 👍

Back
Top Bottom