• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

They are good... lots of British cuisine is not though so people tend to default to the worst.
Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.
DXNKGzHLdO0uGRqCcaCndMXeMXFss9f695nxemNP8XPXARSKCz6KsnxndNEOoqTDFIQhTRNZgRy8Ore_pIrgPzKws9-xMXueDkYA6ajgZZGUgI4rEANH7gk_0aaEos6tR0nar-34

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

You know, once you get it into your head that you're not really eating pizza, more so, I guess you could call it a "flatbread" then CPK actually is pretty decent.

That being said, if you make it east to Las Vegas a south side fav Aurelio's has an outpost and I know in Denver there's a Numero Uno, well, Aurora I think is it's actual location.

But yeah, I definitely don't go to Cali for the pizza.....lol

Now there's a blast from the past... We used to go to Aurelios in Villa Park all the time. After a Bears game we'd go to another of our favorites; Papa Milanos. I believe it was on Rush. It's closed now. My favorite of all! Everything homemade.
Opened back up by their kids, though in another downtown location. Haven't been there though. They have a place in LaJolla, CA. called The Spot. The owner is from Chicago. Not bad deep dish. I am more into the thin crust.

CA. is all about the Mexican fare. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

yep! my wife told me to pick up some cheese tomorrow, so that's what i'll do.

Let us know how good it is later today.
I love leftovers. I also like to sauté left over spaghetti in a little garlic infused butter and a dash or two of olive oil on top of the stove.
Good thing I had my gallbladder removed recently, my appetite is coming back finally...;)

Let us know how good it is later today.
I love leftovers. I also like to sauté left over spaghetti in a little garlic infused butter and a dash or two of olive oil on top of the stove.
Good thing I had my gallbladder removed recently, my appetite is coming back finally...;)

My dad had that done years ago. Probably means that I'm in line for the same. I'm glad that your appetite improved.

Now there's a blast from the past... We used to go to Aurelios in Villa Park all the time. After a Bears game we'd go to another of our favorites; Papa Milanos. I believe it was on Rush. It's closed now. My favorite of all! Everything homemade.
Opened back up by their kids, though in another downtown location. Haven't been there though. They have a place in LaJolla, CA. called The Spot. The owner is from Chicago. Not bad deep dish. I am more into the thin crust.

CA. is all about the Mexican fare. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Heh, I grew up on the original out of Homewood....Man, can I tell you a story or two about Joe... Never had Papa Milanos, thin crust I'm actually partial to Dag's @ Addison & Southport....that's for Thin Crust, not just the "regular" pizza people call thin crust...

I'm in La Jolla at least once a year. Have to check it out.

I never miss a morning at Harry's Coffee Shop when I'm there. Damned B.W. Benny adds 5 pounds alone when I make the trip... I also make it a point to hit Roberto's over by Torrey Pines SB a couple times a trip for my Carne Asada fries...

Roast beef and provolone cheese sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onions, oil, vinegar, basil, oregano, mayo on French loaf. Jimmy John's no contact delivery.

mede the leftover spaghetti into a baked spaghetti. my wife found the recipe. mostly, it was adding shredded cheese and an egg, mixing, and then baking for thirty minutes. turned out pretty well. i made garlic bread.

Oven baked chicken, mashed potatoes and peas.

Coated the chicken with Jessica's GF all purpose flour mixed with some salt and pepper and cayenne pepper. Melt butter in a glass pan at 425. Put the chicken in and turn it down to 350. Approx 15 minutes on both sides. Start with skin side down.

Heh, I grew up on the original out of Homewood....Man, can I tell you a story or two about Joe... Never had Papa Milanos, thin crust I'm actually partial to Dag's @ Addison & Southport....that's for Thin Crust, not just the "regular" pizza people call thin crust...

I'm in La Jolla at least once a year. Have to check it out.

I never miss a morning at Harry's Coffee Shop when I'm there. Damned B.W. Benny adds 5 pounds alone when I make the trip... I also make it a point to hit Roberto's over by Torrey Pines SB a couple times a trip for my Carne Asada fries...

There was a wonderful pizza place in Homewood back in the sixties. My dad on the way home from work would stop off and it bring a couple of them home for us. It was called IC pizza; named and located by IL. Central train depot I would presume. We always looked forward to that treat.

I love Harry's! We live inland now, but our doctors are still at the coast. We make our doctors' apts. early in the morning, and then we stop for breakfast afterwards at Harry's. I don't have to tell you how wonderful their menu is along with their coffee. Big, big breakfast menu, good stuff. :)

I have nothing exciting to share tonight. We ate a late Wendy's to go lunch when we drove out to the coast to catch the high surf today.
Maybe something light later.

Oven baked chicken, mashed potatoes and peas.

Coated the chicken with Jessica's GF all purpose flour mixed with some salt and pepper and cayenne pepper. Melt butter in a glass pan at 425. Put the chicken in and turn it down to 350. Approx 15 minutes on both sides. Start with skin side down.
Try this
if you dare. Best of both worlds.

quite a 'healthy' meal, breaking my 24-hour fast:

corn dogs and french fries

new corn dog recipe (adding honey) was really great. don't even need a clock during my fast as i will be looking for recipes 18 hours in, every damn time

Try this
if you dare. Best of both worlds.

Interesting. The only mushy peas I have ever had come from a can. I use frozen because i love the snap of them. I really do like canned peas in my macaroni and peas with butter.

Interesting. The only mushy peas I have ever had come from a can. I use frozen because i love the snap of them. I really do like canned peas in my macaroni and peas with butter.
In the U.K. you can get pea fritters that are made with mushy peas....and people say our food is shit!

I’ve been all around western Europe and British food is just as good as anything on the continent..if anything we have far more choice here ...it’s a myth that British food is poor...who doesn’t like getting their chops around some spotted dick....🤣

In the U.K. you can get pea fritters that are made with mushy peas....and people say our food is shit!

I’ve been all around western Europe and British food is just as good as anything on the continent..if anything we have far more choice here ...it’s a myth that British food is poor...who doesn’t like getting their chops around some spotted dick....🤣

We have what's called a British food store and restaurant here. How else would I have ever come across clotted cream for my spice chai tea. I also get saffron from there and many other food items that I really enjoy.

We are having Boar's Head thinly sliced roast beef with some Johnny's Au Jus served on a lightly buttered, toasted bolillo roll.
It will be accompanied by air frying* some Idaho taters aka low cal French fries. (*trying to curb the calories) ;)

Oven grilled Norwegian salmon fillet with sliced gold potatoes sauteed in olive oil. Fresh blueberries for dessert.

British cooking and baking shows seem to confirm what you are saying. The food might have had a bad rep in the past, but I suspect that immigrants may have had a positive influence. Of course it all depends on one's palate, don't you think? I found things like cucumber sandwiches pleasing, while friends thought they were rather bland.

we enjoyed your food while visiting a few years ago. i'll admit that the baked beans and tomato options at breakfast were a bit different, but we definitely didn't go hungry. it was a really fun trip.

i made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for the family. turned out ok, considering i only had my wife's goose food white bread to work with.

British cooking and baking shows seem to confirm what you are saying. The food might have had a bad rep in the past, but I suspect that immigrants may have had a positive influence. Of course it all depends on one's palate, don't you think? I found things like cucumber sandwiches pleasing, while friends thought they were rather bland.
I think that there is a misconception about British food...for example , I have probably ate cucumber sandwiches once in my life. Traditional British food tends to be simple meat and fish based meals where potatoes play a key role...but now British food has become a twist on all sorts of international food. Most people here will eat a pasta dish once or twice a week , same for Indian, Chinese , Mexican and various other interpretations of foreign food. But much of our traditional food is superb ...most of northern Europe is famous for pies , sausages, stews and puddings, cheeses, cakes and deserts ( like the British spotted dick)... we are still a part of that Northern European heritage so our foods are pretty similar in many respects. I think a lot of our poor reputation stems from the decades after WW2 when this country was pretty poor and people were just happy to eat whatever they could get their hands on ( like imported spam and corned beef)...my mum told me about when she and her sister had to share one egg and some bread and margarine with my grand parents in the 1960s after my grandad got home from digging holes all day. There were not many fat people in the U.K. back then lol...

Back
Top Bottom