• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What did the Clinton Administration know about 9/11/01 and when did they know it?

Oops, wrong again NP!

"Hannity distorted a remark Clinton made in a speech to the Long Island Association's annual luncheon on February 15, 2002, in which Clinton said that he "pleaded with the Saudis" to accept Sudan's offer to hand bin Laden to Saudi Arabia. Sudan never offered bin Laden to the United States."

Oops, wrong again, at least according to an audio recording of Clinton himself:
"Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we'd been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start meeting with them again.

"They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America.

"So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, 'cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato . . ."

-Bill Clinton at the Long Island Association on February 15, 2002

Gill and NP, where does it say that Sudan offered bin Laden to the United States?

Last edited:
Binary_Digit said:
Gill and NP, where does it say that Sudan offered bin Laden to the United States?

Do you know how to search on google? Give it a shot......Try Sudan offers bin laden to Clinton...........Its easy.............

Clinton said "I did not bring him here". Why would he say that if it was not in his power to bring him here? He did not say 'I COULD not bring him here'.

Take NP's advice. The audio is readily available on the net, so you can hear it from Clinton's own mouth.

Navy Pride said:
Do you know how to search on google? Give it a shot......Try Sudan offers bin laden to Clinton...........Its easy.............
Sure, and here's what I get:

"WASHINGTON The government of Sudan, using a back channel direct from its president to the Central Intelligence Agency in the United States, offered in the early spring of 1996 to arrest Osama bin Laden and place him in custody in Saudi Arabia, according to officials and former officials in all three countries.

The Clinton administration struggled to find a way to accept the offer in secret contacts that stretched from a meeting at hotel in Arlington, Virginia, on March 3, 1996, to a fax that closed the door on the effort 10 weeks later.

Unable to persuade the Saudis to accept Mr. bin Laden, and lacking a case to indict him in U.S. courts, the Clinton administration finally gave up on the capture. "

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/pol/127408776.html

Now recall what Clinton said:

"So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, 'cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn't and that's how he wound up in Afghanistan."

It was Saudi Arabia who turned down the opportunity, not Clinton. Google is your friend too! :2razz:

Gill said:
Clinton said "I did not bring him here". Why would he say that if it was not in his power to bring him here? He did not say 'I COULD not bring him here'.

Take NP's advice. The audio is readily available on the net, so you can hear it from Clinton's own mouth.
I read the transcript. It's in the link I posted myself. Clinton answered that question already:

"At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him"

Maybe he COULD have brought him here, but we would likely have had to just let him go, because he had committed no crimes against America at the time.

Back
Top Bottom