• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did Jesus look like'

Not according to the (NT) Bible.
According to other contemporary sources, He was the son of a Roman soldier and was named Yeshu ben Panthera (also Pandira or Pantera). The name is found in Celsus. In the Tosefta, there are two stories - one of a rabbi who told of hearing the story from a street preacher in Sepphoris - late 1st, early 2nd century and the other describes an attempt by another rabbi trying to heal a snake-bitten man by calling on Yeshua bin Pandera.

By the 4th century, the story of Jesus being the son of a Roman soldier was so widely known, it caused Epiphanius to write that "ben Pandera" was actually a nickname for Jacob, Joseph's father.

One version of the tale has Yeshu ben Panthera living and dying 60 to 70 years before the traditional time given to Jesus of Nazareth.

According to other contemporary sources, He was the son of a Roman soldier and was named Yeshu ben Panthera (also Pandira or Pantera). The name is found in Celsus. In the Tosefta, there are two stories - one of a rabbi who told of hearing the story from a street preacher in Sepphoris - late 1st, early 2nd century and the other describes an attempt by another rabbi trying to heal a snake-bitten man by calling on Yeshua bin Pandera.

By the 4th century, the story of Jesus being the son of a Roman soldier was so widely known, it caused Epiphanius to write that "ben Pandera" was actually a nickname for Jacob, Joseph's father.

One version of the tale has Yeshu ben Panthera living and dying 60 to 70 years before the traditional time given to Jesus of Nazareth.

OK, but much of the Bible is simply accepted as fact (truth?) by the ‘faithful’, which was my only point. I’m not making any claims as to the reality (truth?) of any Biblical stories, claims or historical accounts.

Not according to the (NT) Bible.
The story dealing with the parentage of Jesus does show reasons that the Jewish faith doesn't accept Jesus as the messiah... since the 'root of Jesse' goes through the biological father line, in an unbroken male to male parentage.

That is true but it still does not change the truth of God's Word, which is perfectly inspired from God...

But imperfectly understood by imperfect beings.

When you pray to Him, what image of the being is in your mind?

Is it this?

View attachment 67391614

This is a painting by Warner Sallman (1940) and is seen by many as the best portrait of Jesus. Millions of copies have been distributed around the world since the end of WWII.

Do you think He really looked like this?
Like most middle eastern men from Judea or the surrounding countries back then, he did not look western at all.

main-qimg-8c0ed68e027c5560ba4e051ceb7f6f44-lq

Men didn't part their hair back then and mullets would have been a bit of a stretch for JESUS. I would imagine JESUS to have possibly dark curly/wavy hair and a beard (we know that the Roman guards had some sport pulling it out). “I gave My back to those who struck Me, And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard…” —Isaiah 50:6b

So Jesus is actually Obi Wan Kenobi? Who knew Jesus was a space wizard? 😄
(y)

I'm glad someone got it. I was going to quote the poster who replied to me before you and say "that is why you fail" ;). Then I figured if he didn't know who Obi Wan was, he's not going to get the quote anyway. He replied in good faith, I didn't want to joke around like that.

(y)

I'm glad someone got it. I was going to quote the poster who replied to me before you and say "that is why you fail" ;). Then I figured if he didn't know who Obi Wan was, he's not going to get the quote anyway. He replied in good faith, I didn't want to joke around like that.
Qui Gon might make a better Space Jesus: he had a beard, white robes, seemed himble, died, and came back as a Force Ghost.

What did Jesus look like?

Little eight year old art prodigy Akiane reported she had a visitation with Jesus and painted him as she remembered. There's an even better photo of this in the link below. She obviously has a great gift from God.

Akiane Jesus Full Size.jpg

From her website:

What did Jesus look like?

Little eight year old art prodigy Akiane reported she had a visitation with Jesus and painted him as she remembered. There's an even better photo of this in the link below. She obviously has a great gift from God.

View attachment 67402053

From her website:

What a cute little con artist.

(y)

Good thing you didn't post an image of Darth. I mean after the cosmetic surgery department was done with him.:)

A Romanesque Jew, probably some features inherited from his Father and some from his Mother, though I have never seen any point or reason to pray to him or any other dead person.
Reasoned and rational self initiated action/reaction has always made more sense, as well as much more beneficially productive, to me than speaking to an invisible non-existent entity or an existing government representative, for that matter.

LOL Romanesque Jew ? BS- he was a Semitic, Middle Eastern Jew. He looked Arab.

I
The girl makes more sense than you do.
I suppose adult level discussion too much for you. Your responses are certainly more at a child's level.

Back
Top Bottom