• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What departments would you keep?

Bigfoot 88

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This is always an interesting discussion for Presidential candidates. Most Republicans name off the Energy and Education departments from the Carter administration as two they would eliminate.

I think the more important question is what departments we should keep. There are currently 15 of them.

The best way to determine that in my view is to see where the enumerated powers would best fit. (There are actually at least thirty enumerated powers, by the way, as not all are included within Article 1, Section 8.) I've concluded that we should keep the Defense, State, Treasury, Justice, and Interior departments. It is all hypothetical of course and a transition would probably take a long time.

Here is how I would divide the enumerated powers (excluding the "bookends"; the preamble and necessary & proper clause) and among the departments:

Defense
:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
To provide and maintain a Navy;
To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

State
:
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water; (This overlaps with Defense)

Justice: Will handle all domestic regulatory authority, including enforcing prohibitions on the states
To regulate Commerce...among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
To establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;
To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;
To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court; (Note: this is for categorical purposes, as this really falls under the Judicial branch)

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records, and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof;
The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.;
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted;
The Congress may determine the Time of choosing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States;
No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it’s inspection Laws

Treasury:
To borrow on the credit of the United States;
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin;
and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States;

Interior: (The miscellaneous department)
To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;
To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;
Fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

____

What departments would you keep?

1) Department of Defense - Keep it.

2) Department of Justice - Keep it.

3) Department of State - I could see the argument for it be absorbed elsewhere, like with DOD.

4) Department of Agriculture - Could partner up with Interior.

5) Department of Transportation - Keep it.

6) Department of Interior - Could partner up with Agriculture.

7) Department of Energy - Keep it.

8) Department of Commerce - If DOT stays, then Commerce becomes part of Treasury.

9) Department of Education - Yes, but not absent some well-deserved reforms.

10) Department of Labor - Could probably be absorbed by DOJ.

11) Department of Housing & Urban Development - I think this & #12 could become one.

12) Department of Health & Human Services - I think this & #11 could become one.

13) Department of Treasury - I could see the argument for it being absorbed by DOJ.

14) Department of Veteran's Affairs - I think keeping veteran's affairs in-house would be more beneficial, so yes, I would eliminate it.

15) Department of Homeland Security - I'd see if it could be eliminated without jeopardizing our safety, with the splintered agencies being absorbed by DOJ or DOD.

The 15 departments of the US executive branch (the cabinet) are :

Department of Agriculture
Keep, but dump the subsidies.

Department of Commerce
Keep. Regulating interstate commerce is a function of the federal government.
Department of Defense
keep

Department of Education

dump. Education is a function of the states, not the feds.

Department of Energy

dump

Department of Health and Human Services

keep, but let's examine some of those "human services" and how necessary they are.

Department of Homeland Security
dump.

Department of Housing and Urban Development
dump

Department of the Interior
Keep. This one runs the national parks
Department of Justice
keep

Department of Labor
?? not sure.

Department of State

keep
Department of Transportation

keep, and let's do something about that infrastructure

Department of the Treasury
keep

Department of Veterans Affairs
keep, but let's change some personnel there.

My mind could be changed on some of these. What do the rest of you think?

The 15 departments of the US executive branch (the cabinet) are :

Department of Agriculture
Keep, but dump the subsidies.

Department of Commerce
Keep. Regulating interstate commerce is a function of the federal government.
Department of Defense
keep

Department of Education

dump. Education is a function of the states, not the feds.

Department of Energy

dump

Department of Health and Human Services

keep, but let's examine some of those "human services" and how necessary they are.

Department of Homeland Security
dump.

Department of Housing and Urban Development
dump

Department of the Interior
Keep. This one runs the national parks
Department of Justice
keep

Department of Labor
?? not sure.

Department of State

keep
Department of Transportation

keep, and let's do something about that infrastructure

Department of the Treasury
keep

Department of Veterans Affairs
keep, but let's change some personnel there.

My mind could be changed on some of these. What do the rest of you think?

I think i agree in all. You should run for congress

maybe I will.

I could use a good vacation.

Only 114 days scheduled by Cantor this year--remember Eric of blank sheet of paper for the 2014 agenda? He hit his target. And those Repubics complain about you teachers .

The OP should go back to the Nixon administration for domestic expansion instead of incorrectly bashing Carter, who not so coincidentally is a Democrat. Even the best intentions get lost in political blame Bigfoot .

The OP should go back to the Nixon administration for domestic expansion instead of incorrectly bashing Carter, who not so coincidentally is a Democrat. Even the best intentions get lost in political blame Bigfoot .

The post isn't about Carter, I mentioned him coincidentally. He did sign those two departments into law, and those are the ones Republicans mainly focus on.

I certainly have issues with Nixon. Perhaps more than I have with Carter.

I would keep defense, state, treasury and justice. Any of the other federal government functions that are worth keeping could be moved to the states.

Back
Top Bottom