• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What defines an antique firearms? Should it be legal to import relics from overseas?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is a pontification I have been having as of late. I am not really a fire arms collector right now because I do not have the money. I do have a strong desire to collect World War I era and World War II era firearms. Do these qualify as, in your personal opinion, antique firearms? In my mind they definitely do and they are an important part of history and I would love to add some to my collection. My personal favorite is the Lee Enfield for the historical significance of this particular firearm and theaters from Afghanistan to the jungle combat to the Western front.

So how do you feel about this? Should I be able to purchase these firearms as a collector from overseas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What defines an antique firearms? Should it be legal to import relics from overse

I would prefer that everyone own one of these, myself.

newlandmusket1.jpg

Back in colonial times we had sensible gun laws and ordinary people owned guns that had to be reloaded on each shot and they couldn't own guns that could fire several bullets a second. And we defeated the British army, but we need assault weapons because we have to "protect freedumb!". :lamo

Re: What defines an antique firearms? Should it be legal to import relics from overse

newlandmusket1.jpg

Back in colonial times we had sensible gun laws and ordinary people owned guns that had to be reloaded on each shot and they couldn't own guns that could fire several bullets a second. And we defeated the British army, but we need assault weapons because we have to "protect freedumb!". :lamo

Of course, there were no guns which could fire several bullets a second. The technology simply didn't exist.

This is a pontification I have been having as of late. I am not really a fire arms collector right now because I do not have the money. I do have a strong desire to collect World War I era and World War II era firearms. Do these qualify as, in your personal opinion, antique firearms? In my mind they definitely do and they are an important part of history and I would love to add some to my collection. My personal favorite is the Lee Enfield for the historical significance of this particular firearm and theaters from Afghanistan to the jungle combat to the Western front.

So how do you feel about this? Should I be able to purchase these firearms as a collector from overseas?

I'm not sure if I would call ww1 and ww2 guns antique. The only antique gun I own is a winchester model 1873.

Antique is antique, but do you mean antique in the literal sense or antique in the batfe sense? For most laws, antique firearms go by the batfe standard of breach or muzzle loading firearms that have the powder,bullet, and primer seperate. It also requires the gun be made before a certain date, or be a replica of a gun made before a certain date. These also do not fall under federal firearms laws even though some states may include them.

For just simple collection, I would say most ww1 and prior firearms, Since then there were alot of rare and unique firearms made that later got phased out with more standard layouts taking over.

newlandmusket1.jpg

Ahhh the ignorance.

Of course, there were no guns which could fire several bullets a second. The technology simply didn't exist.

Not several bullets a second, but they had repeating firearms that could fire as fast as the wheel was rotated, and had dual 7 round magazines, yes literally had magazines, and one rotation loaded powder, ball, and priming powder and moved the hammer and flashpan eliminating multiple tasks.

They were used in europe almost a century prior to the revolution, even for military, but ended up losing to the musket, which you could make like 10 of for the cost of one repeater.

Antique is generally accepted to mean 100 years old, or more.

Not several bullets a second, but they had repeating firearms that could fire as fast as the wheel was rotated, and had dual 7 round magazines, yes literally had magazines, and one rotation loaded powder, ball, and priming powder and moved the hammer and flashpan eliminating multiple tasks.

They were used in europe almost a century prior to the revolution, even for military, but ended up losing to the musket, which you could make like 10 of for the cost of one repeater.

Yeah, but those were hardly common or in the hands of civillians.

newlandmusket1.jpg

Progress is not the enemy of man and necessity of the mother invention.

I'm not sure if I would call ww1 and ww2 guns antique. The only antique gun I own is a winchester model 1873.

Well that is the thing. They are only going to get harder to find. Why wouldn't they be antique?

newlandmusket1.jpg

you are, as usual when it comes to gun issues-posting stuff that is wrong

1) there were no federal gun control laws after the British monarchy was overthrown

2) state gun laws were limited and yes, more sensible than the crap that exists now

3) there were firearms that could shoot 63 rounds in a few minutes back then.

WTF is an "assault weapon"

do you gun banners understand that the term "assault" as applied to rifles doesn't mean "assault and battery" no matter how sinister Bannite politicians try to make it sound?

Well that is the thing. They are only going to get harder to find. Why wouldn't they be antique?

Because a lot of them are still in production and/or there were tens of millions of them produced, like your lee enfield

Face Palm.jpg

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...arms-ammunition-gun-control-act-definitions-0

The term “Antique Firearm” means:

A. Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898

I say buy them anyway. They can be very expensive dependent upon how many were made and how many are left.

Because a lot of them are still in production and/or there were tens of millions of them produced, like your lee enfield

Still in production? No no no. I'm talking about something that was used in that time frame. Something that is actually from the factory back in the 1940s. Not today.

I am asking if it should be legal. Can you please give me a good reason to ban the purchase and importation of first and Second World War arms?

no FIREARM should be banned or subjected to the 1934 NFA idiocy. all firearms should be treated the same as single shot 22 caliber target rifles in say the state of Ohio

I am asking if it should be legal. Can you please give me a good reason to ban the purchase and importation of first and Second World War arms?

I all depends on your state laws are. As much as I'd like to, you can't have a BAR in California.

Nice statue.

Sure it is. It says that you only missed the point by a country mile.

I all depends on your state laws are. As much as I'd like to, you can't have a BAR in California.

I thought you are on record wanting to ban such rifles since they take 20 round magazines and fire full auto

Yeah, but those were hardly common or in the hands of civillians.

Well they were in the hands of civilians, but no they were not common, cost was the issue. If you could build 10 or 20 muskets to one lorenzoni repeater, and you have to arm a couple hundred thousand soldiers, the choice is obvious.

Most who got repeaters were officers, royal guards, and civilians who could afford them.

Well they were in the hands of civilians, but no they were not common, cost was the issue. If you could build 10 or 20 muskets to one lorenzoni repeater, and you have to arm a couple hundred thousand soldiers, the choice is obvious.

Most who got repeaters were officers, royal guards, and civilians who could afford them.

But seeing as they weren't especially common that means they aren't really relevant---it's like debates on banning .50 caliber sniper rifles. Very fee civilians have one, so people aren't going to focus on banning them

Yes you should be able to purchase those firearms regardless if they are antiques or not antiques.

Back
Top Bottom