• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What defines an antique firearms? Should it be legal to import relics from overseas?

Re: What defines an antique firearms? Should it be legal to import relics from overse

I would prefer that everyone own one of these, myself.

newlandmusket1.jpg

Back in colonial times we had sensible gun laws and ordinary people owned guns that had to be reloaded on each shot and they couldn't own guns that could fire several bullets a second. And we defeated the British army, but we need assault weapons because we have to "protect freedumb!". :lamo

The gun laws weren't the reason for owning guns that had to be reloaded between shots. Technology was.

(That is in fact the reason that if someone claims that the original intent was that there be no limitation on gun ownership, that person is either lying or ignorant. There simply wasn't any original intent about the vast array of weaponry now available; most of it would have been considered witchcraft at the time of the founding).

Re: What defines an antique firearms? Should it be legal to import relics from overse

I'm not sure if I would call ww1 and ww2 guns antique. The only antique gun I own is a winchester model 1873.

I'd hope not.

Do we want the Crips and Bloods fighting it out with mounted machine guns, primitive tanks, V2 rockets, etc?

The gun laws weren't the reason for owning guns that had to be reloaded between shots. Technology was.

(That is in fact the reason that if someone claims that the original intent was that there be no limitation on gun ownership, that person is either lying or ignorant. There simply wasn't any original intent about the vast array of weaponry now available; most of it would have been considered witchcraft at the time of the founding).

anyone who saw a firearm that could fire more than one shot (they existed back then) could easily conceive of one shooting the second or third shot more rapidly. Just Like anyone who watched the Indy 500 100 years ago could conceive cars going 150, 200, 250 MPH

hand held firearms really aren't all that much different.. its still powder being ignited to drive a projectile. something like a machine gun or a semi auto rifle was something arms designers could have predicted.

satellite communications, faxes, the internet-not so much

As I understand it, what is considered a "curio & relic" is any gun made BEFORE 1945. I do not believe the definition has changed since I was looking into getting my C&R license back in the 90's.

BEFORE 1945....as far as I know, that is the definition the feds use.

PS...I have a line on an Australian LITHGOW Mk3 made during WW2. My son has a bunch of stripper clips, and I have a Wilkinson long bayonet with leather sheath for one if you like.

.303 ammo is pretty scarce though, so if you only want to look at it, that will be fine.

However, if you would like to shoot one, then reloading is the best way to do it.

That was the solution for my Krag carbine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom