• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What country is this again???

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is there no end to government intrusion into our lives?

A young mother in Maine is being threatened by the Department of Health and Human Services to have her infant child taken away and put into foster care. Her crime? Feeding him goat’s milk instead of commercial infant formula.

Alorah Gellerson was not able to breast feed her child, so she developed a formula of goat’s milk that included celery juice, and reports that the child loved it, and “grew like a weed.”

The young mother made a huge mistake, however. She told her pediatrician about the formula. The doctor turned her in to the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), which resulted in home visits, an overnight stay in the hospital, a directive to buy “approved” commercial infant formula (most of which contain GMOs and soy) and threats to remove the baby and place him into foster care.

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/st...ats-milk-instead-of-approved-gmo-soy-formula/

'Murica.

2d3g.jpg

The story sounds like BS to me. A physician will report in if the health of the child is in danger.

There was probably a whole lot more here than is being reported.

Is there no end to government intrusion into our lives?

A young mother in Maine is being threatened by the Department of Health and Human Services to have her infant child taken away and put into foster care. Her crime? Feeding him goat’s milk instead of commercial infant formula.

Alorah Gellerson was not able to breast feed her child, so she developed a formula of goat’s milk that included celery juice, and reports that the child loved it, and “grew like a weed.”

The young mother made a huge mistake, however. She told her pediatrician about the formula. The doctor turned her in to the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), which resulted in home visits, an overnight stay in the hospital, a directive to buy “approved” commercial infant formula (most of which contain GMOs and soy) and threats to remove the baby and place him into foster care.

State Threatens To Seize Infant Who was Fed Goat

GMOs are not dangerous! It's hard to take somebody seriously when they imply otherwise.

The story sounds like BS to me. A physician will report in if the health of the child is in danger.

Click the link and read the entire story, see if you can find some other "crime" this mother has committed that would warrant the DHHS involvement and threats. Also:

The Panel notes that the goat milk formula administered in this study complied with the compositional criteria of Directive 2006/141/EC. Follow-up until 12 months showed similar growth patterns in both formula groups. The growth pattern of formula-fed infants differed, as expected, from that of the WHO growth standard in particular with respect to weight-for-length. The biochemical parameters reflected what is known about the difference between formula and human milk feeding. The Panel considers that the study provides sufficient evidence to conclude that goat milk can be a suitable source of protein for use in infant and follow-on formulae.

http://www.dairyreporter.com/Regula...in-gets-EFSA-all-clear-for-infant-formula-use

GMOs are not dangerous! It's hard to take somebody seriously when they imply otherwise.

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn’t think so. The Academy reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers

Great cover for supporting the huge nanny state that can pounce on someone for finding an alternative nutrition formula for their child. The gov't acted so they must be right. :roll:

Great cover for supporting the huge nanny state that can pounce on someone for finding an alternative nutrition formula for their child. The gov't acted so they must be right. :roll:

Right. You would think that the nanny state would approve of nanny goat milk.

Oh Jesus H. Christ. I can't freaking believe what I am seeing anymore. Goat's milk was once considered superior to other substitute infant formulas, as it's easier on digestion, and made a great alternative to cow's milk formulas. It also happens to be relatively expensive. I really wish that those who are in the business of trying to tell people how to raise their children would take on causes that are worthwhile, rather than sticking their noses into family matters which hurt absolutely nothing.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but there is so much government intrusion going on today that this story not only sounds possible, but likely.

Why are they so worried about the baby if global warming is going to kill us all anyway?

Well, Guy Incognito says they're not dangerous and the government says that you will feed them to your children.

How is a free people to argue with that?

Why are they so worried about the baby if global warming is going to kill us all anyway?

They're not worried about the baby. Who said this had anything to do with that?

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn’t think so. The Academy reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.

Institute for Responsible Technology - GMO Dangers

Those guys aren't a recognized medical board. They're just a gaggle of unaccredited hippies.

Well, Guy Incognito says they're not dangerous and the government says that you will feed them to your children.

How is a free people to argue with that?
Guy incognito says it but more importantly so does SCIENCE.

If the department of health didn't respond to the doctor's report, and the kid was harmed, the tea party knownothings would be saying, see, Big Gummit can't even protect babies.

A totally incoherent ideology.

In any case, this is a medical issue: if goat's milk is OK to feed to babies, then she should be left alone. If it's not, then Maine should intervene to protect the kid. It appears the issue is up in the air. I would note that according to the USDA, goat milk is not recommended for infants because it contains inadequate quantities of certain vitamins. But I suspect that's not dispositive. The state should consult a panel of doctors to make a recommendation one way or another.

If anything the SCIENTIFIC jury is still out.

No, that is nonsense.

Got some news for you, you may want to sit down. All the food you have ever eaten has been genetically modified. All food every eaten in the history of mankind has been genetically modified. By a little process called evolution.

If the department of health didn't respond to the doctor's report, and the kid was harmed, the tea party knownothings would be saying, see, Big Gummit can't even protect babies.

A totally incoherent ideology.

In any case, this is a medical issue: if goat's milk is OK to feed to babies, then she should be left alone. If it's not, then Maine should intervene to protect the kid. It appears the issue is up in the air. I would note that according to the USDA, goat milk is not recommended for infants because it contains inadequate quantities of certain vitamins. But I suspect that's not dispositive. The state should consult a panel of doctors to make a recommendation one way or another.

My guess is the real complaint was about raw milk (goat or otherwise), which is not good for people in general, and definitely not babies.

But I'm sure there is a whole lot more to this story. The state wont publicly say why they did this (its an inappropriate beach of privacy) and the family has its part of the story its telling the paper.

My guess is the real complaint was about raw milk (goat or otherwise), which is not good for people in general, and definitely not babies.

But I'm sure there is a whole lot more to this story. The state wont publicly say why they did this (its an inappropriate beach of privacy) and the family has its part of the story its telling the paper.

Good point. Raw milk can spread tuberculosis. It really shouldn't be given to babies. So now this has become grist for the anti-Big Gummit mill. Sad.

Those guys aren't a recognized medical board. They're just a gaggle of unaccredited hippies.

These guys aren't hippies.

The Panel notes that the goat milk formula administered in this study complied with the compositional criteria of Directive 2006/141/EC. Follow-up until 12 months showed similar growth patterns in both formula groups. The growth pattern of formula-fed infants differed, as expected, from that of the WHO growth standard in particular with respect to weight-for-length. The biochemical parameters reflected what is known about the difference between formula and human milk feeding. The Panel considers that the study provides sufficient evidence to conclude that goat milk can be a suitable source of protein for use in infant and follow-on formulae.

http://www.dairyreporter.com/Regulat...nt-formula-use

These people aren't hippies either.

Recommendations for the use of breast-milk substitutes
• Mothers/caregivers should be taught about safe preparation of the breast-milk substitute
• Possible breast-milk substitutes include: commercial infant formula, liquid animal milk (cow or goat), powdered animal milk, evaporated milk
• All other milks are unsuitable for small infants

THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

http://www.who.int/hac/crises/inter...on_guidelines_for_breast_milk_substitutes.pdf

These people aren't hippies either.

Recommendations for the use of breast-milk substitutes
• Mothers/caregivers should be taught about safe preparation of the breast-milk substitute
• Possible breast-milk substitutes include: commercial infant formula, liquid animal milk (cow or goat), powdered animal milk, evaporated milk
• All other milks are unsuitable for small infants

THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

http://www.who.int/hac/crises/inter...on_guidelines_for_breast_milk_substitutes.pdf

I love it when conservatives pretend to think highly of the UN, when it's convenient for their argument.

Meanwhile, there are two parties here: the mother and the child. Mothers can't just do anything they want with their kids. Government has a role in protecting children from negligent or reckless mothers. Whether it is negligent to feed a baby unpasteurized goat milk, I have no idea. Obviously the baby's doctor thought so. It's a ultimately a medical question, not an issue about the Big Gummit Bogeyman.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but there is so much government intrusion going on today that this story not only sounds possible, but likely.
we ain't seen nuthin' yet! wait till Osamacare fully implements

Back
Top Bottom