• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What country is this again???

The real story here is that there has got to be something wrong with any baby that likes celery.

I love it when conservatives pretend to think highly of the UN, when it's convenient for their argument.

Meanwhile, there are two parties here: the mother and the child. Mothers can't just do anything they want with their kids. Government has a role in protecting children from negligent or reckless mothers. Whether it is negligent to feed a baby unpasteurized goat milk, I have no idea. Obviously the baby's doctor thought so. It's a ultimately a medical question, not an issue about the Big Gummit Bogeyman.

Why do you think I'm a conservative? Anyway, there are lots of countries that goats are the main stock, and children have been raised on goats milk for centuries, maybe millennia. I've posted several examples and studies that goats milk is acceptable. And if the governments really worried about children's health and diet we'd have no fast food or coke or fruit loops or snickers bars. This really is for parents to decide what to feed their children. It's worked fine throughout human history. There's also doctors who recommend goats milk to mothers who's children have sensitive stomachs. There's far from a consensus that goats milk is inferior. Oh, and the foster care program, hahahahahahahahahaha, I'd sooner let a child stay with its mother.

These people aren't hippies either.

Recommendations for the use of breast-milk substitutes
• Mothers/caregivers should be taught about safe preparation of the breast-milk substitute
• Possible breast-milk substitutes include: commercial infant formula, liquid animal milk (cow or goat), powdered animal milk, evaporated milk
• All other milks are unsuitable for small infants

THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

http://www.who.int/hac/crises/inter...on_guidelines_for_breast_milk_substitutes.pdf
I never said there is anything wrong with goats milk. But there is NOTHING WONG WITH GMOs, either. Only ignorant hippies think GMOs are unsafe.

These people aren't hippies either.

Recommendations for the use of breast-milk substitutes
• Mothers/caregivers should be taught about safe preparation of the breast-milk substitute
• Possible breast-milk substitutes include: commercial infant formula, liquid animal milk (cow or goat), powdered animal milk, evaporated milk
• All other milks are unsuitable for small infants

THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

http://www.who.int/hac/crises/inter...on_guidelines_for_breast_milk_substitutes.pdf

Monte!!! I see you've been busy. Your post count is high for just joining. Good work.

I tell you what though, I'll leave this one alone since we hashed this one to death a year ago on the other board, and although we parted friends as usual afterwards, there's no way in hell we'll agree on this. :wink2:

Glad you found this board. Seriously. Glad you're here.

Monte!!! I see you've been busy. Your post count is high for just joining. Good work.

I tell you what though, I'll leave this one alone since we hashed this one to death a year ago on the other board, and although we parted friends as usual afterwards, there's no way in hell we'll agree on this. :wink2:

Glad you found this board. Seriously. Glad you're here.

We did!?!? I don't recall participating in any debate about the merits of goat milk, really! Thanks again for the welcome Beau.

We did!?!? I don't recall participating in any debate about the merits of goat milk, really! Thanks again for the welcome Beau.

GMO's...

And I hate goat milk, but if I'm thirsty enough I could drink dang near anything i guess. I've consumed some things in my military career when deployed that I have done my best forget. Goat's milk is one of them.

And you're welcome bud.

I never said there is anything wrong with goats milk. But there is NOTHING WONG WITH GMOs, either. Only ignorant hippies think GMOs are unsafe.

Oh, ok Guy, that's cool. Ill take up GMO's on another thread then sometime. Clearly this mother was using goats milk because SHE feels that GMO's (and she probably knows not all GMO's) are problematic. But.........THAT is not THEE point of the op. The point of the op is to question whether or not the government should be this intrusive in such basic, intimate and personal aspects of our lives. And worse to threaten to remove children to a far worse situation, foster care, because a doctor disagrees with the World Health Organization and other scientific panels who have determined goats milk an acceptable alternative to cows milk, etc. and I'm voicing my opinion, NO, I don't want government involved with this caring mother who is obviously paying attention. The DHHS drops the ball all the time failing to intervene where actual child abuse is occurring.

Last edited:
Oh, ok Guy, that's cool. Ill take up GMO's on another thread then sometime. Clearly this mother was using goats milk because SHE feels that GMO's (and she probably knows not all GMO's) are problematic. But.........THAT is not THEE point of the op. The point of the op is to question whether or not the government should be this intrusive in such basic, intimate and personal aspects of our lives. And worse to threaten to remove children to a far worse situation, foster care, because a doctor disagrees with the World Health Organization and other scientific panels who have determined goats milk an acceptable alternative to cows milk, etc. and I'm voicing my opinion, NO, I don't want government involved with this caring mother who is obviously paying attention. The DHHS drops the ball all the time failing to intervene where actual child abuse is occurring.
Ok, I can agree with that.

Yet no one knows the real story, because the true reason why the child was threatened is not necessarily known. This is a one sided story, the physician isn't (and cannot, per law) saying, and the state doesn't seem to be describing the whole story.

Common sense, people! The pediatrician obviously saw a risk to the child.

Yet no one knows the real story, because the true reason why the child was threatened is not necessarily known. This is a one sided story, the physician isn't (and cannot, per law) saying, and the state doesn't seem to be describing the whole story.

But was the gov't action taken after due process of law or simply as a knee jerk reaction to a report of possible harm?

GMO's...

And I hate goat milk, but if I'm thirsty enough I could drink dang near anything i guess. I've consumed some things in my military career when deployed that I have done my best forget. Goat's milk is one of them.

And you're welcome bud.

Oh, yes of course. We did hash that out over there. Unfortunately though, this thread wasn't about GMO, although it was mentioned as a side note in the op. then another poster zeroed in on it which is fine, you know we'll enough yourself how a thread can evolve.

Now your making an assumption. Remember, pediatricians, like everyone else, come from a cross section of humanity. There are conservative pediatricians, there are liberal pediatricians, there are libertarian pediatricians, there are Christian pediatricians and atheist pediatricians, there are pediatricians that graduated at the top of the class and pediatricians that graduated at the bottom. And finally physicians like lawyers are practicing! Ask ten lawyers the same legal question and see if you get ten equal answers. Same goes for doctors, why do you think people often get multiple OPINIONS?!

Don't like the op link, try this one on, and take note that there are NO other complaints From DHHS other than the mother is feeding her son goats milk, even though there IS NO CONSENSUS that goats milk is inferior. Government intrusion into people's private business where IT DOES NOT BELONG!!!

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/fea...s/mom-gives-baby-goat-milk-formula-1587.shtml

due process of law
Sadly DES can make stuff up as they go along without ever involving the judiciary.
If you ever needed to see an example of an out of control government government bureaucracy
DES is the poster child for just that, the state kidnapping your kid without due process.

The story sounds like BS to me. A physician will report in if the health of the child is in danger.

There was probably a whole lot more here than is being reported.

I totally agree.

Don't like the op link, try this one on, and take note that there are NO other complaints From DHHS other than the mother is feeding her son goats milk, even though there IS NO CONSENSUS that goats milk is inferior. Government intrusion into people's private business where IT DOES NOT BELONG!!!

Mom gives baby goat milk formula - WOAI News 4 San Antonio - Top Stories

Note that there is NO STATEMENT FROM THE PHYSICIAN OR THE STATE ON THIS STORY. Its what the woman is alleging. And its probably not even close to the whole truth.

I really hate when people base their opinions on bull**** information, and this stinks of BS to high heaven.

Why do you think I'm a conservative? Anyway, there are lots of countries that goats are the main stock, and children have been raised on goats milk for centuries, maybe millennia. I've posted several examples and studies that goats milk is acceptable. And if the governments really worried about children's health and diet we'd have no fast food or coke or fruit loops or snickers bars. This really is for parents to decide what to feed their children. It's worked fine throughout human history. There's also doctors who recommend goats milk to mothers who's children have sensitive stomachs. There's far from a consensus that goats milk is inferior. Oh, and the foster care program, hahahahahahahahahaha, I'd sooner let a child stay with its mother.

All the earmarks of junk science and hatred of Big Gummit doing its job protecting kids.

Meanwhile, the fact that people have fed goat milk to kids in the past has nothing to do with modern medical data on the subject.

That's another reason I think you're a conservative: you use anecdote instead of data.

All the earmarks of junk science and hatred of Big Gummit doing its job protecting kids.

Meanwhile, the fact that people have fed goat milk to kids in the past has nothing to do with modern medical data on the subject.

That's another reason I think you're a conservative: you use anecdote instead of data.

The bolded, of course, is not included in this "factual" post, which includes absolutely no data at all. You are not nearly as clever as you think that you are. A quick search of "medical data on goat milk" reveals only Geogia's WIC program not paying for goat's milk prior to children passing age 11 months.

Cow’s milk and milk substitutes (e.g., soy milk, goat milk, tofu, cheese) cannot be issued to infants (ages birth – 11 months) by the Georgia WIC Program, even with a prescription.

http://wic.ga.gov/pdfs/wic/GA WIC Referral Form 2 Revised 2011.pdf

The bolded, of course, is not included in this "factual" post, which includes absolutely no data at all. You are not nearly as clever as you think that you are. A quick search of "medical data on goat milk" reveals only Geogia's WIC program not paying for goat's milk prior to children passing age 11 months.

http://wic.ga.gov/pdfs/wic/GA WIC Referral Form 2 Revised 2011.pdf

I'll stick with what the kid's doctor says. And as Threegoofs indicated, I suspect the real issue is the milk isn't pasteurized, which is one of those anti-science fetishes of certain types.

In any case, we don't have the information since it hasn't been released by the agency since it respects the privacy rights of those taking benefits. At this point, it's just the mother saying stuff about Big Gummit.

But this really isn't about goat milk, it's about the idea that government doesn't have a duty to protect kids from the negligent behavior of their parents. The negligence hasn't been established, but the tea party types would allow parents to mistreat kids all they want, always finding an excuse to fuel their hatred of democratic rational government.

And I am as clever as I think. More so. I'm subconsciously holding back so that conservative can try to keep up.

Last edited:
I'll stick with what the kid's doctor says. And as Threegoofs indicated, I suspect the real issue is the milk isn't pasteurized, which is one of those anti-science fetishes of certain types.

In any case, we don't have the information since it hasn't been released. Just the mother saying stuff about Big Gummit.

And I am as clever as I think. More so.

You can suspect whatever you wish, but that still has ZERO to do with "modern medical data on goat milk". Spewing what you believe to be "official sounding" nonsense is not clever, it is foolsih. ;)

You can suspect whatever you wish, but that still has ZERO to do with "modern medical data on goat milk". Spewing what you believe to be "official sounding" nonsense is not clever, it is foolsih. ;)

The issue is raw milk. If you understand medicine and nutrition, thats obvious.

And that's just what we know of. Usually, wackadoodle moms who refuse to listen to medical science on one issue have a whole lot more pathology underneath. I can tell you this from experience, having reported more than one mom to DCFS in my time, all with good reason.

The issue is raw milk. If you understand medicine and nutrition, thats obvious.

And that's just what we know of. Usually, wackadoodle moms who refuse to listen to medical science on one issue have a whole lot more pathology underneath. I can tell you this from experience, having reported more than one mom to DCFS in my time, all with good reason.

Now we get down to the brass tacks!

Back
Top Bottom