• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What could stop the pending Disney marriage to Fox (antitrust-related)?

Kadmos1

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I guess Rupert Murdoch and Bob Iger must be ignorant of some of the history with Fox News namesake and film producer William Fox. Let's not forget when Mr. Fox tried buying Loew's Theatres in 1929, that was part of media downfall. If the Brazilian government branch that deals with antitrust cases is smart, they would say "No way! Disney owns too much! We have unanimously agreed that your purchase cannot be done at least here".

Correct if I am wrong, but if even if Brazil says "yes", would the entire planned buy-out be canceled if a minor foreign regulator (country where Disney and Fox have smaller markets) says "no"?

I know it is foolish hope, but please give me something that could cancel the entire deal. Possible things that could stop the marriage from going through could be that it was revealed that Disney did some bribery with the USDOJ and those foreign regulators. Perhaps there is some monopoly statute in the Constitution the USDOJ overlooked that Disney violated.

Some more about the issue: hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-gets-china-approval-fox-acquisition-1162571
From 11/21/2018: seekingalpha.com/news/3411712-mlex-disney-fox-get-brazil-deal-ok-two-weeks

Surely, something could stop this buy-out from going through.

What's the concern, no more brown princesses? There'll still be brown princesses. They'll just have stripper names.

What's the concern, no more brown princesses? There'll still be brown princesses. They'll just have stripper names.

Has that already been released on DVD?

*sigh*

Of course....I dont think we can get "Disney girls gone wild" over here.

Sometimes if you watch beside the wiggly line, you see a boob.

They already own one Tee Vee network. Now two of the big four? Doubt it will ever fly.

They already own one Tee Vee network. Now two of the big four? Doubt it will ever fly.

Disney won't be aquiring Fox Broadcasting Co., Fox Sports, Fox News or Fox Television Stations.

My concern is that Disney owns too many companies already. The major American movie companies are Disney, Fox, Universal, Paramount, Warner Brothers, and Sony/Columbia. That buy-out means that we will have only 5 major Amer. movie companies left.

Back
Top Bottom