• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Constitutes a Minimum Living Standard in the US

Which brings us around to what I was asking initially. What constitutes a basic standard of living in 2021?? Without that answer, we can't realistically address any other nuances. For example, do I think everybody needs a personal computer and a small cell phone as part of a basic standard of living today?? Yes, I do. But I don't think anybody needs computer games. Wants, maybe, but doesn't need. IF all you give an individual is basic necessities, he or she will strive for more. That is human nature. And in terms of your "cut off" point, there doesn't have to be with providing only basic necessities but not money. If a person strives for more, there will be a grace period before he or she is reassessed. I'd give it two years. Thanks!!

That would be much easier to accomplish using currency, rather than goods/services. With housing it is less expensive to buy a given housing unit than to rent it and one could use any additional income to improve/expand it. The same is true of transportation, one could add funds to upgrade from a Prius to an F-150 or Yukon (adding capability to haul cargo and/or tow a trailer).

I am now confused by your mention of being “reassessed” - that seems to imply means testing as opposed to a UBI.

That would be much easier to accomplish using currency, rather than goods/services. With housing it is less expensive to buy a given housing unit than to rent it and one could use any additional income to improve/expand it. The same is true of transportation, one could add funds to upgrade from a Prius to an F-150 or Yukon (adding capability to haul cargo and/or tow a trailer).

I am now confused by your mention of being “reassessed” - that seems to imply means testing as opposed to a UBI.

Basic need - if it is to be addressed in terms of support - has to be assessed and reassessed on a regular basis, even if that basis in every two years. Thanks!!

Basic need - if it is to be addressed in terms of support - has to be assessed and reassessed on a regular basis, even if that basis in every two years. Thanks!!

What you are leaving out is (re)assessed based on what? Are these “support” subsidies means test based on other (household?) income? Obviously, household size (or other income) could change much more often than every two years.

What you are leaving out is (re)assessed based on what? Are these “support” subsidies means test based on other (household?) income? Obviously, household size (or other income) could change much more often than every two years.
First and foremost, we have to establish what basic needs are. After we do that, we can translate those needs into services and goods. There is no currency income unless that person or persons are part of an employment opportunity that can augment their needs. And if there's a change in their household, it can be addressed immediately without relying on reassessment dates. There is no need to factor in currency income during a grace period of say, two years, which allows people to build an income and savings without fear of losing their qualifications. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom