• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Common Food Have You Never Eaten?

I hate coffee as well, cant have anyting with even a hint of coffee in it or I gag.
Except coffee crisps for some reason I like them :shrug:

Never had coffee crisps - but that is interesting. What are they exactly?

Do you like the smell of coffee? When I was a little kid in the Fifties sometimes my grandmother would take me to the A&P market where they had an aisle with EIGHT OCLOCK COFFEE that she had to put the beans in these grinders and process it into a bag. It was one of the greatest smells in the world. Even today - when I smell roasting coffee beans or fresh coffee that has jut been ground - it smells heavenly. I sure wish somebody could explain me why the taste of it is nothing like that.

Never had coffee crisps - but that is interesting. What are they exactly?

Do you like the smell of coffee? When I was a little kid in the Fifties sometimes my grandmother would take me to the A&P market where they had an aisle with EIGHT OCLOCK COFFEE that she had to put the beans in these grinders and process it into a bag. It was one of the greatest smells in the world. Even today - when I smell roasting coffee beans or fresh coffee that has jut been ground - it smells heavenly. I sure wish somebody could explain me why the taste of it is nothing like that.

Cofee crisp is a chocolate bar with coffee in it.
cc.jpg
The smell of coffee makes me nauseaus. It is even worse than the taste, at least for me

Rutabaga.

Is that common? Never had that.

Why are so many people not eating so many great foods.
Now you want one to avoid, avoid jackfruit.
Also Marmite, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (got tirted of typing but it can go on forever) try marmite. The most horrible supposedly food substance ever created.

What's with the hate coffee theme all the sudden? Sacrilege, that's what it is. :)

I thought haggis was.

No haggis actually tastes good, it just kinda sounds yucky. Marmite is Satans sweat boiled into jelly and mixed in with some ogre vomit. It is usually served on toast, by people who apparently like to throw their toast into the garbage.
The Aussies apparently have their own version calledd vegemite. I got tricked into trying marmite once, they will not fool me with vegemite.

No haggis actually tastes good, it just kinda sounds yucky. Marmite is Satans sweat boiled into jelly and mixed in with some ogre vomit. It is usually served on toast, by people who apparently like to throw their toast into the garbage.
The Aussies apparently have their own version calledd vegemite. I got tricked into trying marmite once, they will not fool me with vegemite.

Yeah, but you don't do coffee either. So that's that.

Yeah, but you don't do coffee either. So that's that.

You have a point. I suggest you go out and buy the largest tub of marmite you can find, slather it all over some toast and enjoy the experience.

Let us know how it goes

Try a turducken
A chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey.
I made it once took me 4 days but dang it was good!
View attachment 67204926

My wife hates it when I cuss, so I often use "turducken" as a cuss word. When I want to be hardcore I say "turduckens on fire! ". :mrgreen:

It does look good though.

My wife hates it when I cuss, so I often use "turducken" as a cuss word. When I want to be hardcore I say "turduckens on fire! ". :mrgreen:

It does look good though.

I am so going to steal that!
Honestly it takes effort to make, well make properly.
You have to remove all the bones from the Chicken, duck and turkey while keeping the meat all in 1 piece.
I did the chicken on Wednesday, the duck the Thursday, turkey the Friday then assembled and cooked on the Saturday. Next time I'll start with the turkey, being larger with larger bones it is the easiest one to do then with practice by the time I get to the chicken it should be a pic of cake.
I expect to do it again either at thanksgiving (the proper one in October) or Xmas.
Yes I know I just asked murphy to lay the smack down on me

Anyway, if we're going with things that are considered "common" if we include all traditions around the world, then I haven't eaten:

- An animal's penis
- Brain
- Insect
- Deliberately rotted animal food, like the shark they bury in the ground (Iceland? or is it Finland?) or the mostly grown then aged chicken embryo still in egg (China or SE asia generally?)

I would have included testicles on that list, except, funny story: the wife and I have gone to a top restaurant for its tasting menu on our anniversary, if we decide we'd like to celebrate by hating money. I usually would tell the server that the only food restrictions are the above ones (no insect, no brain, no sexual organ). Anything else, I'll eat. I forgot this time.

So the waiter brings out a pasta dish. It's X,Y,Z, with duck testicles. Damn, well, I'm not going to send it back. Instead, I decide I'm going to separate all these little things that are indeed shaped like testicles (which seem to be generally consistent across most higher-order animals). I eat the dish.

At the end, the wife looks over and says....."those were the beans." (I forget which type, but they weren't ones I usually eat, such as black or kidney or the little pink ones, or I'd have recognized them).

:doh

Listening to two radio jocks the other day somehow the subject of foods they have never eaten came up. One said he has never eaten rice! Others were a mango, an avocado, shrimp, etc. I think I have tied everything just because it was drilled in my head to at least try it so you know if you like or not. Offer up a food item you have never tried.

That's a good question. I can't think of anything, but I am sure there is something out there. But, I doubt it's a common food, I eat pretty much everything. Except liver. I never could adjust to liking it.

Pig feet. You don't see it much anymore now that bars have become family establishments with kiddie menus. Used to be in any decent bar in the South there was always a jar of pig feet and pickled eggs. Not a chance I'd ever eat pig feet. I was never that liquored up.

Pig feet. You don't see it much anymore now that bars have become family establishments with kiddie menus. Used to be in any decent bar in the South there was always a jar of pig feet and pickled eggs. Not a chance I'd ever eat pig feet. I was never that liquored up.

Huspenina!

My grandmother would make it for my grandfather. I'd open the fridge and little dishes of upright pigs feet would be in a pool of their jelly (aspic).

I never tried them, although it was my grandfathers favorite dish, by far.

Me too, I love vegetables. Pickled beets...meh. They're practically a Mormon delicacy and my mother used to serve them on holidays. So I've tasted pickled beets before...in small doses...and always meant to try borscht...but never did. And now it seems that no one makes it anymore. Cie la vie.

I miss my grandmother's tomato aspic. It was legendary.

I love aspic with celery and a nice sprinkle of salt. My grandmother used to make it for me as well. I've never met anyone outside of my family that has ever heard of it.

[/B]

I love aspic with celery and a nice sprinkle of salt. My grandmother used to make it for me as well. I've never met anyone outside of my family that has ever heard of it.

I've never heard it outside of my family, either. My grandmother only made her tomato aspic at Xmas time. It was very fancy and colorful with the sliced boiled eggs, crab, celery, etc...mmm...I wish had some right now. My mother tried to make it after my grandmother passed away but it was never as good. I think it was one of those dishes that women used to make to show off their cooking skills.

My mother made pigs feet for us once, my father loved it. We on the other hand refused to eat it. back then we didn't get to leave the table until we had eaten. It was a very long night!

Back
Top Bottom