• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what classic car would you want

Torinos are definitely underrated and underbuilt compared to other cars from the era (i.e. Camaro and Mustangs). You might enjoy this custom '69 build, although it's definitely not for purists. Quite literally very component of the car was either hand built or modified in some manner.

20130123_165202-14673-600-450-100.jpg

Some build pics here: 1969 Torino

I agree 100% That's an awesome looking car. Only thing I think I would do different is the hood.

I've owned five of these...

1974_BMW_2002tii_Blue_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg
2002tii

But want one of these....

DSC00476.JPG
3.0csi

and would modify (only if I had two), like...

bmwg02.jpg
ya... zoooooom baby!

But if I dare to dream...

7370781762_31031ca6e7_z.jpg

BMW M1

I cut my wrench teeth on the 2002. I can tear it down to the frame and build it back with my eyes closed.

dont know about a 63,but i got to drive a 64 numbers matching almostmint with factory custom ordered baby blue paint(still looked like brand new.)it got to fix the transmission because it was leaking,literallyjust smal drops in his garageand he flipped out,well for good reason anyways,it was a show car and he only drives it to car shows or in parades.

those cars made modern luxury cars fell like tanks,they had the smoothest ride,they floated on the road,and nearly everything on them was leather or steel,not plastic interiors and stiff rides like modern luxury cars.

there are many, but first pick would be a classic Challenger.

l.jpg

Here is one that just would be fun to own. "YearOne" remade this car and it has an option for a 650hp 8.8 liter V8 engine. Unfortunately they want an insane $130,000 for it.

0710phr_04_z+1977_pontiac_trans_am+year_one_bandit%20%20.jpg

The Burt Reynolds Edition Trans Am : Ghostworks Garage

beautiful. a buddy of mine in college had one of these (not the 8.8L, but the 6.6,) and it was in absolute factory condition. i've liked them since i was a little kid.

would you believe..... UltraVan.jpg

Corvair powered ... groovie stuff .... no?

LOL, I just know I'm going to get in trouble with this, but I have to say we need to define what may be regarded as a 'classic car'. I have been to a number of motor museums from Lord Montagu's at Leith, to the BMW museum in Munich, but have never seen an old pick up truck designated as a 'classic car'. In the UK, the official designations are veteran (pre-first world war), vintage (1919 - 1930), and post-vintage (1930- 1939). Cars post WW2 are not defined. The term post vintage thoroughbred is used for some competitive events, and applies to post WW2 vehicles, but as the name implies, it denotes vehicles of some pedigree - no mass produced roadster, family sedan, or pick-up truck would qualify. A 'classic' car is a very imprecise term, but perhaps that type of vehicle would qualify.

So applying those parameters, here are some 'classics' I would lust after.

Lamborghini_Miura_P400_SV_Thum.jpg

ferrari-daytona_1475650c.jpg

Lotus_Elite_at_Mallory_Park.JPG

And some more -

jaguar-xk150-05.jpg

1933_Rolls-Royce_Phantom_II_Continental.jpg

Alfa_Romeo_8C_2300_lungo_Brianza_1934.jpg

Here is one that just would be fun to own. "YearOne" remade this car and it has an option for a 650hp 8.8 liter V8 engine. Unfortunately they want an insane $130,000 for it.

meh i actually drove burt reynolds trans am,one of the ones used in smokey and the bandit.

funny story,a shop owner we knew who was a drunk and a pill popper pulled in with it and almost hit the building.he came out drunk as hell yelling hey its burt reynolds car!!we thought he was out of it,but when we looked it the glove box it was registered to burton l reynolds of beverly hills.we looked into it and it was one of the cars used in the movie during parking scenes.he had brought it in for a transmission problem,in which it was a 350 trans that had blown the torque converter.

problem was that drunk put a used trans in it and charged him for a rebuilt trans,being that burt reynolds was pretty much broke after his bankruptcies,that car was one of the last things he had left,and he wasnt too happy when he found out he got ripped off.

I had a Trans Am that color I think it was a 76 but not sure. It didn't look like that though mine was a rusty piece of crap. It had the 6.6L motor that blew to pieces on the way home from buying it. I was going about 120 mph when it happened. All I did was work on it!

If I wasn't going for a muscle car, per se.....I would go with a 58 Impala.

th
th

th
th

I liked the fished tails and the Rag-top.....they still carried the convertible going forward to 64. Had the fishtails for 59 then dropped them in 60 or 61.
iroc.gif

Another I would like to have would be a 67 Cougar X-R7.....

th
th

th
th

th

In the past I would have said a 1970 Mustang Boss 429, white. However, I really liked the huge Lincoln Town Cars with the 460 in the late 70-71 era. Comfortable. Cushy ride. Those things were a tank too. If you want to run someone off the road, they were ideal.

Now? My wife gave me it for my birthday. Used. And my finding this the PERFECT car - ie from my prior choice reflecting my age and changing self perception too. A Mercedes 2 door luxury coupe (meaning has usable backseat). An Autobaum focused design - Renntech modified CL65 AMG. 794 horsepower, 1012 lb/pounds torque, but a somewhat heavy luxury cruiser rather than a muscle car (though it'll blow most muscle cars away.) I never imagined a car this fine could be made. A luxury sport coupe - but like there also is a button you can push that fires a rocket sled engine on back of it. It's insanely fast ONLY if you punch. Otherwise, you'll never have a clue it isn't just a fine luxury coupe.

I guess I've grown past the rumbling big V8s and the hotrod feel of old late 60s thru 71 muscle cars. But I still like the size and the power - but now I want the luxury and sophistication. Sort of a greatly upgrade of what the Lincoln of the 60s and early 70s was. Lincolns are now crap. Little mid-sized things, basically a Ford with a little nicer interior and different emblems.

If I had to limit it to a classic? A fully restored 1971 Lincoln Towncar with the 460. Or a 1971 T-bird with the 429. Both very heavy cushy cars.

Last edited:
I used to say a 56 vette was my dream car, and while I wouldn't turn it down if anyone happens to want to give me a corvette, I think now I would choose something even older and weirder like any old school Rolls Royce convertible touring car or something along those lines, just without the hand crank.

The '63 split window Vette with a 427 was the best of all Vette designs in my opinion. The only year of it.

th
th

th
th

th

They made a Cougar in '68 with a side oiler Ford 427. Rare. Extremely valuable now.

If the goal was a performance car, then it is clearly the 1971 Pantera with the 351 4V Cleveland. I don't think anything has matched it to this day, because it used an ordinary V8 - meaning highly modifiable.

and how would you modify it!

me personally id like to have another 1960 dodge truck kept factory,or a 55 ford truck more modern while still remaining as close as possible to its original design,like for example a 360 fe engine with a fmx cast iron transmission.

however one thing just to note thsat does anger me,ispeople who put a 350 engine and trans or 350 engine and 700 trans in everything.they are the first to claim it doesnt matter what engine goes in anything,yet scream and cry when someone puts a ford engine in a chevy.they seem to believe the 350 is gods gift to the world,but in reality other chevy guys facepalm at these guys,because if you handed them a chevy 454,they wouldnt even understand how to change the oil on it,let alone work on it.

i went a little off topic but back to the point,what classic would you buy and what would you do with it.

I wouldn't really want one. They're too high maintenance, and I work with cars for a living (albeit in a very different way). If I had to pick one though, I'd go for a 1963 Corvette Stingray. I love the look of those things.

I want the car I used to own.

I had a '77 Firebird Esprit in Germany, and drove the hell out of it. It was actually the same type of car that Jim Rockford drove. The '77 Esprit normally had a V6, but had an optional V8. Mine had the optional V8 which was the Oldmobile 350. It had the Trans Am body parts, so it looked like the bandit's car, only blue and without the T-Top. The Old's 350 being the most overbore of the 350's and large intakes had so much power just past 4000 RPM. This car would top 170 MPH.

I miss my TA. I left it in Germany because I was fully aware that I would probably forget I was no longer in Germany and drive it like I did there.

I have since bought a 2000 Z28 and 2002 TA WS6.

th

I've driven one of those, and wouldn't mind having one to tool around in.....

A quick story... a friend had a (think) '71 in olive green, excellent condition. He parked in at work one day, but he forgot to set the parking brake. Went out at lunch to find it nose first in the creek behind the building... from that point forward it was known as The Green Submarine. :lol:

While I don't have any particular car in mind, I'd get something from the 40s or 50s and restore it to factory spec, if you're going to have a classic car, why would you want to frankenstein it with modern parts, just get a modern car.

'69 GTO or on a completely different path a Triumph TR2

Back
Top Bottom