• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What class do you fall under and what is your political affiliation?

What social class do you fall under?

• Capitalist class/wealthy

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Upper middle

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Lower middle

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Working class

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Lower class

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
lower middle class
independent
voted for Obama.

"Wealthy class". My family falls under that category.. I am Republican and just barely missed out on voting. But that bracket is very misleading. I'm not sure if this accounts for families. My family barely falls into this category, but I don't find it very right to have us in the same category as millionares. Considering my parents are trying to pay for 3 kids in college, give more than the 10% tithe to church and charity, and pay taxes... We really aren't much wealthier than anyone else.

The image doesn't fit my situation.
I'll be getting near the high end of the "lower middle class" section, but I'm a blue collar worker with some college.

I didn't vote for anyone, because I'm not naive.

Considering my parents are trying to pay for 3 kids in college, give more than the 10% tithe to church and charity, and pay taxes... We really aren't much wealthier than anyone else.

Yeah, if you've got three kids in college and you can afford to tithe-- much less to go above and beyond-- then yeah, you really are wealthier than most everyone else. Count your blessings.

I'm a welfare parasite, and I planned on voting GOP this year but I just couldn't after Ryan started running his mouth on abortion. So I voted for Gary Johnson.

Yeah, if you've got three kids in college and you can afford to tithe-- much less to go above and beyond-- then yeah, you really are wealthier than most everyone else. Count your blessings.

I'm a welfare parasite, and I planned on voting GOP this year but I just couldn't after Ryan started running his mouth on abortion. So I voted for Gary Johnson.

But at the same aspect, my parents don't view tithe and offering as voluntary. They are very religious and believe that it belongs to the Lord and therefore will give even if they it comes to their last dollar. All three of us have to work to help pay, and after taxes they would no longer be in that category anyways. Of course my parents could abandon me and my two other siblings and live a much more comfortable lifestyle.

I really define someone wealthy if they have loads of disposable income, which really we don't.

Note, I'm not saying we're poor by any means or anything like that. But i'd say there should be a few more categories for people who really are wealthy.

Note, I'm not saying we're poor by any means or anything like that. But i'd say there should be a few more categories for people who really are wealthy.

Yeah, there really should be-- there's people who can afford to pay a tenth of their income, and people who can afford to live off a tenth of their income.

I'm just saying... if your parents can afford to put three children through college on their own, they're wealthy.

We do pretty good considering where I came from. Dirt poor as a kid and have decided I didn't want that for me or mine. Only had one kid because that's what I could afford. She is in private school and about to head to college next year. No College for me but I was a college instructor for 2 1/2 years. Landed a great job right before the economy took a giant dump. Hear that sound? Its me patting myself on the back. J/k I do ok but my wife and I work our tails off.

Yeah, there really should be-- there's people who can afford to pay a tenth of their income, and people who can afford to live off a tenth of their income.

I'm just saying... if your parents can afford to put three children through college on their own, they're wealthy.

That's true. Sadly I'm the youngest though and most of my college will be paid by me. Oh well. Bring on the loans. I can join the lower middle.

Very few people fit into those exactly - they're silly.

Maybe that's why I'm a moderate - I side with no one thusly I align with no one single group. I'm a stay at home mom who's in college - what does that make me? I'm not about to claim **** because of my husband's income.

Upper middle class doesn't spend time under their house redoing all the plumbing :D

The picture does seem to bunch people up in a strange way but this info goes mostly by us government stats. When I looked at the stats that went with this I was very surprised with just how well off I am compared to most Americans. Of course nowadays my biggest problems are affording a 2013 model car and buying a house and not having enough gas for my car and food.

Actually he's raised a good point - is "wealthy" "income" or "disposable income"? Is it "total net worth" or "liquid net worth"? Is someone making $200K in the beltway the same as someone making $200K in Arkansas?

For example, my base pay is $32K a year. But the military forced me to move to a high-cost-of-living area where rent is about $33K a year, utilities are costly, and food costs an arm and a leg (my monthly commissary bill is around $800). So, the military gives me a COLA adjustment and covers my rent through the Overseas Housing Allowance. So the pay that goes through my checking account is more like $80K a year. I have a graduate degree, but the vast majority of my peers do not even have an associates. Heck if I know which one of these I fit in.

All of these breakdowns suck.

Last edited:
The picture does seem to bunch people up in a strange way but this info goes mostly by us government stats. When I looked at the stats that went with this I was very surprised with just how well off I am compared to most Americans. Of course nowadays my biggest problems are affording a 2013 model car and buying a house and not having enough gas for my car and food.

:shrug: take it for what it's worth - but I would recommend buying against a new car unless you are otherwise debt free and can pay for it in cash. Even then, buying brand new is like taking 25K and investing it in a stock that you know is going to lose 2/3rds of it's value over the next three years. Unless you can afford that kind of loss.....

I've been at almost all those class levels at one point or the other in my life, except maybe wealthy. My idea of wealthy is cash/assets combined in the $1-2+ million range. I'm low middle to working class now.

I've been at almost all those class levels at one point or the other in my life, except maybe wealthy. My idea of wealthy is cash/assets combined in the $1-2+ million range. I'm low middle to working class now.

Most Americans don't realize, that on the global scale, they're part of the top 5%.

Buying a 2013 is fun, but isn't exactly wise.
Go to carmax, get a 2012 fleet/rental for a fraction of the price of 2013.

Most Americans don't realize, that on the global scale, they're part of the top 5%.

I know it's really very comparative. When I was a child I'd say my parents were relatively poor and we were working class. We didn't have nothing by today's standards but we didn't know it. And they grew up so poor in comparison to what I did it was like another world. Father had no running water, lights (coal oil lamps) or even shoes half the time. They had no modern medicine or health coverage, etc. But they told me they didn't know either because everyone around them was as poor. And beyond radio, magazines, papers and books there wasn't this huge amount of information streaming in about the world.

We're a bunch of spoiled brats in comparison to that generation and the ones preceding it but we need experiences to relate.

I know it's really very comparative. When I was a child I'd say my parents were relatively poor and we were working class. We didn't have nothing by today's standards but we didn't know it. And they grew up so poor in comparison to what I did it was like another world. Father had no running water, lights (coal oil lamps) or even shoes half the time. They had no modern medicine or health coverage, etc. But they told me they didn't know either because everyone around them was as poor. And beyond radio, magazines, papers and books there wasn't this huge amount of information streaming in about the world.

We're a bunch of spoiled brats in comparison to that generation and the ones preceding it but we need experiences to relate.

No doubt I agree.
I'd say, compared to the majority of the people existing today, in the world, we're spoiled brats.

First, refer to this image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Class_US.svg

I am democrat, voted for Obama, I fall under lower middle class smack dab in the middle of it making my situation better than roughly 54% of Americans.

The chart is pointless.

Cost of living is different based on where you live, so someone in SC may make 60k and be doing quite well. 60k in California? Not so much.
I qualify as upper middle class, and have no degree whatsoever.

People seriously need to stop with this idiotic notion that Education ALWAYS equates to increased Income.
It's one of the main reasons education is so damned expensive.

Guess which education scenario would be cheaper?
Average of 5 people in a given area pursuing higher education, 3 local colleges.
Average of 500 people in a given area pursuing higher education, 3 local colleges.

When demand outpaces supply, costs go up. This is econ 101, from the high school I dropped out of.

Last edited:
I fall between lower and upper middle class I guess? There's kind of a wide gap between the highest pay in lower middle class and the lowest pay in upper middle class.

I'm a moderate liberal. I voted a mix of democrat and republican in the last election.

Upper Middle. Conservative and voted for Romney.

No vote
No class
I am, IMO, just an old retired opinionated man with independent views.
Nor do I wish to have anyone "classify me", it is unAmerican.

I am a blue collar working man, and a single father... we're doing better than some, but I don't think I can say we rise to "lower middle class". If I was married with a working spouse who brought home a decent wage as well, we might be.

I am a registered Republican. In South Carolina, it is pretty much the only thing to be if you want any say in who gets elected, because in most districts it is a given that the R will win the general election.

However I consider myself a centrist, who leans right on certain issues.

With great reluctance and no small unease I voted for Romney and for almost all Republican candidates in the most recent election. I have no love for Romney and find myself in disagreement with the GOP on a number of issues, but I could not vote for Obama... I do not trust him and do not think he has done a good job to date.

In truth there was no candidate that really represented my views very well at all, either in this election or in the previous one.

Back
Top Bottom