• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What caused Ted Cruz to drop out?

dimensionallava

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist

Was it this confrontation that caused Ted Cruz to drop out? Ted Cruz had a bad past few days, in addition to losing the Indiana primary Ted Cruz got into an embarrassing fight with a heckler, had another 13 year old thrown heckler out of his rally saying he deserved a spanking, and watched his so called running mate Carly Fiorina fall off stage at a rally and didn't even try to help.

But could it have been this confrontation alone? Or maybe something else entirely?

I would say attempting to logically and rationally talk to that goofball was a big mistake.

Cruz was trying to be polite and then he yells out " Lyin' Ted!" right in the middle of his sentence. I had to click away after that rudeness, and did not see the rest.

I NEVER try and engage people that have a closed mind, or are only answering you with slogans. That was Cruz's mistake to try.

If it was me, being the polite Texan that I am, I would have tucked my sign under my arm out of politeness, as I engaged Cruz in a meaningful discussion. He already knew I had the sign, so why stick it in his face.

I think the guy he was talking to came out looking like a stereo-typical jerk the liberals always say the Trump supporters are. It was embarrassing the way that guy behaved.

Contrast that to the out of work West Virginia coal miner who was polite, but to the point talking on camera to Hillary, and showing her a photo of his family. His points were effective and true. He did a brilliant job of making Hillary backpedal on what she said two months earlier when she said she bragged she would put all coal businesses out of business and put all coal miners out of work.

He showed her his family and asked how can I feed them NOW, not several months from now. You put me out of work now, and these are the faces of the people who are suffering because of it.

Was it this confrontation that caused Ted Cruz to drop out? Ted Cruz had a bad past few days, in addition to losing the Indiana primary Ted Cruz got into an embarrassing fight with a heckler, had another 13 year old thrown heckler out of his rally saying he deserved a spanking, and watched his so called running mate Carly Fiorina fall off stage at a rally and didn't even try to help.

But could it have been this confrontation alone? Or maybe something else entirely?

Well the reason to drop out is it is mathematically impossible for him to win enough delegates to get nominated outright and Cruz knows that a Trump nomination might kill the GOP this election, but a brokered convention will cause problems for generations.

all the things you describe are a reason for his poor election performance, and the poor election performance is why he dropped out.

<snip>

I suspect it was the lack of future funding by the donor class, as the GOP establishment started moving to Trump.

Cruz had to salvage what he had left in the Party, rather than burn it all.

Yep, once the donors see the writing on the wall, and saw that Cruz not only had no chance of winning, but no chance of getting the nomination in a brokered convention, the donors told him no more money and they moved on..

He never had a chance anyway. But he was seen by some of the establishment conservatives and religious right as last chance to stop Trump and have a far right candidate. It was a pipe dream, he's far too conservative to win in any Blue, or Purple state. But hey, they could dream.

A combination of one landslide loss after another for the past several weeks starting with New York.... a shortage of money ..... and probably a weariness with running out of filed to play on as the numbers loomed with a reality so large over his head that he had to just know it was a mission impossible to try and deny Trump the nomination.

Reality. After finally accepting that the RNC was not going to try to ignore its primary election results. Now only Kasich sees that as a possbility.

Carly falling and no one cared was funny ! :lamo:lamo Cruz version of the hook ! :lamo

Reality. After finally accepting that the RNC was not going to try to ignore its primary election results. Now only Kasich sees that as a possbility.

Since Kasich is not really running an actual on the ground campaign - he matters little at this point.

If you heard Trump on MSNBC this morning he described what he wants in a VP choice and Kasich fills the bill. He said he wanted a person from the political governmental area with practical experience at working with Congress and knew legislation and how to get it passed.

Since Kasich is not really running an actual on the ground campaign - he matters little at this point.

If you heard Trump on MSNBC this morning he described what he wants in a VP choice and Kasich fills the bill. He said he wanted a person from the political governmental area with practical experience at working with Congress and knew legislation and how to get it passed.

Newt? ;)

That seems to be a popular rumor going around today. However, Trump is 69 years of age and Newt would be even older at 72. Kasich is no spring chicken at 64 but is younger.

Rubio would fit the youth bill but I see him as no longer necessary since Trump believes he can take Florida on his own. Ohio however is still key to the GOP chances in November so we are back to Kasich.

Could that black book have a few secrets ? :lamo

Republicans continued to express that a contested convention was unpalatable. As Cruz's campaign increasingly relied on that happening and his share of the delegates dropping, this sentiment was only going to get more resolute.

Ted Cruz wasn't able to get somewhat conservative and moderate Republicans and the processes by which the RNC had at Cruz's disposal weren't desired by a majority of Republican voters.

Peer pressure lemmings. I'm not surprised at all.

"Sir, what do you like about Trump?"
"The walllll...that's the main thing."

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, those people were ****ing stupid.

Jesus Christ, those people were ****ing stupid.

This primary season has caused me to come to some very painful realizations about my own political "tribe".

This primary season has caused me to come to some very painful realizations about my own political "tribe".

It would be like if the "Obama's gonna pay my rent!" woman took over the Democratic Party. I would cringe, too.

It's sad to me that the people I used to think of as Constitutional Conservatives (not social Conservatives) really aren't Conservative at all. They're Populists and Nationalists with a mean authoritative streak. It seems to me that being a true Constitutional Conservative is far more rare than we all thought.

I suspect it was the lack of future funding by the donor class, as the GOP establishment started moving to Trump.

Cruz had to salvage what he had left in the Party, rather than burn it all.
Now Ted needs to 'salvage' his image. That could be done in a Trump administration.

What possible justification did Ted give for putting all his eggs in the Indiana basket, anyway? My guess is the donor class needed some further justification for backing Ted to a possible brokered convention.

Side note: come on board, cpwill. We'll be glad to have you.

What possible justification did Ted give for putting all his eggs in the Indiana basket, anyway? My guess is the donor class needed some further justification for backing Ted to a possible brokered convention.

Side note: come on board, cpwill. We'll be glad to have you.

:) thanks for the invite, but I don't vote for liberal authoritarian bullies who intend to further trash the Constitution for President.

Back
Top Bottom