• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What can I do with a Poli Sci degree?

Polish Rob

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I've made up my mind that I'm going to major in Poli Sci, unless I find something insanely interesting when I get to college. I'm sending away my applications in a few days, and hopefully wherever I go, they'll have a great political science or politics program.

What can I do for a job once I get out of college? Does masters or bachelors make a difference?

Polish Rob said:
I've made up my mind that I'm going to major in Poli Sci, unless I find something insanely interesting when I get to college. I'm sending away my applications in a few days, and hopefully wherever I go, they'll have a great political science or politics program.

What can I do for a job once I get out of college? Does masters or bachelors make a difference?

A political science degree is good if you're thinking about going to law school or graduate school in public policy or a related field. You can get a job with a variety of degrees. It would be harder to get a job in engineering or something with a poly sci degree but it happens occassionally in certain circumstances. A masters degree will help you if you want to teach or work in certain areas of the government. It isn't as vital though in the private sector.

Poly Sci gives you a great preparation for both public and private sector jobs. The public sector is a great place to work, you get great retirement, excellent health care, lots of vacation, good job security, and an average salary of 52,000.

Over half of the federal governments employees will become eligible for retirement within the next 5 years. This means that over 900,000 federal jobs could become available.

If you choose to go private sector, you can work at think tanks, law firms, political campaigns, or honestly, go into any field. Communications, marketing, etc.

I'd advise you to get a well rounded degree with some knowledge of marketing, communications, accounting, and lots of open ended historical inquiry to help improve your learning processes.

Double majoring is also very good too. And learn another language if you can. I'd suggest chinese or japanese, you'd be surprised how many kids I know now who are taking it and getting incredible job offers.

I want to be able to earn a living, and a solid job is a swell idea, so I may just stay in the public realm.

Thanks for the advice and help guys

galenrox said:
yeah dude, I'm switching majors from economics to a poli sci/public relations double major cause I want to become the next Karl Rove (without the whole baby eating thing)

And the whole being a bastard thing too I assume...

Public relations sounds like a good double major.....

The wheels have commenced in their turning....

RightatNYU said:
Poly Sci gives you a great preparation for both public and private sector jobs. The public sector is a great place to work, you get great retirement, excellent health care, lots of vacation, good job security, and an average salary of 52,000.

:shock:

The public sector has an average salary of 52,000? That can't possibly be true for the country overall. Maybe for places in New York or California but still, that's high. Government jobs don't really pay that much but they do offer good benefits.

galenrox said:
Yeah dude, political science is well paired with communications, because political science is essentially the study of why people govern themselves as they do, and communications is a way of breaking that down in a more micro sense.

Mmmm....what class do you take to major in political science?

Originally Posted by Loxd4
Mmmm....what class do you take to major in political science?
I think he studied "bong law".

Originally posted by Galenrox:
If there was such a class I'd take it.

Right now I'm only on my second political science class, I took International Relations last spring, and I'm taking Intro to American Politics now. I'm just changing majors now, so I'm just starting here.
If you graduate, will you know more than Trajan?

Polish Rob said:

As long as you dont go into politics, its a good degree. Otherwise, its as useful as learning to bait hooks. At least learning to bait hooks has its reward, but not right away. The Bachelors degree in baiting hooks is useless, but once you get your Masters degree .........

I'll let you think on that one for a minute.

danarhea said:
As long as you dont go into politics, its a good degree. Otherwise, its as useful as learning to bait hooks. At least learning to bait hooks has its reward, but not right away. The Bachelors degree in baiting hooks is useless, but once you get your Masters degree .........

I'll let you think on that one for a minute.

I lost ya totally dude. English please? lol. Its not that I'm stupid, but I"m burned out from homework all day on my day off, and its 1:10 am.

Thanks.

Polish Rob said:
I lost ya totally dude. English please? lol. Its not that I'm stupid, but I"m burned out from homework all day on my day off, and its 1:10 am.

Thanks.

You become a

Master Baiter!:mrgreen:

(just remember to keep one hand on the wheel at all times.....)

Good luck in your education. I myself decided to go to school for graphic design...so now I work in retail :( (graphic design jobs aren't exactly taking up all the columns in Sunday's want ads-that distinction goes to 'drivers')

galenrox said:
If there was such a class I'd take it.

Right now I'm only on my second political science class, I took International Relations last spring, and I'm taking Intro to American Politics now. I'm just changing majors now, so I'm just starting here.

Good luck with the major change, Galenrox! You're a smart guy so I think it will be easy for you. I also had something like an Internatonal Relations class in college, it was fun.

George_Washington said:
:shock:

The public sector has an average salary of 52,000? That can't possibly be true for the country overall. Maybe for places in New York or California but still, that's high. Government jobs don't really pay that much but they do offer good benefits.

average annual (federal) gov salary nationwide is over 52,000 now.

galenrox said:
thanks dude, I'm ****ing stoked about it, I'm gonna run the world from behind a curtain!

IR is ****ing awesome. fast growing field.

Galenrox, why did you drop Economics? For awhile there you were my hero hehe.

galenrox said:
I'm still gonna study economics, but it's not gonna be my major anymore. I love economics, but I'm not that good at it, but I think I could be a really good political strategist, so I'm gonna try that out.
When I started college I didn't really tool around at all, I went in thinking "I'm gonna do economics and business, and I'm gonna be successful at it. That's what my dad did, and thus that's what I'll do", but I've been thinking more and more that perhaps I should look into other things, and I figure that, since politics is a passion of mine, I should check that out, among other things.
This semester is a tooling around time, I'm taking a philosophy course (which I am quickly realizing is a bastard science), a film analysis course (another bastard science), a calculus course (which I appreciate, but I'm not very good at it, thus why I'm taking it again), and a political science course, and I'm pretty sure now that that's the direction I want to go in.

i ****ing hate philosophy. what use is that ****?

practical knowledge is my friend, practical knowledge.

RightatNYU said:

Well, if he is going into politics, I'd have an easier time resting my head if a politicians was actually well versed in philosphy..

Originally Posted by RightatNYU

I think. Therefore, I am.

galenrox said:
I dunno, they allow some pretty bullshit ideas through in philosophy, like right now we're talking about Des Cartes' arguments that animals cannot think because they don't have souls, and I was one of several people to point out that we know that the brain is the source of thought, to which we got the response "Yeah, but Des Cartes didn't know that, so we have to set that aside". Of course he didn't know that!! He wouldn't have argued the point if he knew something that proved it false, the man was one of history's greatest cynics!

I regularly want to choke my professor.

Hehehehe.

Well, I think some of philosphy is messed up, but Locke and Hobbes are interesting, as well as others..

128shot said:
Well, if he is going into politics, I'd have an easier time resting my head if a politicians was actually well versed in philosphy..

why? what does philosophy offer that practical knowledge cant?

Originally posted by RightatNYU:
cognito, ergo sum?

no, cognito, ergo fag.
That's all you had to say, negro!

RightatNYU said:
why? what does philosophy offer that practical knowledge cant?

And why not? Philosphy can cause you to think of things in a much different way.

I would really, really, like a politician well versed in economics and history though...

128shot said:
And why not? Philosphy can cause you to think of things in a much different way.

I would really, really, like a politician well versed in economics and history though...

So can getting out in the real world and seeing how things work and dont work. While I'm agreeing that a basic knowledge is important, I just don't understand philosophy majors.

Back
Top Bottom