• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Bush Was Told About Iraq

Cassapolis

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
By Murray Waas, National Journal
© National Journal Group Inc.
Thursday, March 2, 2006

Two highly classified intelligence reports delivered directly to President Bush before the Iraq war cast doubt on key public assertions made by the president, Vice President Cheney, and other administration officials as justifications for invading Iraq and toppling Saddam Hussein, according to records and knowledgeable sources.

The first report, delivered to Bush in early October 2002, was a one-page summary of a National Intelligence Estimate that discussed whether Saddam's procurement of high-strength aluminum tubes was for the purpose of developing a nuclear weapon.

Among other things, the report stated that the Energy Department and the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research believed that the tubes were "intended for conventional weapons," a view disagreeing with that of other intelligence agencies, including the CIA, which believed that the tubes were intended for a nuclear bomb.

http://hotstory.nationaljournal.com/articles/0302nj1.htm

Cassapolis said:
Thursday, March 2, 2006

Two highly classified intelligence reports delivered directly to President Bush before the Iraq war cast doubt on key public assertions made by the president, Vice President Cheney, and other administration officials as justifications for invading Iraq and toppling Saddam Hussein, according to records and knowledgeable sources.

The first report, delivered to Bush in early October 2002, was a one-page summary of a National Intelligence Estimate that discussed whether Saddam's procurement of high-strength aluminum tubes was for the purpose of developing a nuclear weapon.

Among other things, the report stated that the Energy Department and the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research believed that the tubes were "intended for conventional weapons," a view disagreeing with that of other intelligence agencies, including the CIA, which believed that the tubes were intended for a nuclear bomb.

More confirmation of what we have known for quite some time, and what others will never believe no matter how much evidence is presented.

hipsterdufus said:
More confirmation of what we have known for quite some time, and what others will never believe no matter how much evidence is presented.
Well, I haven't known for sure. For quite a while I've been torn between mendacity on his part and mere incompetence. While I've not ruled out incompetence combined w/ mendacity, I can now rule out mere incompetence.

I see Move On has sent out their daily emails.

Yawn.

If this were posted by ANYONE else, it might be taken seriously :roll:

Cassapolis said:
Thursday, March 2, 2006

This is old news, actually. I knew the Energy Dept. had told the administration that the aluminum tubes were not of a high enough quality to be used for uranium enrichment when Powell was trying to sell it to the UN in early 2003. The administration knew it was a lie, but they counted on nobody else knowing it. It didn't quite work out that way, some of the members of the security council disputed it. Unfortunately, the American public didn't hear about it....unless they were listening live, like I was. The mainstream media never made an issue of it.

The story was out there then, it just wasn't in the mainstream media.

Back
Top Bottom