• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Bothers You Most About Student Debt Relief

What Bothers You Most About Student Debt Relief?

• Total voters

Cameron

Politically Correct
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I didn't have room for an "other" so just pick the options that seem closest to your concerns.

The fact that we have not, as the wealthiest society and supposedly "best country in the world" cancelled student debt wholesale and made secondary education universal.

"But wHo'S goNnA pAy FoR tHaT"

I don't give a shit, find a way to soak the Bezos and Musk class. Be madder about multitrillion-dollar forever wars that haven't made anyone safer. Or a million other dumb and evil things the government spends money on.

tRumPutin liars and weak-kneed Democrats;

30+ trillion in total accumulated debt, mostly from windfall tax cuts to GOP billionaires and multi-millionaires

i picked 3, and i would also add to that, is that it does not hold the right people to account. If you're going to forgive people's debt, it should not be added the taxpayer's expense, but it should be paid for by the people who caused the problem in the first place: the universities. University admins have been using their systems as a racket, giving them subpar education for massive cost. The lesson here should be, if you take advantage of your students, you will pay for their mistakes. I have no problem forgiving student debt in such a manner.

The fact that we have not, as the wealthiest society and supposedly "best country in the world" cancelled student debt wholesale and made secondary education universal.

I don't give a shit, find a way to soak the Bezos and Musk class. Be madder about multitrillion-dollar forever wars that haven't made anyone safer. Or a million other dumb and evil things the government spends money on.
make the universities pay from their massive endowments.

It should have been coupled with finance reform to address the cost of universities, but I also get the practicalities of the matter. Congress was not in a position to act, so it is what it is.

Hmm… should the (aka any) POTUS be able to redirect those funds as they see fit? If so, that would allow for some interesting campaign promises, since congressional approval would become completely optional.

tRumPutin liars and weak-kneed Democrats;

30+ trillion in total accumulated debt, mostly from windfall tax cuts to GOP billionaires and multi-millionaires

That was not done by EO/AE.

You can confiscate every cent Musk and Bezos have and it still wouldn't cover half the cost of this program

It should have been coupled with finance reform to address the cost of universities, but I also get the practicalities of the matter. Congress was not in a position to act, so it is what it is.

Hmm… does this give the (aka any) POTUS the power to ‘legislate’, borrow and spend to keep their campaign promises?

You can confiscate every cent Musk and Bezos have and it still wouldn't cover half the cost of this program

Are you proposing that the POTUS could now change tax policy as well? The major problem is allowing the POTUS to effectively legislate and cancel/create whatever federal policies they ‘promised’ to implement.

It really doesn't bother me that I've paid my loans and someone else is getting a break - that's a weak reason to oppose student debt relief. My complaints are:

1. It doesn't really solve the problem. Higher ed will continue to get more expensive, though the market can fix that problem on its own eventually (won't be pretty though).

2. It probably will cause some inflation, though the fed can probably deal with it.

3. The one that really bothers me is that the ones who really need it are the grad students with loans in many cases well into the six figure range. The aim should have focused on those with the greatest need first and then expanded it outward. Unfortunately, this relief program seems to be designed to not only give debt but to get votes.

Are you proposing that the POTUS could now change tax policy as well? The major problem is allowing the POTUS to effectively legislate and cancel/create whatever federal policies they ‘promised’ to implement.

I was simply pointing out the massive cost of this and how it is irrelevant to billionaire company owners

My "concern" is that we are forgiving debt that was taken on voluntarily. The #1 cause of bankruptcy are unexpected medical bills. People lose jobs because of the economy or because their company sent their job to India.

There are many many people suffering from crushing debt in this country that did not ask for that debt.

I understand that there is only so much the government can do. That this student debt forgiveness is what Biden can do because the loans are managed by the Department of Education.

But I can also understand when a family, with hundreds of thousands of medical debt because their 5 year old had leukemia, is wondering "Where is my debt relief?"

It really doesn't bother me that I've paid my loans and someone else is getting a break - that's a weak reason to oppose student debt relief. My complaints are:

1. It doesn't really solve the problem. Higher ed will continue to get more expensive, though the market can fix that problem on its own eventually (won't be pretty though).

2. It probably will cause some inflation, though the fed can probably deal with it.

3. The one that really bothers me is that the ones who really need it are the grad students with loans in many cases well into the six figure range. The aim should have focused on those with the greatest need first and then expanded it outward. Unfortunately, this relief program seems to be designed to not only give debt but to get votes.

The biggest problem is transforming (selected?) personal debt into public debt and allowing the POTUS (or their assigns) to ‘legislate’ the means to do so. After all, why have congress if the POTUS (or their assigns) can make new federal laws?

Agreed. You do what you can when you can, take what you can get, rather than fail for wanting it all.

None of the options matter, you left out:

I am butt hurt as it may throw some votes to the Dems

Let's be honest here, it's not the national debt that's the Rights concern, that has not been the case since Busch1.

I didn't have room for an "other" so just pick the options that seem closest to your concerns.
I chose “none of these” because what most bothers me is the fact that they have any student debt at all - not an option on your poll.

We’re competing in a global market place with countries who can educate their citizens with little or no student debt below graduate school level, and we’ve become none competitive in so many ways that we actually go begging foreign countries for their braintrust.

Just one more national embarrassment to add to my list.

How cute

Suddenly the Right decides being fiscally conservative suits them 😂😂

None of the options matter, you left out:

I am butt hurt as it may throw some votes to the Dems

Let's be honest here, it's not the national debt that's the Rights concern, that has not been the case since Busch1.
Republicans in this thread who lie about not being Republicans had no problem with the latest round of corporate welfare in 2017.

Think ‘voodoo’ economics.

GOPutins had no problem bailing out farmers throughout trump’s catastrophe of an admin.

No problem with 14 GOP members of the House with PPP loans, several over a million.

And hey, let’s forgive the Federalist Society of $400k.

Back
Top Bottom