• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Board Games Do You Play?

Yeah I love UK. I used to love playing UK and the times I played Allies that was what I wanted. After building a complex in India, all I did was buy an aircraft carrier and subs en masse for a few turns. Within 3-4 turns, German would have zero navy and absolutely no African presence. After that, it's just a squeeze play in the hopes that Russia can hold the capital (and hopefully Karelia) while you just Churchill the hell out of Eastern Europe.

I loved UK because that was the X-factor of the game. Russia is pretty straightforward, and America - true to life - doesn't really impact the game until much later. The Allies live and die off the tactics of England.

Yeah I love UK. I used to love playing UK and the times I played Allies that was what I wanted. After building a complex in India, all I did was buy an aircraft carrier and subs en masse for a few turns. Within 3-4 turns, German would have zero navy and absolutely no African presence. After that, it's just a squeeze play in the hopes that Russia can hold the capital (and hopefully Karelia) while you just Churchill the hell out of Eastern Europe.

I loved UK because that was the X-factor of the game. Russia is pretty straightforward, and America - true to life - doesn't really impact the game until much later. The Allies live and die off the tactics of England.

Exactly. I also make a strong showing in Africa as soon as possible in an attempt to cut Germany off from gaining those few extra IPC's for production. The thing with Germany is it starts off as a monster because the game begins right in the middle of Germany's big military build-up. But...if you get a Russian player that knows the importance of infantry/armor balance and can hold Karelia, a US that actually understands the importance of transports and can help push Germany out of Africa, then you can really shine as the UK and truly control the waters around Europe. When you have Germany roll over and play a totally defensive game, it's pretty much a done deal because Japan's position on the map leaves it wholly unable to do any real damage outside the pacific and parts of China.

My husband used to play that. I forgot about that one. I never got into it; he had a group of guys he'd play it with.

i played many a game of axis and allies, sometimes lasting overnight. best game, though, is candy land with an adult twist!

and.....trivial pursuit, once upon a time.

Last edited:
I played alot of Life when I was a kid. That, and Clue were really the only board games I really played. Would love to play Axis and Allies(I've been a WW2 nerd since middle school) but it seems like so damn complicated.

Have I been really under a rock? Honestly I have never heard of Axis & Allies before and am starting to feel sucky that I never even heard of this game-that I recall:( I am soooo getting it as this many cool people cannot be wrong about a game.

i played many a game of axis and allies, sometimes lasting overnight. best game, though, is candy land with an adult twist!

and.....trivial pursuit, once upon a time.

Ever did Adult Twister? Yikes:)

Jallman said:
Exactly. I also make a strong showing in Africa as soon as possible in an attempt to cut Germany off from gaining those few extra IPC's for production. The thing with Germany is it starts off as a monster because the game begins right in the middle of Germany's big military build-up. But...if you get a Russian player that knows the importance of infantry/armor balance and can hold Karelia, a US that actually understands the importance of transports and can help push Germany out of Africa, then you can really shine as the UK and truly control the waters around Europe. When you have Germany roll over and play a totally defensive game, it's pretty much a done deal because Japan's position on the map leaves it wholly unable to do any real damage outside the pacific and parts of China.

It depends on the opponents. Whereas a lot of people seem to want to build the Japanese navy right away in an effort to scare off the USA, I actually build TWO complexes in mainland Asia - first in I think it's Manchuria, then next turn Sinkiang or something? Meh. Been a while. People I play against have to bite nails over the Soviet Union because of the fact that I essentially abandon much of the Pacific. I'll keep an eye out for a few close islands, but the outside I don't care much about, and they're the cheap IPC ones. However, one thing I do is similar to UK, and that's build up subs. Essentially, then I just park them in an inland zone that is more than two leagues away from the USA. From there, it's essentially a flinching match. Since subs can get surprise hits without defending ships getting a chance to retaliate if hit, and the ability to escape from strictly aircraft fights, so they're good snipers.

As good as my buddy is with Germany, he sometimes needs a little help holding off the troops. If you can place backdoor pressure on Moscow with Japanese land troops inside of four turns, you can really throw him off, not to mention eat up about 40% of USSR's IPC count in mainland Asia.

The bad part is that if you can't take Moscow before USA really gets in position to unload the juggernaut, it's a long fight.

It depends on the opponents. Whereas a lot of people seem to want to build the Japanese navy right away in an effort to scare off the USA, I actually build TWO complexes in mainland Asia - first in I think it's Manchuria, then next turn Sinkiang or something? Meh. Been a while. People I play against have to bite nails over the Soviet Union because of the fact that I essentially abandon much of the Pacific. I'll keep an eye out for a few close islands, but the outside I don't care much about, and they're the cheap IPC ones. However, one thing I do is similar to UK, and that's build up subs. Essentially, then I just park them in an inland zone that is more than two leagues away from the USA. From there, it's essentially a flinching match. Since subs can get surprise hits without defending ships getting a chance to retaliate if hit, and the ability to escape from strictly aircraft fights, so they're good snipers.

As good as my buddy is with Germany, he sometimes needs a little help holding off the troops. If you can place backdoor pressure on Moscow with Japanese land troops inside of four turns, you can really throw him off, not to mention eat up about 40% of USSR's IPC count in mainland Asia.

The bad part is that if you can't take Moscow before USA really gets in position to unload the juggernaut, it's a long fight.

If the UK drops a IC in India like they are supposed to, there's no way Japan can ever get a foothold on mainland without a series of really crappy rolls on the UK's part. I'm talking total wipeout of entire groups of forces without Japan suffering a single loss.

If the UK drops a IC in India like they are supposed to, there's no way Japan can ever get a foothold on mainland without a series of really crappy rolls on the UK's part. I'm talking total wipeout of entire groups of forces without Japan suffering a single loss.

That's why you attack India ASAP or have the Germans put pressure on North Africa.

Jallman said:

That's also one of the driving forces behind why I often build two complexes in mainland China as Japan. Most of my transports as Japan in the beginning of the game are meant to depopulate my islands and force Allies to attack immediately in mainland Asia or lose the continent. If India builds a complex it becomes hard, but the few times I'm Allies and playing UK, I usually try and convince whoever plays the USA to put a complex into one of his territories in Asia. Granted, it only has a production capacity of 2, but I consider the Asian land war between UK and Japan to be the most crucial vie for position in the first 3 turns of the game. If Japan is forced off the continent, they're essentially a non-factor in the rest of the game, and if they secure Asia then the USSR has to fight a pincer attack that, in the long run, they simply don't have the resources to win.

There were a number of times where I took Moscow as Japan when Germany was getting ganged up on by UK and USA going balls-to-the-wall offense on them. That's the bad part about Germany - you take out their navy, they don't get it back. Ever. Germany has the most potential of flopping when not played to perfection, and has the least wiggle room on difference of play. That's probably why I don't like Germany all that much. Too strict of a game plan.

Allies, outside of USSR, can always just spent money every turn to build technology if they feel like it. The worst is when UK gets super bombers. From that point on, Germany dies broke through IPC bombings. It's an ugly sight.

My buddy went as far as to create his own expansion, with extra tech improvements like a nuclear weapon.
Really changed the dynamics of the game.

We would have one game running over several days because of the strategic changes made.

Axis and Allies was a great game. Spent many nights playing that one. Usually as Japan using a strategy similar to Gipper's. I also love Stratego, Chess, Monopoly, Risk, and Castle Risk. Someone mentioned Magic: the Gathering, and that was another great game. Everyone hated my black Rat deck with blue counter magic. :) Another game I love and still play is Settlers of Catan. The best description I could give is a combination of Risk and Monopoly. The best part about the game is the board is made up individual tiles that are arranged randomly, so every game is different.

Plus I used to have a friend that would create his own games. He created a game called Conquest which was essentially Risk on steriods. We spent entire weekends at his place playing that game. And then he bought a super detailed Civil War game and then made his own board for it on a huge sheet of plywood and altered/customized the rules. We set it up in his garage and the first game was played over entire summer. It was great!

Axis and Allies was a great game. Spent many nights playing that one. Usually as Japan using a strategy similar to Gipper's. I also love Stratego, Chess, Monopoly, Risk, and Castle Risk. Someone mentioned Magic: the Gathering, and that was another great game. Everyone hated my black Rat deck with blue counter magic. :) Another game I love and still play is Settlers of Catan. The best description I could give is a combination of Risk and Monopoly. The best part about the game is the board is made up individual tiles that are arranged randomly, so every game is different.

Plus I used to have a friend that would create his own games. He created a game called Conquest which was essentially Risk on steriods. We spent entire weekends at his place playing that game. And then he bought a super detailed Civil War game and then made his own board for it on a huge sheet of plywood and altered/customized the rules. We set it up in his garage and the first game was played over entire summer. It was great!

I had a friend that did all that.

He made his own full on table top RPG, we played it for years.

The way to play Germany was the "infantry Push". Basically, Germany's navy get's wiped out first or second turn, and attrition will kill their Air power over the course of 8 to 10 turns, so the goal for Germany is to stay alive long enough for Japan to threaten their eastern flank with Russia. If things are going well and the dice cooperate, Germany can then build bombers and destroy the UK's ability to land forces. This forces the US to use their navy, and or a combination of troops transports to elp out the UK, alleviating the pressure on Japan in the Pacific.

I think there used to be a email version of the game, and if some of you are intrested we should get a few involved. Might be fun.

Tim-

The best game is without a doubt is Chickenfoot with a double nine set of dominoes. everyone should play this game it is so much fun.

Poker
Monopoly
Canasta
Rummy

My kids love playing Yahtzee and Scrabble and Phase 10.

I love board games and a game that a bunch of my friends and I get together to play every once in awhile, is "Catch Phrase". Not really a board game, but it's LOTS of fun and really entertaining if anyone has had a few beers. :mrgreen:

catch-phrase.jpg

I like mah-jongg, but I've only played it online.
Someday, i want to get a real mah-jongg set.

If anyone is interested in a PC version of Axis & Allies.

Here is an open source version.
It's the same except that, China is it's own playable nation and there is an artillery unit between infantry and tanks.

TripleA - TripleA

It lets you play by email and I think is real time multiplayer.

Edit: It's also free.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Hicup said:
The way to play Germany was the "infantry Push". Basically, Germany's navy get's wiped out first or second turn, and attrition will kill their Air power over the course of 8 to 10 turns, so the goal for Germany is to stay alive long enough for Japan to threaten their eastern flank with Russia. If things are going well and the dice cooperate, Germany can then build bombers and destroy the UK's ability to land forces. This forces the US to use their navy, and or a combination of troops transports to elp out the UK, alleviating the pressure on Japan in the Pacific.

There's also a roll variable in there too. I've seen my friend really get a push from UK and manage to hold them back while still trouncing Moscow. However, when he does, it's because he doesn't lose those planes. He likes parking all of his plans in Eastern Europe and just neutralizing UK's attempt to build a navy. Granted, it's definitely easier if Japan is eating up mainland Asia IPCs from USSR.

I think there used to be a email version of the game, and if some of you are intrested we should get a few involved. Might be fun.

This thread has gotten me somewhat amped about playing the game again, especially with others from DP. E-mail may get really slow though, and the logistics may be a bit confusing to start. I used to know this place where you could play A&A online with other people, but it costs money. You can play the computer for free, however I will say that the game play is so slow that it's not an enjoyable experience.

Sometimes I'll just go to pogo and play a quick game of Risk to feed the bug if it bites.

If you guys want a game that works really well email, Diplomacy is amazing for it. It's all about talking with people and making/breaking deals... I used to play it email and trust me, it works. if we get 7 people and an adjucator, we should do it

If anyone is interested in a PC version of Axis & Allies.

Here is an open source version.
It's the same except that, China is it's own playable nation and there is an artillery unit between infantry and tanks.

TripleA - TripleA

It lets you play by email and I think is real time multiplayer.

Edit: It's also free.:mrgreen:

HG, I looked this over. I might be interested, but someone should try it out first.

Tim-

Back
Top Bottom