• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Board Games Do You Play?

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
What are your very favorite Board Games?

Oh... we used to play a lot of Scrabble, when my kids were younger. Also chess, checkers, backgammon, Risk.
My favorite non-video game was a card game: Magic.
I was very good at it, and had a very expensive deck of cards. I used to play in tournaments.
I don't know if anyone plays Magic anymore; this was back in the early to mid-90s. It was quite popular among students, when I used to live on campus. I'd just carry my deck around with me, because I could nearly always find someone who wanted a quick game.
You could walk into any coffee shop, and there's all these people sitting around drinking espresso shots and playing Magic: the Gathering.

We used to play Scrabble a lot when I was growing up, the whole family. I was in the chess club in high school, didn't learn much though. :lol: Played Clue quite a bit too.

Monopoly
Still do play it as well.

Monolpoly=Best board game ever!

Scrabble is a good one as well.

Traveler, Axis and Allies, Chess, Senators of Rome

Reef hit two of my favorites. I loved playing chess and A&A with my "smarter" friends.

My buddy Chris would usually take Germany while I took Japan. We'd whip the snot out of pretty much every Ally combination we had in our group. Nobody could play the U.K. all that well though.

What are your very favorite Board Games?

Well, we play mostly kids board games in the family, but I never turn down down a chance to play Axis and Allies. Love that game.

Tim-

Well, we play mostly kids board games in the family, but I never turn down down a chance to play Axis and Allies. Love that game.

Tim-

My husband used to play that. I forgot about that one. I never got into it; he had a group of guys he'd play it with.

My husband used to play that. I forgot about that one. I never got into it; he had a group of guys he'd play it with.

They came out with an updated version about 6 years ago, and it changed the game. I admit I don't play nearly as oftern as I used too, but we too, also had a group of guys we would play with once a month or so.

Fun game to play as the Axis. The odds were in favor of the Allies, but when they changed the game, it was pretty much even.

Tim-

They came out with an updated version about 6 years ago, and it changed the game. I admit I don't play nearly as oftern as I used too, but we too, also had a group of guys we would play with once a month or so.

Fun game to play as the Axis. The odds were in favor of the Allies, but when they changed the game, it was pretty much even.

Tim-

I like playing the original game and I would play the Japanese. You have to invade No. America and interrupt the resource flow.

I love to play most of the games mentioned but have never even heard of Axis and Allies. Where have I been not have heard of this game? I will have to look for it:)

I also love to play cards and my fav is Gin Rummy. It is really only game I kick some ass in.

I love to play most of the games mentioned but have never even heard of Axis and Allies. Where have I been not have heard of this game? I will have to look for it:)

I am not sure which version to recommend to you as I play the original A&A which is out of print. Probably the best bet is the 25th Anniversary Edition: Axis & Allies Spring 1942, The World is at War

I like cards and Dominoes (which aren't board games) Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Scrabble, Chess (don't care much for checkers and I'm not at all good at chess, just like it) Pictionary (although I don't have it anymore) I like lots of games. :)

Axis and Allies, Risk, Monopoly, Diplomacy, Stasis Pro Baseball.

For me, it was chess. I used to be a member of the USCF, and was rated at 2005. That is expert, but nowhere near master rating. Junior master is 2200, and master is 2400. However, I did beat a master once, using an opening called the Colle system. Sacrifed a bishop, then a knight, and one move later, he resigned. Probably the best game I ever played in my entire life.

Axis and Allies, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill. The latter is a cheesy horror themed board game. It's always fun to play, and like any bad horror, there are many lols to be had.

Reef hit two of my favorites. I loved playing chess and A&A with my "smarter" friends.

My buddy Chris would usually take Germany while I took Japan. We'd whip the snot out of pretty much every Ally combination we had in our group. Nobody could play the U.K. all that well though.

The UK is my absolute favorite country to play. You can be a real thorn in Germany's side if Russia doesn't **** up and start attacking too soon, exposing themselves to take over.

I have already posted in this thread, but I wanted to highlight a game I mentioned that no one has probably heard of before. That is because it was published in 1977 and they stopped in 1986 (other versions followed). The game is Traveler. It is a role playing game like Dungeons and Dragons, except the setting is in a local galactic star system. The rules are different than D&D, but you roll a character for Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education and Social Standing then you work your way through a service (Marines, Army, High Guard <Navy/Space Service>, Mercenary, Merchant, and I think Nobility). This gives you skills and rewards. Then you go adventuring. All kinds of adventures can be had. There is even rules for building your own space ship.

Here is a detailed description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_(role-playing_game)

Here are the original rulebooks and some extras for sale: FFE- HardCopy

Last edited:
Statego, Clue, Payday, Clue, Masterpiece, Ker-plunk, Bonkers, Billionaire, Othello...to name a few

The UK is my absolute favorite country to play. You can be a real thorn in Germany's side if Russia doesn't **** up and start attacking too soon, exposing themselves to take over.

I prefer America; it's fun to see how long you can make China last, but the best feeling is playing as Japan and rolling into Stalingrad and Moscow.

I am such a nerd... I'm part of the local board game meetup, so I've been exposed to lots of random "euro" board games, which are much more detailed and rewarding than starndard games. Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Powergrid, are all classics of these games. I've also really gotten into cooperative games where all the players are playing against the game mechanic, like Arkham Horror (based on the Cthulhu mythos) or Pandemic. Oh, and I play a tabletop rpg like Dungeons and Dragons or Traveler where you play as mortals given godly power called Exalted.

Back
Top Bottom