• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What are your top 10 favorite movies?

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Casablanca
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Field of Dreams
5. The Sting
6. High Noon
7. The Green Mile
8. The Godfather
9. Rocky
10. Planet of the Apes
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
So hard to pick just ten. I guess I'll go with:

1. Casablanca
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3/4. The Godfather I and II
5. Donnie Darko
6. City of God
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. I Heart Huckabees
9. Pulp Fiction
10. Contact
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
It's too hard to narrow down, so I hastily made a list of classics and contemporary flicks that I can watch over and over and over...and do!

In no particular order:
Classics
1. The Third Man
2. Touch of Evil
3. Singin' In the Rain
4. Gone With the Wind
5. Sullivan's Travels
6. All About Eve
7. The Women
8. Double Indemnity
9. The Lady Eve
10. Citizen Kane

Contemporary:
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Raging Bull
3. Miller's Crossing
4. Sideways
5. American Splendor
6. The Life Aquatic
7. Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?
8. The Big Lebowski
9. The Wonder Boys
10. Three Kings
 

Caine

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
23,344
Reaction score
7,210
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
1. Forest Gump
2. Liar Liar
3. Trading Places
4. Beverly Hills Cop
5. Braveheart
6. Gladiator
7. Tin Cup
8. Dave
9. Bruce Almighty
10. A Time to Kill

Well, thats the list out of the movies I own on DVD anyways.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
mixedmedia said:
It's too hard to narrow down, so I hastily made a list of classics and contemporary flicks that I can watch over and over and over...and do!

In no particular order:
Classics
1. The Third Man
2. Touch of Evil
3. Singin' In the Rain
4. Gone With the Wind
5. Sullivan's Travels
6. All About Eve
7. The Women
8. Double Indemnity
9. The Lady Eve
10. Citizen Kane

Contemporary:
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Raging Bull
3. Miller's Crossing
4. Sideways
5. American Splendor
6. The Life Aquatic
7. Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?
8. The Big Lebowski
9. The Wonder Boys
10. Three Kings
Those are excellent selections, here are a few more......

To Kill a Mockingbird
Cool Hand Luke
Ben Hur
Tora Tora Tora
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Hud
The Lost Weekend
Mr Roberts
And Officer and a Gentleman
On the Waterfront
Its a Wonderful Life

Musicals

Oklahoma
South Pacific
West Side Story
The King and I
The Sound of Music
Gigi
Fiddler on the Roof
White Christmas
Singing in the Rain (I know you listed that one, I watched it today it was great)
 

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
153
Location
South Shore of Long Island.
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
1. Born on the Fourth of July
2. The Lord of the Rings
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Platoon
5. Inherit the Wind
6. Rob Roy
7. Braveheart
8. Michael Collins
9. Goodfellas
10. Godfather Pt. 2
 
T

The Real McCoy

In no particular order...

1. Fight Club
2. Matrix Trilogy
3. Super Troopers
4. Wall Street
5. Casino
6. Scarface
7. Braveheart
8. Star Wars Trilogy
9. The Green Mile
10. Out Cold (snowboarding fan here)

There's plenty more comedies including a lot of Adam Sandler's (Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Wedding Singer, etc.) Jim Carrey's (Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, etc.) Mike Meyers' (Wayne's World, Austin Powers) and Ben Stiller (Meet the Parents, Zoolander, Dodgeball)
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
FinnMacCool said:
3. Princess Mononoke
My kids have been into anime for years and I never thought much of it till they showed me the Miyazaki (sp?) movies. His films are amazing. :2wave:
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Those are excellent selections, here are a few more......

To Kill a Mockingbird
Cool Hand Luke
Ben Hur
Tora Tora Tora
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Hud
The Lost Weekend
Mr Roberts
And Officer and a Gentleman
On the Waterfront
Its a Wonderful Life

Musicals

Oklahoma
South Pacific
West Side Story
The King and I
The Sound of Music
Gigi
Fiddler on the Roof
White Christmas
Singing in the Rain (I know you listed that one, I watched it today it was great)
Movie buff, really Navy Pride?

Yeah all those are great, although I don't think I ever saw Tora, Tora, Tora - never been much into war films, but In Harm's Way by Otto Preminger is a good one if you haven't seen it - John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patricia Neal.....

I could come up with a few hundred more great flicks, too. :2wave:
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
  1. Baseketball
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Titannic
  4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  5. Orgasmo
  6. Sabrina
  7. Payback
  8. Love and a 45
  9. Fight Club
  10. The Cable Guy
 

Thorgasm

Bus Driver to Hell
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
69,449
Reaction score
15,335
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
1. Blues Brothers
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Star Wars saga
4. Up In Smoke
5. American Pie trilogy
6. Godfather trilogy
7. Hotel Rwanda
8. Scarface
9. Traffic
10. Goodwill Hunting
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by independent_thinker2002
1. Blues Brothers
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Star Wars saga
4. Up In Smoke
5. American Pie trilogy
6. Godfather trilogy
7. Hotel Rwanda
8. Scarface
9. Traffic
10. Goodwill Hunting
You can't cram trioligies in there! That's more than 10 movies!
 

Thorgasm

Bus Driver to Hell
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
69,449
Reaction score
15,335
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Billo_Really said:
You can't cram trioligies in there! That's more than 10 movies!
Too late, I already did! :rofl
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
In no particular order:

1. Only When I Laugh
2. Terms of Endearment
3. Silence of the Lambs
4. 12 Angry Men
5. Goodwill Hunting
6. Beverly Hills Cop (I have seen it probably 50 times)
7. Titanic
8. Top Gun
9. Brothers McMullen (hilarious!)
10. Saving Private Ryan
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by independent_thinker2002:
Too late, I already did!
Why you mutha.......................well, they are pretty good.
 

Thorgasm

Bus Driver to Hell
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
69,449
Reaction score
15,335
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
10 Movies isn't enough. I feel like I have left so many out.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
aps said:
In no particular order:

1. Only When I Laugh
2. Terms of Endearment
3. Silence of the Lambs
4. 12 Angry Men
5. Goodwill Hunting
6. Beverly Hills Cop (I have seen it probably 50 times)
7. Titanic
8. Top Gun
9. Brothers McMullen (hilarious!)
10. Saving Private Ryan
Terms of Endearment. Gawd, I watched that with my daughters a month or so ago....that movie still makes me bawl my eyes out. It's one of my favorites, too!

And I just saw Good Will Hunting, recently/finally, it was also excellent.

I need to add American Beauty, Annie Hall and Lost in Translation to my list. It is impossible to pick ten. :mrgreen:
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
mixedmedia said:
Terms of Endearment. Gawd, I watched that with my daughters a month or so ago....that movie still makes me bawl my eyes out. It's one of my favorites, too!
ha ha ha, me too, mixedmedia! You know the part that touches me the most? When Jack Nicholson shows up at the hotel Shirley M. is staying at and she says to him, "Now who would have thought you'd be a nice guy."

And I just saw Good Will Hunting, recently/finally, it was also excellent.
When he loses it at the end--that was the most powerful part of the movie.

If you haven't seen Only When I Laugh with Marsha Mason and Kristy McNichol, I hope you consider watching it. It has so much depth to it, and Kristy McNichol has a very powerful scene in the movie, which is my favorite part. :mrgreen:
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
aps said:
ha ha ha, me too, mixedmedia! You know the part that touches me the most? When Jack Nicholson shows up at the hotel Shirley M. is staying at and she says to him, "Now who would have thought you'd be a nice guy."
From the moment she checks into the hospital its like waterworks. When Shirley McClaine has the freak out at the nurses's station about Emma's medicine.....rolling sobs, lol :roll: God, I'm a sucker for that stuff. The relationship between Emma and her mother reminds me of my own so much.

When he loses it at the end--that was the most powerful part of the movie.
There were some great performances in that film. Robin Williams was brilliant as always. Did you see Awakenings?

If you haven't seen Only When I Laugh with Marsha Mason and Kristy McNichol, I hope you consider watching it. It has so much depth to it, and Kristy McNichol has a very powerful scene in the movie, which is my favorite part. :mrgreen:
That's Neil Simon, right? I remember that movie, but don't think I ever saw it. Remember The Goodbye Girl?
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
mixedmedia said:
From the moment she checks into the hospital its like waterworks. When Shirley McClaine has the freak out at the nurses's station about Emma's medicine.....rolling sobs, lol :roll: God, I'm a sucker for that stuff. The relationship between Emma and her mother reminds me of my own so much.
LOL Tell me about it (the sobbing). So your relationship is similar.....hmmmm


There were some great performances in that film. Robin Williams was brilliant as always. Did you see Awakenings?
Yes, but I don't remember that movie that well (except that it was kind of depressing). I thought his performance in Goodwill was his best. I loved his character.


That's Neil Simon, right? I remember that movie, but don't think I ever saw it. Remember The Goodbye Girl?
Yes, it's Neil Simon and I LOVE the Goodbye Girl. Love it!
 
H

hipsterdufus

My top 10 - in no particular order.

1. The Godfather I & II
2. Silence of The Lambs & Hannibal
3. Apocolypse Now
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Star Wars - The Empire Stikes Back
6. The Fountainhead
7. Alien
9. Clockwork Orange
10.One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,986
Reaction score
6,090
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
My top 10:

1. Dumb and Dumber (#1 without a doubt - rest in no order)
2. Beverly Hills Cop (good call Stephe and Aps)
3/4. Godfather I/II
5. Back to the Future
6. Star Wars IV - Empire Strikes Back
7. Pulp Fiction
8. It's a wonderful Life
9. Superman
10. Wizard of Oz
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
vauge said:
My top 10:

1. Dumb and Dumber (#1 without a doubt - rest in no order)
2. Beverly Hills Cop (good call Stephe and Aps)
3/4. Godfather I/II
5. Back to the Future
6. Star Wars IV - Empire Strikes Back
7. Pulp Fiction
8. It's a wonderful Life
9. Superman
10. Wizard of Oz
After that movie, Eddie Murphy was never as good. His lines were hilarious, and it's just not the line--it's the way he says it.

Trust me.
You were lyin' your a$$ off.
You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe? (immitating a black guy who talked like a white guy.)
Foul mouthed? F*** you, man.
Boss, the chief didn't chew off your a$$, you still got some (or something like that).
Victor Maitlin, white hair, capricorn (tell him that Ramon has herpes simplex 10 and that he should get checked out before things start falling off on the man).

As you can see, I love that movie.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
aps said:
So your relationship is similar.....hmmmm
Yeah, but its not so bad. When I was younger we used to butt heads in a very similar fashion but there was always that strong connection. Now we get along very well and we see eye to eye on most things....she always knew I'd come around, lol. Seriously though, she was right about most things - not all - but most. ;)
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
vauge said:
My top 10:

1. Dumb and Dumber (#1 without a doubt - rest in no order)
2. Beverly Hills Cop (good call Stephe and Aps)
3/4. Godfather I/II
5. Back to the Future
6. Star Wars IV - Empire Strikes Back
7. Pulp Fiction
8. It's a wonderful Life
9. Superman
10. Wizard of Oz
Now let see vauge'strue top ten...

1. Police Academy 5 - Assignment: Miami Beach
2. From Justin to Kelly
3. Mr. Nanny
4. Battlefield Earth
5. Blues Brothers 2000
6. Caddyshack II
7. Joe Dirt
8. Gigli
9. Brokeback Mountain
10. Waterworld
 
Top Bottom