• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are your "must have" ingredients in eggnog?

Which of the following items are "must have" ingredients in eggnog you drink?

• Total voters

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
  • Eggs
  • Brandy
  • Bourbon
  • Rum
  • Cognac
  • Nutmeg
  • Heavy Cream

Hmmm, white wine and that's it!

Never could understand the liking of egg nog. Must be acquired taste.

It is an acquired taste! I used to only drink it with no alcohol added. It is like a twenty dollar bill used to be, “once broken/opened. It went quickly. In the last few years I have tried rum and bourbon added. Bourbon is the thing. If too much is consumed the next day “heavy lies the eggnog!”

Love eggnog but can't drink it. Allergic to dairy.

It is an acquired taste! I used to only drink it with no alcohol added. It is like a twenty dollar bill used to be, “once broken/opened. It went quickly. In the last few years I have tried rum and bourbon added. Bourbon is the thing. If too much is consumed the next day “heavy lies the eggnog!”

It's uncooked scrambled eggs with plenty of booze and a dash of nutmeg. Not for me. How many people really like it?

Brandy + Rum is the preferred octane supplier, though I dont always use it.

Eggnog... I really don't see any appeal in that monstrous concoction.

Bourbon. But with no eggnog in it.

Two holiday "treats" I've avoided even trying in my 51 years: fruitcake and eggnog. The first is obvious, the latter...never knew why.

Store bought Egg Nog
With Rumchata
And added whiskey

Why would I want to put eggnog in my bourbon? :2razz:

Two holiday "treats" I've avoided even trying in my 51 years: fruitcake and eggnog. The first is obvious, the latter...never knew why.
Fruitcake is much like lamb in that it can be either delicious, or kind of gross, with not a whole lot in between.

Fruitcake is much like lamb in that it can be either delicious, or kind of gross, with not a whole lot in between.

I made fruitcake this year. My husband eats a slice every day.
Good thing he has a fast metabolism. Lots of carbs in these babies.
I agree with your analogy. Nothing worse than a dry fruitcake.

There is only one thing in the world that is just as bad as a dry fruitcake:

A moist one.

It's uncooked scrambled eggs with plenty of booze and a dash of nutmeg. Not for me. How many people really like it?

Just the yolk, and heat it over a double boiler until it reaches 160 F. and the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.

It's like the original energy bar! :)
I used to make it every year, then people around me started going gluten-free :roll: -just wayyy too much work (and food) to not share.

It is certainly one of them "Do it right or forget it" things.

It is certainly one of them "Do it right or forget it" things.

I used a good old Betty Crocker recipe from my very first cookbook from 46 years ago.
She didn't suggest dousing it in brandy every couple of days though for a week like we did though.
That was our idea. ;)

There is only one thing in the world that is just as bad as a dry fruitcake:

A moist one.

You make a good point. There is a fine balance. Shouldn't be too moist either.

Sort of like making any decent ice cream, but with alcohol. What's not to like?

You make a good point. There is a fine balance. Shouldn't be too moist either.

Moist is one of those words that people dont like, they have science on it which I find to be interesting.

You might be interested to know that we have a baker in town who is successful on the back of only two things....dont blow out everything with too much sugar and dont overcook.....managing those two things together is such a rare thing that success follows.

We are sure tangenting the Hell out of this thread arent we...maybe we should stop?

Moist is one of those words that people dont like, they have science on it which I find to be interesting.

You might be interested to know that we have a baker in town or is successful on the back of only two things....dont blow out everything with too much sugar and dont overcook.....managing those two things together is such a rare thing that success follows.

We are sure tangenting the Hell out of this thread arent we...maybe we should stop?

Will you be cooking for Christmas Eve and Christmas? Serving eggnog and fruitcake too?
There back on subject. ;)

Just the yolk, and heat it over a double boiler until it reaches 160 F. and the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Good to know. I assumed it was similar to what Rocky had for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom