• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are your favorite sources of information?

Occam's Razor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Are you a Fox fanatic? Or an MSNBC addict? Where do you first turn for news? MSM? Ideological sites? Talk radio?

Where do you go to fact check what you hear from your news sources?

One of my goto sites since 1999 is RefDesk.com. It hasn't changed much format-wise since then, but has an amazing list of tools and reference. Kind of like the Craigslist of information. Stripdown, simple, largely devoid of ads.

As for news sources, I don't really have any trusted favorites. Google news streams news by subject to a single page and provides multiple sources for cross referencing and comparing. I don't own a TV or subscribe to cable, so blissfully, the din of hyperbole and sensationalism is low.

Are you a Fox fanatic? Or an MSNBC addict? Where do you first turn for news? MSM? Ideological sites? Talk radio?

One of my goto sites since 1999 is RefDesk.com. It hasn't changed much format-wise since then, but has an amazing list of tools and reference. Kind of like the Craigslist of information. Stripdown, simple, largely devoid of ads.

As for news sources, I don't really have any trusted favorites. Google news streams news by subject to a single page and provides multiple sources for cross referencing and comparing. I don't own a TV or subscribe to cable, so blissfully, the din of hyperbole and sensationalism is low.

First think I listen to is CNBC. Read the WSJ and skip through the NYT. TV talking heads are for amusement not news.

Blank Google news search is my favorite; I get every story from multiple sources. Filters out the bias.

I get most of my news from my local news station. Sometimes I buy a newspaper if the headlines interest me. I also get a lot of my news from various online sources.

A lot of times I hear news here on DP that I don't hear about in other places, so I can link to other people's "local" news stories, which is kind of cool too! :)

I get most of my news from my local news station. Sometimes I buy a newspaper if the headlines interest me. I also get a lot of my news from various online sources.

A lot of times I hear news here on DP that I don't hear about in other places, so I can link to other people's "local" news stories, which is kind of cool too! :)

Ya, there are times I really miss that ritual of rifling through an actual newspaper.

Ya, there are times I really miss that ritual of rifling through an actual newspaper.

Same thing with books. There's nothing like the smell of a real book, you just don't get that with Kindle. :mrgreen:

NPR and reuters.com

Globe & Mail, CBC, AJE, IOL. Then I go on WND for laughs.

What are your favorite sources of information?
Discovery/History channel.

What are your favorite sources of information [propaganda]?
I'm a consumer of entertainment, not what people call "news". Whatever is happening, I want to be entertained by it, and nothing is sacred, which is why I'm responsible for DP's new rule against posting graphic materiel.

I'm a big fan of service oriented talk radio, like Dave Ramsey and Tom Martino, and not a big fan of political talk radio.

Since they're all biased I just assume they're all wrong.

I usually start out with my local morning news, then The Today Show, then Headline News or CNN, then NBC Nightly News. I also read my local paper from time to time. If something big is going on, I'll go through all of the above sources, then search sources online as well. I usually go through several sources, and make up my mind based on what I've read and/or watched.

Euronews, BBC, DW, and local news channels. Then I go and have a peep at RT and fill in the vacuum between polar positions.

The Economist.

Reuters and the BBC for daily headline kind of stuff.

Actually, I like this forum. When ideas and opinions are trotted out for discussion, they are routinely scoured and evolve through examination.

I have learned much in these forums and I thank all have challenged, corrected and had patience with me.

Those that have assaulted me are invited to step off.

I go online, I start with bbc, sometimes I check CNN, if I'm really interested in a story I'll head over to abyznewslinks, it's the world at your fingertips.

Newspapers - Newspaper & News Media Guide

I'll also check out O'Reillys show on fox news to get opinions.

I use many source news paper,TV,internet but I am afraid the truth regarding many news is vague,people are kept in dark I have written my opinion here do read for example in India the Ishrat Jahan Murder case she was accused as a terrosist but now the same investigating agency said that she was falsely accused so the freedom of press,media are being curbed

Last edited by a moderator:
I only believe what I see on television.

It's actually getting to a point for me that I don't even know whether or not to believe any media sources, they either jump to conclusions or are just wrong a lot of times. Investigative journalism? :roll:

News:
Huffington Post
News.Google.Com
Reason.Com
CNN.com
MSNBC.com
Foxnews.com
Drudgereports.com
SCOTUS Blog
Debate Politics
Infowars.com
Facebook (I follow alot of feeds like "I ****ing Love Science)
Twitter

Podcasts:
This Week In Science
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Joe Rogan Experience
Adam Carolla Podcast

Gaming:
Kotaku
Joystiq
Gametrailers

Comics:
Penny Arcade
XKCD

And various Youtube Subscriptions.

My five senses.

Lately, I get a lot of "news" from the articles people post to various forums. I guess, these days, the forum poster acts as my web aggregator.

I get all my information from lockstepleftist.com, ronpaulisgod.com, fundamentalistpharisees.com and i'mfilthyrichofcoursei'mrepublican.com

Reuters and PBS mainly. Project Syndicate, The New York Times, and occasionally the Florida Today for op-eds.

Back
Top Bottom