• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are you watching?

What does it say about you as a person if you find Squid games enjoyable?

The show is repulsive.
Oh, and another point that I think speaks to the brilliance of the show:

Spoiler:

At the end of the first episode, the audience mirrors the main characters. The characters leave the game show in episode two after the Red Light Green Light slaughter at the end of episode one. At the end of episode two, nearly all the contestants decide to return to the game, but this time fully cognizant of its true nature. They’ve made their decision. Likewise, we the viewers have the option to abandon the show. We had all the opportunity we needed to move on to something lighter, like Only Murders In the Building or the Great England Cake Bachelor Bake-off. But we, like the characters, came back, knowing full well what was in store. Neither the characters nor the viewers can claim ignorance.

So if you came back after episode two, you’re no better than them or anybody else.

What does it say about you as a person if you find Squid games enjoyable?

The show is repulsive.

This show would fall into the category of Speculative fiction where the creators use exagerated pretenses (technological, sociological, or otherwise) to explore the basics of human nature, and explore what is and is not universally human. This type of entertainment takes all of our preconceived notions of what it is to be human and subjects them to a sort of uncanny valley effect. What doesn't seem quite right in the responses of the characters is often due to a primary failing on the material to adequately represent humanity.

That being said, I hated the show's depictions of Christians which elicited the strongest uncanny valley effect with me. That being said it also, in it's own way, enforced the core tenets of Christianity through exposing the soulless nature of secular society, secular excesses while presenting the common dignity of sacrifice.

I found the old man's full disclosure of how the Squid Games developed to be partcularly interesting and on point. There is really nothing at the top of the secular pyramid. The real meaning in life has nothing to do with money and is available to everyone regardless of income. Those to end up at the top are still faced with the same core decision that everyone has: Will you use what you are given for good or evil, and the path of selfish self service leads to evil.

Yes, can't wait to watch the next season. I binge watch after all episodes have been aired. I never liked shows set back in time, now I seek them out.
Endeavor is a favorite. I binge watched the first 4 seasons and am now watching episode 3 of season 5.

Another very good show set back in time is Seaside Hotel. It's a Danish show beginning in the late 1920s. The 8 seasons on Amazon Prime reach 1942 and the German occupation of Denmark. PBS has the first 3 seasons. A new season is coming in 2022.

Endeavor is a favorite. I binge watched the first 4 seasons and am now watching episode 3 of season 5.

Another very good show set back in time is Seaside Hotel. It's a Danish show beginning in the late 1920s. The 8 seasons on Amazon Prime reach 1942 and the German occupation of Denmark. PBS has the first 3 seasons. A new season is coming in 2022.
Thanks or the tip. When I looked for it, I came across many more interesting shows. Years of entertainment basically.

Just started Foundation. Decent so far. It may help that I remember next to nothing from when I read the series as a kid. From what I’ve gathered from others, if you go into it with a “Ohmagodohmagodohmagod THEY’RE FINALLY MAKING FOUNDATION” attitude you’ll be disappointed. But if you watch it as just another new show on tv you’ll probably like it. That’s my impression from one episode, so it’s possible my opinion may change.

Just started Foundation. Decent so far. It may help that I remember next to nothing from when I read the series as a kid. From what I’ve gathered from others, if you go into it with a “Ohmagodohmagodohmagod THEY’RE FINALLY MAKING FOUNDATION” attitude you’ll be disappointed. But if you watch it as just another new show on tv you’ll probably like it. That’s my impression from one episode, so it’s possible my opinion may change.
I bought Apple TV + just to watch it. The broad themes, settings, and character names are Asimov's.

I bought Apple TV + just to watch it. The broad themes, settings, and character names are Asimov's.
I hope they stick with Asimov’s general optimism (or, barring that, a lack of general pessimism) regarding the future. These days, all sci if is what’s-the-point-just-kill-yourself-there’s-no-hope. It’s a major drag.

Okay, I’m starting to get why Foundation is unappreciated. In spite of a rich source story, the flow of the narrative is pretty terrible. The wife and I had to pause frequently during episode 2 to make sure we really were on the second episode and hadn’t accidentally skipped ahead to the third or even fourth episode. This lack in flow is pretty much uninterrupted.

Okay, I’m starting to get why Foundation is unappreciated. In spite of a rich source story, the flow of the narrative is pretty terrible. The wife and I had to pause frequently during episode 2 to make sure we really were on the second episode and hadn’t accidentally skipped ahead to the third or even fourth episode. This lack in flow is pretty much uninterrupted.
It gets worse. Not a spoiler, just my opinion.

I'm in the middle of Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. I finished the book and then started watching the series. The book was fine. I was expecting more suspense. The series is really bad. They did try to add in suspense, but it's so clunky and eyeroll worthy. Nicole Kidman plays the lead. She's supposed to be Russian, but she sounds exactly like an Australian who sometimes slips into a bad Russian accent. I'll definitely finish it, but it's not great.
NLCS. And it's over.

I started watching The Chestnut Man on Netflix. I will never look at chestnuts the same way again.

ie_77203.jpeg

If you like a good mystery, you MUST watch Clickbait on Netflix. I just binge-watched all 7 episodes. I couldn't stop watching.

I just found this on Amazon Prime and binged it. The series is good but I'm sure Amazon is screwing with it. Does anyone know anything about it?

P.S. Giusy Buscemi... Words fail me.

Just found out there is a second season of Tiger King, so watching that.

I have been watching War of the World's, a European production. It's a unique take on an old story, far superior to the Tom Cruise film or the 3 part production offered from the BBC last year.

Lots of character development, a slow burner in places but it has its share of jumps and suprises. An excellent international cast, mostly European with a couple of Americans. It's on Epic two series thus far, with series 3 to be released March 2023.

As it's international some of the dialog is in French, but most is in English and subtitles are provided where needed.

I'm in the middle of Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. I finished the book and then started watching the series. The book was fine. I was expecting more suspense. The series is really bad. They did try to add in suspense, but it's so clunky and eyeroll worthy. Nicole Kidman plays the lead. She's supposed to be Russian, but she sounds exactly like an Australian who sometimes slips into a bad Russian accent. I'll definitely finish it, but it's not great.
Wheel of Time just dropped on Amazon.

The live action adaptation of Cowboy Beebop is on Netflix now. It is amazing how they manged to take everything that made the original cool, and get rid of it, leaving a comedy action series with no humor and crappy action.

Recently I started to watch different tutorials of creating videos. I want to use video for promotion my online shop. But I am still noob so used help of boosting sales video team. it is useful to know that using different ways to increase brand recognition and sales you decide to use, the better for a brand.

That's some crazy stuff

On Youtube:

Bald and Bankrupt. It's run a British guy who is fluent in Russian, and his videos are about him going to the lands of the former Soviet Union (he is a Soviet buff) and the people he meets there. It's funny and very entertaining, plus its educational too.

Currently in the middle of several series. Right now Only Murders in the Building on Hulu - but also The Americans, The Crown, and American Rust. I'm binging as much as I can on weekends at my niece's place, because I don't have any cable TV at home, and I hate to watch on my laptop.

Just started The Americans last night on the recommendation of a good friend. It's quite brilliant. The Crown is something I would never normally have bothered with, as the subject matter is unimportant to me, but it has taken so many Emmy Awards, I decided to see what the attraction is. American Rust is only a couple of episodes in, so no hurry there.
The Americans and The Crown are freaking awesome. So was the Queens Gambit. Just finished that.

I regressed and just watched The Umbrella Academy and am currently binge watching Stranger Things. Into Second Season now.

Just started watching The Repair Shop It's kind of a tear jerker

Some of Britain's most skilled restoration experts breathe new life into much-cherished family heirlooms that are dropped off by members of the public, who reveal the personal stories behind the items.

I just finished the last season of Wentworth
I hope there'll be a spin off.

Back
Top Bottom