• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are you watching?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I'm in the middle of Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. I finished the book and then started watching the series. The book was fine. I was expecting more suspense. The series is really bad. They did try to add in suspense, but it's so clunky and eyeroll worthy. Nicole Kidman plays the lead. She's supposed to be Russian, but she sounds exactly like an Australian who sometimes slips into a bad Russian accent. I'll definitely finish it, but it's not great.

I am watching the rain falling with a whiskey in my one hand and my woman in the other.

Life doesn't get any better than that.

I'm in the middle of Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. I finished the book and then started watching the series. The book was fine. I was expecting more suspense. The series is really bad. They did try to add in suspense, but it's so clunky and eyeroll worthy. Nicole Kidman plays the lead. She's supposed to be Russian, but she sounds exactly like an Australian who sometimes slips into a bad Russian accent. I'll definitely finish it, but it's not great.
Currently in the middle of several series. Right now Only Murders in the Building on Hulu - but also The Americans, The Crown, and American Rust. I'm binging as much as I can on weekends at my niece's place, because I don't have any cable TV at home, and I hate to watch on my laptop.

Just started The Americans last night on the recommendation of a good friend. It's quite brilliant. The Crown is something I would never normally have bothered with, as the subject matter is unimportant to me, but it has taken so many Emmy Awards, I decided to see what the attraction is. American Rust is only a couple of episodes in, so no hurry there.

I'm watching a Brit series on Amazon Prime, Wire in the Blood. It's fairly average. Also looking at some lectures in The Great Courses collection I get through Prime.

Leaving aside anime(Komi-san Can’t Communicate starts in about 3 weeks!!!!!), I am almost done with Kim’s Convenience(freaking awesome sitcom about a Korean family that owns a store in Toronto) on Netflix, almost done with the first season of The Boys(which is a little heavy handed in its social satire, but still interesting) on Amazon, and watching Dark Side of the Ring(excellent documentary on events in pro wrestling) each week on Vice.

Been watching some of the prime time stuff like the FBI series and New Amsterdam and a few movies like A quiet place 1&2 and the new movie with Matt Damon.
My dear wife is sorta hooked on South Korean dramas. Some of them are bearable and a few are pretty cool and the others have me spending a lot of time in my little backyard observatory....smoking a joint and thinking.."Take the bad with the good...take the bad with the good......

I binged Visible on Apple tv. It's about the history of LBGTQs in television. Excellent.

Started watching the pilot episode of Midnight Mass on Netflix. So far not a whole lot going on, was expecting something more disturbing along the line of Haunting of Hill House.

Finished The Boys. It was not bad, but could have been so much better in the hands of decent writers. Homelander could have been a great character with just a little ambiguity. Make him think he is the good guy instead of just a parody villain of a right winger.

Started watching I ZOmbie on Netflix. It is a TV series about a woman who becomes a zombie, gets a job at the morgue so she has a source of brains without killing people, and helps solve crime. It is kinda terrible, but kinda great. Plus lots of bad puns!

We’re watching Squid Game and Only Murders in the Building, both excellent though completely different animals.

My advice: pay for Netflix, torrent Squid Game, and then attach non-HI subtitles. The dubbed version is robbed of gravitas, and the HI subtitles, which is all Netflix offers, completely breaks immersion.

Yes, the show is worth going through all that hassle.

We’re watching Squid Game and Only Murders in the Building, both excellent though completely different animals.

My advice: pay for Netflix, torrent Squid Game, and then attach non-HI subtitles. The dubbed version is robbed of gravitas, and the HI subtitles, which is all Netflix offers, completely breaks immersion.

Yes, the show is worth going through all that hassle.
Just started watching Squid Game. I was able to select subtitles instead of subtitles with CC (Closed Captioning) which got rid of -DOOR SLAMS- and the like.

Just started watching Squid Game. I was able to select subtitles instead of subtitles with CC (Closed Captioning) which got rid of -DOOR SLAMS- and the like.
I’ll try it!

Confirmed.

I highly recommend it.
Question: I paint for a living and like listening to stories while doing so (generally making me a big fan of podcasts). Some movies I can listen to and intuit the story without missing too much, others not so much. Broadchurch was basically a perfect murder mystery I could paint to because I could follow the plot without having to drag my attention away from my painting to look at the screen. Can I do this with Foyle’s War?

Question: I paint for a living and like listening to stories while doing so (generally making me a big fan of podcasts). Some movies I can listen to and intuit the story without missing too much, others not so much. Broadchurch was basically a perfect murder mystery I could paint to because I could follow the plot without having to drag my attention away from my painting to look at the screen. Can I do this with Foyle’s War?
Possibly, but I would recommend watching at least one episode to get an idea about the characters and setting.
as an aside

Lucifer, Star Trek Discovery, Angel, Perception, Buffy the vampire slayer, the Blacklist, Agatha Christie''s miss Marple, Midsomer murders, Death in Paradise, just to name a few I am watching at the moment.

Spoiler-free commentary:

After watching episode 6 of Squid Game, two thoughts occupy my head simultaneously:

1) This is an utterly phenomenal, unique and brilliant show, and
2) I can’t believe any network would believe this kind of thing would be acceptable to air to the general public. If you’re a parent and choose to let your children watch this, you’re either a failure as a parent or a genius at navigating a host of extremely difficult conversations you’ll be having with them afterwards.

In any case, it’s something that would have been impossible to produce in America.
iler-free commentary of Squid Game:

What does it say about you as a person if you find Squid games enjoyable?

The show is repulsive.

What does it say about you as a person if you find Squid games enjoyable?

The show is repulsive.
Spoiler:

It’s got some dark moments to be sure. But it’s an incredibly told story with three-dimensional characters and rich character arcs just the same. Korean cinema’s got a thing for taking losers and putting them through hell in order to make them larger and fuller figures.

And as the craft of story telling goes, there’s essentially nothing to fault. The pacing is basically perfect, and no moment or line has no value. It’s a flawless hero’s journey..

Back
Top Bottom