• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are You Reading Right Now?

bhkad

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What Are You Reading Right Now?

What I am reading is a transcript from the Charlie Rose show; an hour-long interview with David Kilcullen.

Biography

David Kilcullen Ph.D. is a leading contemporary practitioner and theorist of counterinsurgency and counterterrorism. A former Australian Army officer, he left the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel in 2005 and is now a senior civil servant, seconded to the United States State Department. He is currently serving as Senior Counterinsurgency Adviser, Multi-National Force - Iraq, a civilian position on the personal staff of American General David Howell Petraeus.

Source - David Kilcullen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American Photo(Magazine) - January/February 2008 Edition.

Reading : Reading about Michael Kambers amazing photographic coverage of the Iraq war. Just so you can guys can see the image I'm looking at as I read the article :

KamberIraq.jpg

I hate to admit it but war is both a romantically beautiful poem and horribly catastrophic song of death all at the same time.

American Photo(Magazine) - January/February 2008 Edition.

Reading : Reading about Michael Kambers amazing photographic coverage of the Iraq war. Just so you can guys can see the image I'm looking at as I read the article :

KamberIraq.jpg

I hate to admit it but war is both a romantically beautiful poem and horribly catastrophic song of death all at the same time.

A little something for everyone, I suppose. :-(

I was just rereading Animal Farm for the millionth time. The more you read it, the more thinly veiled the symbols become. :2razz:

I agree. I have Animal Farm and 1984 in one book. Right now I am reading Colbert's I Am America and so Can You.

I was just rereading Animal Farm for the millionth time. The more you read it, the more thinly veiled the symbols become. :2razz:

it's the story with the communist pigs? First book I read in English, 4 or 5 years ago!

I m reading my Mind ... A lot of knowledge in there :whothere:

I know this much is true, by Wally Lamb.

The Shock Doctrine

Here's an interview with Naomi Klein on DemocracyNow. The concept is interesting, but a bit too far fetched I think...

I'm not so sure about collective psychological impairment. It reminds me of Freud's take on evolution and collective regression. It might just be spin off of this same concept.

Oh, and I'm reading Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

Here's an interview with Naomi Klein on DemocracyNow. The concept is interesting, but a bit too far fetched I think...

I'm not so sure about collective psychological impairment. It reminds me of Freud's take on evolution and collective regression. It might just be spin off of this same concept.

Oh, and I'm reading Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

I haven't gotten very far, but the beginning is all about the "work" of a Canadian psychiatrist who was contracted by the CIA, working on what eventually became MKUltra. Pretty interesting, there is a bunch about Milton Friedman and the "Chicago Boys" and the schemes they had, and how they could only be enacted after some type of shock.

I haven't gotten very far, but the beginning is all about the "work" of a Canadian psychiatrist who was contracted by the CIA, working on what eventually became MKUltra. Pretty interesting, there is a bunch about Milton Friedman and the "Chicago Boys" and the schemes they had, and how they could only be enacted after some type of shock.

Yea, Naomi Klein is a fan of Friedman, who is a great economist in his own right. But the way she tells her theory makes it sound so much like science fiction. I'm sure you'll have fun with it though.

Yea, Naomi Klein is a fan of Friedman, who is a great economist in his own right. But the way she tells her theory makes it sound so much like science fiction. I'm sure you'll have fun with it though.

Didn't Pinochet try Friedman's theory?

I agree. I have Animal Farm and 1984 in one book. Right now I am reading Colbert's I Am America and so Can You.
Ooh I got that for Christmas. It's very funny.

it's the story with the communist pigs? First book I read in English, 4 or 5 years ago!
Yeah it is! It's really intelligent and it has some great lines. But it's also a really blatant attack on the USSR. XD

...a whole lot of paper!

DSC01205.jpg

(...and that's only one course :boohoo: )

Pshhh, you shoulda seen my table during my accounting and auditing finals 2 weeks ago. Tax law makes me cry...

Back
Top Bottom