• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are You Reading Right Now?

91Zf7paGFaL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Stalinism at War: The Soviet Union in World War II

By Mark Edele - Bloomsbury Academic - 2021 - 272pp

The material is organized as a succession of chronologically arranged essays, each dedicated to a specific facet of the Soviet wartime experience. It’s a format that sees Edele at his most thought-provoking and provocative. These subjects could fill (and have filled) tomes. But Edele writes with a lively elegance that makes his narrative a genuine pleasure to read. His reluctance to get bogged down in the minutiae of war or to take sides in obscure historiographical debates keeps the text fresh and readable.

Just finished The Boy in the Suitcase

Going for sci-fi fiction next, will see what Amazon suggests.

Just finished The Boy in the Suitcase

Going for sci-fi fiction next, will see what Amazon suggests.
Do you have any particular types of sci-fi you prefer?

419hdVWLbxL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

The Big Cheat: How Donald Trump Fleeced America and Enriched Himself and His Family

By David Cay Johnston - Simon & Schuster - 2021 - 304pp

Every American of voting age should read this book. The depth of corruption the Trump administration reached was boundless and I believe this book is only the beginning of what we’ll discover as more people talk.

I'm reading the Witcher series. Presently reading the Lady of the Lake. That book as well as the previous, Tower of the Swallow were very good. The others in the series. I can't say much for. They were overly boring. The author, Andrzej Sapkowski goes into minute detail concerning the many kingdoms, ruled by so and so. They were the greatest cure for insomnia. If anyone is thinking about purchasing all 8 books. Rethink it. I paid $84 for the series from Amazon, spurred on by the latest first season of the Witcher on Netflix. What a letdown regarding the books.

I'm reading "Legacy" by Susan Kay. It's about Queen Elizabeth.

Making my.way through the Velgarth series of books by Mercedes Lackey, listening to the audiobooks in chronological order.

I finished His Majesty’s Dragon, first book in a light fantasy trilogy about dragons being used as air support during England’s war with Napoleon. It’s ok, but not a patch on Naomi Novak’s two great fairy tale reworkings, uprooted and Spinning Silver.

Grant Invades Tennessee

Interesting facts relative to how close we came to never hearing of a General Grant. Often overlooked battles in the Western theatre
——
When General Ulysses S. Grant targeted Forts Henry and Donelson, he penetrated the Confederacy at one of its most vulnerable points, setting in motion events that would elevate his own status, demoralize the Confederate leadership and citizenry, and, significantly, tear the western Confederacy asunder.0C129A34-ED77-4C1E-9F38-7A6C0A0AE72D.jpeg

I finished His Majesty’s Dragon, first book in a light fantasy trilogy about dragons being used as air support during England’s war with Napoleon. It’s ok, but not a patch on Naomi Novak’s two great fairy tale reworkings, uprooted and Spinning Silver.
I do like books where they bring the mythological into more modern times, and theorize on how it would have all developed.

71bKYbuasOL._AC_UY218_.jpg

The Herods: Murder, Politics, and the Art of Succession

By by Bruce Chilton - Fortress Press - 2021 - 365pp.

Very thorough, very dry, yet very enlightening. Covers the Herodian Dynasty from Antipater through Bereniké and Agrippa II.

Reading "Liftoff: Elon Musk and the Desperate Early Days that Launched Space X

Great book! I am really interested in the their experiences in Kwajelein where they launched their first 4 rockets. The first one blew up after 34 seconds, the second one got to space, but the second stage failed, and the third on crashed when the first stage failed to disengage from the second. I nearly went to Kwaj about 10 years ago, made it pretty far in the interview process to be an HR Director over there. Not sure if I would have gone, I didn't want to be separated from my father, who was only around for another year after I interviewed. Not sure if I could have handled living there...tax free, and amazing weather and great scuba diving...but very remote from anyone.

LO.jpg

1DB225D3-FB2A-490F-BBAA-03A9FCD89160.png
Reading this in preparation for a trip to the Yucatán.

Amazing story of the two guys who basically discovered many lost Mayan cities and changed archaeology as we know it.

81YV5ytyzNL._AC_UY218_.jpg

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: A First Historical Assessment

by Julian E. Zelizer - Princeton University Press - 2022 - 488pp

For much of his presidency, Donald Trump routinely made bold claims about his administration’s prominent place in history. Now we have the first full assessment of the Trump presidency by a group of first-rate American historians.

Eddie's Boy by Thomas Perry. Thomas Perry is one of my favorite authors.

A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym. I used to read her novels rather obsessively when I was young, then I forgot about her. I have been rediscovering her and finding her a revelation.

Cover.jpg

I haven't had a lot of time to read these days, but I finally got through some Sanderson and started in on:
View attachment 67352751
Ugg, used to have a lot more time to read. But so far this book has been great. I mean, any book that within the first chapter starts discussions on physics and acceleration measurements has to be good.

lol

Just finished reading this, it's pretty much the exact opposite of Don't look up

Catcher in the Rye.

It was on our reading list in HS as a possible "choice" - I chose to read both The Odyssey and The Iliad instead. Always promised myself I'd read it "some day".

Catcher in the Rye.

It was on our reading list in HS as a possible "choice" - I chose to read both The Odyssey and The Iliad instead. Always promised myself I'd read it "some day".
A classic. Read it a few times when I was a teenager. Wonder if I would like it now I’m much older.

Just finished Good Behaviour by Molly Keane. Now I’ve started on Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Back
Top Bottom