• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are you listening to? ver. 15.0

Do you really know what "people" are "set on"? Just because of songs posted here?

From what is "here there and everywhere." ;)

Are you seriously going to tell me that Pop music does not dominate what Americans listen to and that the guitar is not the dominate instrument?

From what is "here there and everywhere." ;)

Are you seriously going to tell me that Pop music does not dominate what Americans listen to and that the guitar is not the dominate instrument?

No. But to state that no one listens to anything else is totally different.

"Jarabi"
Toumani Diabaté and Sidiki Diabaté

These musicians are playing the kora. It is a 21 stringed instrument that combines the lute and the harp. It is played in Senegal and other West African countries.

No. But to state that no one listens to anything else is totally different.

where did I write this, can you please quote this for me, thanks.

It does seem an overreach. Not something I would normally say or should say.

My point was that soooooooooooooooo much pother music is missed as a result.

If you are arguing that you want to broaden the musical education of children in the United States so that they can appreciate and understand many genres of music, you will get no argument from me! I strongly support musical education. Is that what you would ultimately like to see happen in order to change American tastes? (And should this thread be somewhere else ?)

where did I write this, can you please quote this for me, thanks.

It does seem an overreach. Not something I would normally say or should say.

You did not say it. But your obsession with the dominance of pop and guitar shows a fear that people are leaning that way. As I said above, though, I am in favor of broadening musical horizons.

If you are arguing that you want to broaden the musical education of children in the United States so that they can appreciate and understand many genres of music, you will get no argument from me! I strongly support musical education. Is that what you would ultimately like to see happen in order to change American tastes? (And should this thread be somewhere else ?)

No, not really my desire.

I had no real intent with my post. I was just venting frustration that I was so long mired in Pop Rock guitar and wondered why we have effectively shut the door to so much differencing instruments as a centerpiece of the sounds we appreciate.

Teaching music in school, IMO would do little as music popularity is really intertwined with cultural identification rather than an appreciation of the differing sounds.
It's no coincidence that differing types of music tend to be appreciated by different cultures no matter what the exposures.

Music is very much as much an identification of tribe as it the cloths you wear or the smartphone brand you choose.

You did not say it. But your obsession with the dominance of pop and guitar shows a fear that people are leaning that way. As I said above, though, I am in favor of broadening musical horizons.

Well, I am relieved that I did not say that but I am a bit upset you attributed that to me. Luckily I'll easily get over that "smarts."

What is it that makes me want to shake people who still listen to rock guitar based music and say, "wake the **** up!"

I don't know. You thoughts on why I may feel so frustrated by the actions of others in this regard? I shouldn't.

Music is very much as much an identification of tribe as it the cloths you wear or the smartphone brand you choose.

To some extent this is true, but when children are exposed to many possibilities early in life, some of the ones whose "tribe" might make narrow choices can have their horizons broadened. Our town offers free music camp that lasts all day, five days a week, both to orchestra and to band students. The camp complements a good music program in the schools. Professional music teachers from the school system work there. Once a week the children put on a concert with new music they have learned that week for their parents and other campers. Poor kids can go as well as rich. Everyone is exposed to great music. I drove my daughter in a carpool there with two other elementary school age girls from our area of town for years. My daughter played the cello; one girl played the violin; the other played the viola. The kids were so flexible and young that they could do anything musically. During the day at camp, they all played each others' instruments. I, who had never played a string instrument and had trouble figuring out my daughter's cello, had no idea how all three of them could move from instrument to instrument! The children who were exposed to music early were not forced to spend their lives following one tribe, even if they chose to do so for social reasons at one time or another.

To some extent this is true, but when children are exposed to many possibilities early in life, some of the ones whose "tribe" might make narrow choices can have their horizons broadened.

The exposures you give a child will inspire them when choosing a tribe. In that you are correct.

You children sound accomplished.

The exposures you give a child will inspire them when choosing a tribe. In that you are correct.

You children sound accomplished.

I only have one child, the others were just children from the same elementary school (and later middle school). All the kids were accomplished because their natural talents were nurtured, but thank you.

I only have one child, the others were just children from the same elementary school (and later middle school). All the kids were accomplished because their natural talents were nurtured, but thank you.

I too have one, 3 times though.

Ringo Starr: 80 years old Paul
McCartney: 78 years old.
Still making better music than the crap that's out nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom